Show some wooden yoyos you've made

I’m trying your boiled linseed oil suggestion on a few throws. They’ve received two coats and now need to cure for 3-4 days. The throws from left to right are an ash Zipline x TMBR Wood•Z, maple Spinworthy Knack, and maple Spinworthy Blood Cell. I really like how the oil slightly tints the maple.

20 Likes

Nice! Glad you are giving it a go! Make sure to wipe off anything extra after the second coat. Really makes the grain pop without changing color huh?

1 Like

Since I’m back in America for a short time, I have been looking through my stuff and gathering materials needed to make something. Lathe is set up!

My wood collection looking amazing for yoyos. Got some really pretty woods im considering using. Also gonna try using a metal axle with wood body that might give longer sleep times and still retain tight response. Gonna have to play with it a little.

10 Likes

Sounds great Adam! Have fun! Would love to try a prototype if you’re interested. You back in NA for the holidays?

2 Likes

Ok I will send you one. Yep here until feb. I will start making in January.

4 Likes

#4 looks like the winner to me, but damn if all of them don’t look great! Id be down with buying a custom build with what you have if you are into it.

1 Like

These look fantastic! Great work. What do the axles look like?

3 Likes

What do you have in mind?

These are rejects because the grooves aren’t symmetrical but it should give you a good idea. I use 3/8 walnut and put a groove then cut them to length.
I show how I make them in one of my YouTube videos
How I make wood yo-yos part 8 - YouTube

7 Likes

This is possibly the best yo-yo I’ve made so far and personally I think it’s the most beautiful. Custom built for a family member’s Christmas present. It’s 63g and most of it’s in the rims. Bocote wood with Bolivian rose wood rims with walnut axle. I originally planned on making several of these but between my ignorance and flaws in the woods, this is the only one that came out as intended with the full dimensions.

34 Likes

Beautiful heirloom. Terrific work!

5 Likes

Wowwie that’s a beauty

2 Likes

Made a couple of Bloodcells yesterday.

35 Likes

Wow Volksrob.
Fantastic stuff. You,ve inspired me to try again with a lathe. Just got to go out and get one, rather than make one. Between you and @Glenacius_K I should be able to come up with something. Be prepared for questions :laughing:

3 Likes

Cool. Ask away. I’m still learning but I’ll be glad to share what little I know. There are a ton of used ones on OfferUp usually for pretty cheap.

1 Like

For Christmas I got a huge box full of beautiful woods. There’s padauk, purple heart, maple, walnut, cherry and a type of rose wood, goncalo alves, and a block of iron wood.
And I got a set of carbide tipped lathe tools!

21 Likes

Nice selection of blanks.
I,ve just finished watching your ytube video. Brilliant. Well done, I,m looking forward to more :smiley:.
On one of your videos you mention sharpening, I use a piece of leather with polishing compound rubbed on. It keeps a very nice edge.

1 Like

I’ll have to try the leather trick. What type of polishing compound do you use?

1 Like

Those carbide tip tools are expensive! I just made my own, bought the tips and square stock then turned some handles. They really are game changing

1 Like

I’ve watched a few videos on how to use them. I’ll test them out today!