Shutter vs horizon

Yea, it seems like many new players always opt for one or the other for their first metal. I got the Canon instead though, lol.

I have never played with either of these yoyos tbh, but the Shutter WA is on my to buy list and the Horizon is not. Horizon looks like a V shape masquerading as an H with an uncomfortable catch, and the Shutter looks like your good ole reliable EDC. I think it speaks volumes for the fact that the Shutter still gets attention while the Horizon has significantly fell in popularity. From what ive gathered, the Shutter is a better beginner yoyo that is versatile while the Horizon is an outdated competition yoyo.

1 Like

Thereā€™s definitely a rivalry between them. I feel like thatā€™s because theyā€™re so different so players who dislike one might gravitate strongly towards the other.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s fair to say that the Horizon is outdated. It got an Ultra release around the same time the Wide Angle came out. Itā€™s just not as popular these days. And from what I understand itā€™s supposed to be better at horizontal.

But fair to say that the Shutter has remained more relevant/meta.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Paul even uses it in competition any more - I believe at Mexican Nats he used an MVP

1 Like

I think it says a lot that Gentry has kept the Shutter as his signature after this long with only slight tweaks to the bearing wall, weight and weight distribution. No bimetal, no 7075 upgrade, only the Wide Angle which he says is no an upgrade just a variation.

2 Likes

Huh. Didnā€™t know that!

If ā€œoutdatedā€ means ā€œnot used for competitionā€ then yeah that makes sense.

Is the MVP 3 associated with Paul at all?

Well said! Shutter FTW on more balanced overall yoyo. Horizon FTW on the character/magic factor.

1 Like

Yep, see the description here:

From Paul Kerbel: Back in 2010 the earlier version of this yo-yo the MVP was my weapon of choice. It really helped me shape my style of tricks with itā€™s power and stability, allowing me to push the boundaries of yo-yoing with the horizontal circular Eli hops. Letā€™s see if we can push the boundaries of modern yo-yoing even further!

2 Likes

Interesting. Same stability much more speed. If he doesnā€™t use it in competition he prolly should. Itā€™s so good! I actually landed the throw it in your hat trick he does with the MVP the other day!

1 Like

Ah I did a quick Google search for ā€œPaul Kerbel signatureā€ and didnā€™t pull anything so I assumed the Horizon Ultra was his most recent signature.

Yeah, that design really seems to have been honed for him, and heā€™s done a really good job of positioning the various Shutter models as variations and not successors of one another, even with the Shu-Ta 1 & 2 and now the Wide Angle. In general, Iā€™d say that Gentry does the best branding out of any player I know of. Thatā€™s not to take away from the Shutterā€”I do reach for my Shutter more than my Horizon, and voted for the Shutter in the poll aboveā€”but I think the Shutter lineā€™s as strong as it is because Gentry built a better brand around it than you generally see around any specific model or line.

3 Likes

I feel like if JonRob was as big now as he was when I was around that he would stand out in a similar way. But then again that was golden age of 5A where every top 5A player (at least US based) had a completely unique style. JonRob just oozed style though.

1 Like

Evan Nagao is close with his Edge series yoyos.

3 Likes

True but I dunno if any single one of his throws is gonna have the staying power of the OG Shutter. You can argue that the OG Edge and 1.5 are obsolete because he uses the Edge Beyond in competition now. Evanā€™s building wide while Gentry built tall, and the Shutter endures even when Gentry isnā€™t US or World Champion. Idk if the Edge brand will be quite as enduring as the Shutter brand.

Edit: or rather, as enduring when new Edge line throws arenā€™t coming out as often

3 Likes