Show some plastic yoyos you made

There is also a potential for an “Adjustable Gap”, I look forward to see what you come up with. :yo-yo: onward :+1:

1 Like

Mine won’t have an adjustable gap. You really don’t need it.

2 Likes

Made some blank halves and tapped them and made a threaded axle to fit them. It’s not a finished yoyo, but it’s holding very well with hard throws. It spins very smoothly too. It it can’t be stripped with overtightening it seems which is nice.

14 Likes

Interesting. How does it do with concrete “accidents”?

3 Likes

I can see no reason why it wouldn’t hold with a beating.

2 Likes

You gotta do the science, man!

3 Likes

Oh I just can’t bring myself to beat it up… Maybe I’ll have to. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

I just threw into a hard floor with a lot of force a few times. No loosening of the axle whatsoever.

4 Likes

Sounds promising, I’m always partial to a take apart fixed axle design. Picking knots, especially in a high wall shape, can get pretty frustrating at times.

5 Likes

Yes it can be frustrating. I like take apart designs because it means the axle can be replaced.

4 Likes

Well the threaded axle Survivalist looks successful. It plays just as well as the glued in axle version and does not come apart so far.

The reason for experimenting with threading was to solve the problem of the glue failing in the yoyo when it experiences changes in temperature. I researched different adhesives suitable, and they are expensive and hard to come by. A plastics expert also told me that PE plastics simply can’t be glued; at least not permanently.

Now Survivalists can be made from 100% UHMWPE or HDPE. Axles can also be replaced (If you manage to actually wear one out). I may end up making all the axles from POM, though because it machines a little better.

26 Likes

Looks awesome!

4 Likes

Looks like a great solution! Super nice.

1 Like

oof this might get me into fixed axle if I could pick one of these up ( is I could afford it )
:yo-yo:

3 Likes

Very cool! Axle doesn’t come loose in play, over time, or with temperature changes (which imply expansion / contraction of material)?

I like to test things :wink:

6 Likes

The axle seems to stay solid over time, but obviously I have tested over a long period. Even if it does loosen, one quick tiny crank will do the trick. The temperature changes should not be an issue, but I will tighten it an put it in the freezer, then test.

7 Likes

Into the freezer it goes…

This is a new post, but it won’t allow me to make another before someone else. :confused:

After throwing a very frosty Survivalist I can safely say the axle stayed firm after going from my warm house and into the freezer for a while.

Next test:

16 Likes

I don’t even have it anymore but most of the Smashing team still do (I gave mine away). I made a Delrin prototype that we never released. It was a lot of fun but needed a lot of work and we never got around to it. Pictured here next to the Spectacle prototypes as we got them on the same run.

24 Likes

woaaaaaah

3 Likes

Played perfectly after being submerged. I’m confident these Survivalists can hold up.

10 Likes