Show some wooden yoyos you've made

I made this leather yo-yo and it works very well to my surprise. I realize this isn’t wood, although the axle is oak, and don’t have a leather yo-yo topic so I’m posting it here.

32 Likes

Extremely cool. Sho1’s leather yoyos are so cool I’m surprised more people haven’t tried to make highly playable fixies out of strange materials. I’d love to try a leather fixed axle yoyo some day.

What are you doing for the response on it. Is it just very narrow gap width or do you have some kind of negative drilled hole response going on as well.

1 Like

The leather closest to the axle has a very rough texture which seems to be enough for a consistent return. No holes drilled. I would like try this again, but with a slightly narrower profile.

3 Likes

I have a question about response on wood imperial-shaped yo-yos. Is there a consensus on preferred response systems for these? Like wood wall response only, response holes, etc?

Also do people prefer the gap to be smaller or larger at all compared to butterfly-shaped ones?

1 Like

My personal preference: response holed and smaller gap.

v/r
Jeff

4 Likes

I love the Schmoove on wood. It helps with giving the wound string room and prevent the string from getting jammed in the gap.

Maybe even a bunch of schmoove rings like the Ywet?

And a bigger gap. :laughing:

3 Likes

This gloriously-grained throw is going to @RC_yo-yo

And this stunner is headed to @Glenacius_K

35 Likes

A few more from this evening:

Wenge butterfly

Red oak slimline

Purpleheart butterfly (should purple more with time)

25 Likes

Also, just in:

19 Likes

Both are beautiful, but loving the pink. :100:

1 Like

The pink is pretty wild. The tamer looking SpectraPly will look pretty cool with a light finish. More like this:

9 Likes

Also, funny story. I finally found some yellow birch to turn for axles. I must have misunderstood the size I was ordering, because this pile of big boys showed up. I was imagining a handful of pen blanks :joy:

13 Likes

Time to make a really big yo-yo.

2 Likes

Time for some yellow birch one-piece yoyos.

5 Likes

@Woozie @Glenacius_K
Yes and yes :grin:

4 Likes

Ok, time to use some of that yellow birch to make a one piece.

Here’s the “before” picture.

We’ll see if the “after” picture is playable. :crossed_fingers:

12 Likes

A long, long overdue Button for @TheThrowingGnome. I’m not happy with how the engraving tuned out over thw acryllic paint, but I can paint over it if you’d like @TheThrowingGnome.

It’s red oak.

22 Likes

Oh wow! Looks great as is! Thank you Glen!

1 Like

Just need your full name and Ill send it asap.

1 Like

Just finished this ash fixie. Hoping to finish more yoyos this weekend. I’ve got a few that just need to be sanded.

25 Likes