Show some wooden yoyos you've made

I was talking about walnut oil

I’m aware. My reply was meant for a contextual point of reference for others in case they are reading through the threads and wanting to know more about these oils and finishes everyone is talking about.

2 Likes

Christmas gave me a excuse to go spend money at the woodworking supply store. From top Bolivian rose wood, bocote and curly bubinga with walnut for axles.

15 Likes

Yes!

1 Like

I started the next batch. I’m making one for a Christmas present so I figured I might as well make some more. This time I want to do cash or trade in case someone doesn’t have anything they want to trade. What do you think would be a fair price to put on my yo-yos?

3 Likes

That depends on your materials cost and how much you value your time. If you’re asking how much I would pay, the answer is $45 - $60 depending on the yoyo.

5 Likes

Agreed. 45-60, plus 5 for shipping.

1 Like

Red oak and a couple that I think are beechwood

30 Likes

What are you using to measure the gap width and what gap width are you using?

-Also, how to ensure that when gluing up the axle and caps that both halfs are as straight as can be (to minimize vibe and such)

1 Like

I use these R2FG (I think) stands. I take them apart and use them as spacers. They are 3mm thick which seems to work really well.

17 Likes

Those look beautiful.

4 Likes

I SAID TO MYSELF NO MORE YOYOS. BUT NOW IT’S WHAT’S JUST OOOOOOOONE MORE…? This text will be hidden

5 Likes

Those look amazing!

1 Like

I’ve been gathering feedback from people and asking what people would want and this is the result. People kept asking for bigger diameter, wider, organic, and a lot of people want oak. Well I found red oak which I believe is harder, and harder to find, so more desirable(?).
60-62ish mm diameter about 45mm wide.
I had a few people ask for dimples for finger spin or pull start capabilities so I was able to make a few with dimples.
The rest were just free handed while trying to accommodate for natural defects and correcting my mistakes.
Two are made from a big block of wood that I salvaged from the scrap bin, but I think it’s beechwood. One is 60mm diameter and about 53mm width, and a smaller 55mm diameter with a about 52mm width.
All these numbers are not exact measurements because they are all currently wrapped in rubber bands, but when they are completely finished I will post more pics and accurate measurements with weights tomorrow for trade or sale
Thank you everyone for your support and feedback.

16 Likes

Those wide boys look super interesting, the beechwood just looks really pretty too. How do fixies that wide play? Does the massive nub in the cup give it enough center weight to still allow it to flip and regen smoothly?

2 Likes

I’m just as curious as you. Unfortunately I have to wait until the glue dries and then I’ll let you know. Yeah that wood polishes real nicely. You really don’t need a finish on that stuff.

4 Likes

Just need to string them up and test them out. I looked into 100% natural beeswax and it will not go bad or rancid and applying it on the lathe is super easy and looks incredible. It’s hard as a rock but the friction on the lathe heats it and gets it into the pores. Then you just hit it with a clean cloth and it shines better than a few coats of spray gloss laquer. But I know most of you will still prefer no finish so I left most of them natural.

22 Likes

Wow @RC_yo-yo very nice work indeed!

1 Like

#6 looks wild! Great work.

2 Likes

8, 9, and 3 look pretty sweet!

1 Like