Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Haha! Yeah, some turners tend to be scared of the skew, but it’s nothing to be afraid of. I actually much refer to use a bedan than a skew.

2 Likes

This is a parallel spectra Bloodcell, and I don’t like it at all. It doesn’t look good and it was a pain to turn. The faces are endgrain which means they tear out easily and will look more and more dull with use.

13 Likes

:smile: Yeah, I’m not scared of any of them but only have a 12" swing over. The old timers turning tree trunks are the only people I’ve known of who have had tools ripped from their hands and thrown that hard. But some of their stories and pictures, but also drunk, according to them lol! But these days they turn between two rollers that hold and stabilize so its not near the drama.

I have snapped a couple tools but figured that was a heat treat issue since they were HSS. @1hp I’m more likely to just stall or stop the wood as have it flip a tool loose from my grip.

2 Likes

You manages to snap HSS tools? We’re they proper Sheffield steel stuff? (I mean not cheap Chinese ones)

1 Like

This fellow. Robert Sorby (sp?) Not sure of the standing in worldwide opinion. I’ve had nothing but performance otherwise. They were both from my smaller tool line and not overheated in sharpening. I’ve only used a slow speed grinder on them, but not always done the perfect shaping. :innocent:

4 Likes

Yes I suppose Sorby are OK even though they have only been making tools for over 200 years.:joy:.

I’ve never bothered getting a slow speed grinder, but everyone seems to recommend them. I use a CBN wheel on my grinder, so overheating isn’t a problem.

3 Likes

They’re OK if you’re used to drinking canned beer. :grinning: Marketing in the US always makes you wonder though. But as they say, a real artist never blames their tools. But those 2 can go… can themselves. :rofl:

2 Likes

I made these and a couple more out of Ambrosia maple. Experimenting with different diameters and profiles. The unturned pieces are canary wood I’m gonna turn in a couple days.

16 Likes

Looks great @vegabomb!

What are you using for axles?

5 Likes

Thanks Glen. :slight_smile:

1/4” walnut. I’m going to try others as well.

5 Likes

Sorby tools, or CBN wheels?

3 Likes

How’s the spin on these?

2 Likes

They spin great. They all have pretty high walls so stalls are nice.

4 Likes

Very nice! Did you burn that lettering by hand? I have a woodburning kit and ordered 3 $5 plain woods from YYF and hopefully they should be here tomorrow. I’m going to try put designs on them.

4 Likes

Thanks! No, I have a laser that I burned them with.

3 Likes

Those look really cool! I like the lettering, what does it mean?

3 Likes

Thanks! I wanted to brand the yoyos I made so years from now folks can say “oh that’s one of the awful yoyos vegabomb made back in the day…” lol.

“Cavemen go” is from a song by David Bowie. (possibly the best rock song ever recorded. :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Never heard of CBN wheels. So…

2 Likes

Dope! I think it looks really cool and minimalist!! I’ll have to check the song out too

2 Likes

They look really nice!

3 Likes