Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Made a Boon today with a take apart design using magnets. It works well and does not come apart during play. The only downside is that the halves can slip during punch regen types of tricks. I have ideas of how to overcome this.

22 Likes

Very cool @Glenacius_K. Does the center piece come apart or or is it solid?

2 Likes

You mean the axle piece? Its solid.

3 Likes

Do you mean is it a take apart design? Yes it is.

1 Like

Ahh. I can see the whole thing comes apart. I was wondering if the center piece with the axle is take apart or solid. Really well made piece. I’m sure there are a collector or two that’d love to buy that.

3 Likes

If I can, I may make it something I make regularly. It has certain benefits over other take apart designs out there.

3 Likes

It might be too much of a pain but the slipping could be fixed by using two smaller rare earth magnets off set in each side instead of one that’s centered. Using the polarities properly the insert would only stay in one way. It’d add to the cost as well. Not sure if that makes sense or not lol.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought could do!

Also, I figure making the axle a tighter fit would be an easier solution.

3 Likes

If anyone is interested, some of the anvantages of this one over traditional threaded axle designs are:

• it is more precise than using threaded parts, so it results in smoother yoyos
  • no threads means added durability - No chance of ruining threads
  • yoyo can be tuned by twisting halves.

One big downside is the added weight from the magnets; 8g extra.

5 Likes

As always, your works looks fantastic @Glenacius_K. Super cool design. I appreciate how you look at things.

2 Likes

The biggest reason for a take apart design in my book, is to make it easier it get out axle knots. I can’t tell from the picture if your design accomplishes that?

It looks super cool though…

4 Likes

Yeah it makes it easier. Check out the axle in the first picture.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was. Just couldn’t quite tell.

As an alternative to the offset magnets, could you use a pin and hole?

3 Likes

Did this change the response system you make or are the holes still present?

1 Like

Holes not present. I made the walls of the axle high enough that there would be plenty of endgrain for good response and string grip. The walls on my axle are 25mm high. On TMBR models, they are 19mm.

2 Likes

Like drill a hole in the side of the yoyo and into the axle, then put a pin through it?

2 Likes

Before anyone asks, no you can’t use the axle as a mini yoyo on its own. I tried. :joy:

6 Likes

Right, a short pin in the side of the axle the would fit into a hole in the yoyo half to prevent it from slipping.

I guess that might mess up the smoothness…

2 Likes

Yeah I think it would.

1 Like

Plumber’s tape rotally fixed the half slipping that was happening. Still, I will make the axle tighter to fix it in future to avoid having to use it.

2 Likes