Show some plastic yoyos you made

Would you say they can…

:sparkles: SURVIVE? :sparkles:

15 Likes

Lol!

2 Likes

Aw man that delrin looks spicy!

3 Likes

Soon I’d like to turn a W delrin… One that does not weigh 80+ grams. Lol.

I need to make some specific tools to achieve it. That will be fun too.

6 Likes

Prepping to make a run of Survivalists. Just waiting for some small tools to the post and then I can begin.

16 Likes

Made it for a school project. Plays way too light and the guts are the wrong sizes so I had to carve it out by hand with a knife. It’s playable at least.

24 Likes

Those Survivalists look great Glen. Nice to see you put them through some tests. I’d imagine as you said that a simple snug up occasionally is all they’d need. I do that fairly regularly with any of my wooden screw together yoyos.

Wait… did we decide what a W shaped yoyo is?
:smile::innocent:

10 Likes

:man_facepalming::joy:

3 Likes

Made a jarrah and POM chuck today which will allow me to remove more centerweight in my POM unresponsives as well as open up greater design potential for the cup of my yoyos. The POM dowel is turned to the exact diameter of the seat recess of my unresponsives enabling me to mount them by it. I tested it on an old yoyo halve I turned and it works really well.

It may look really simple, but requires a fair bit of precision for it to work properly.

Looking forward to making something very nice really soon using this!

21 Likes

Bump for Glen

6 Likes

Also noticing in that it says that different chemical firms have slightly different chemical formulas and release under the different brand names. So, could there be slight differences in Delrin vs Celcon or other brand name ones?

1 Like

There are some differences, but in most situations the difference is so small it won’t matter.

4 Likes

So today I tested the same survivalist I subjected to the previous tests by throwing it very hard (unattached to my finger) on the ground (thin carpet over concrete). I threw it several times really hard as well as got some kids in my class to also throw it on the ground hard while standing on the chair. No breaking.

I also tried stomping on the yoyo and walking over it a couple of times and still it didn’t break.

It survived everything without any significant damage at all and still plays just as well. The axle can bend ever so slightly, but it’s easy to bend back.

I’m happy with the results and will be making a batch ASAP.

13 Likes

I’m interested in designing a 4a yoyo at some point. Do ya think the PE plastic could withstand the torment offstring yoyos go through, or would POM or PC be the way to go ultimately. Any other plastics I should think of?

2 Likes

POM is a good choice for a 4A yoyo I think. It’s more rigid and allows for a better weight distribution.

UHMWPE is an extremely resiliant material, but thin areas could slightly deform with impact, although they can be bent back. It’s better when it’s left thick like in the body of the fixed axles I use.

Polycarbonate is fine, but I’m not a huge fan of the smashed candy look it get after it takes hits.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

Also, some machine shops that already make yoyos probably don’t have experience in turning UHMWPE and the shops that do have most likely never turned a yoyo.

2 Likes

I’m on my way to become a machinist myself so any info I can get will help :muscle:t2:

4 Likes

You should throw one off the top of Ayers Rock

7 Likes

@Grendel wanted an acetal FHZ, so I turned him my interpretation of one.

23 Likes