Restring Yo-Yo Without Loop

Hello! I recently picked up yo-yoing yesterday (a $6 wooden yo-yo I got from a trip, nothing too fancy, can do basic throws and sometimes the forward pass but can’t make it sleep for some reason) and was learning how to use the trapeze method to restring my yo-yo when some kind of big loop formed while restringing which made it impossible to throw. I took the yo-yo apart to get rid of that loop and I accidentally removed the entire string. Apparently there’s supposed to be a smaller loop at the other end that goes around the axle, which you can expand to restring the yo-yo, but this isn’t the case with my yo-yo (picture attached below):

Is there a way to create this smaller loop and revive my yo-yo? Thank you!

Can u post a picture of the entire string. I wanna see what the other side looks like. I’m wondering why ur string has 3 separate ends there which to my knowledge is not normal.

1 Like

So some people don’t get how yo-yos work and the string used is just twine or yarn. In that case the often “peg” the string in the yoyo. Best thing to do is either make your own string or buy some cheap cotton off yye. Also you’ll have to reglue the yoyo together. 7-8 playing cards should be good and wood glue works really well but honestly modge podge, Elmer’s glue or even super glue will work

I imagine based on the odd looking string and the way the dowel has a notch the string was just shoved inbetween the dowel and the YoYo halve and pegged in place before you took it apart

1 Like

If you want and you’re in the CONUS I’m happy to mail you a few cotton strings. Let me know and I’ll DM you.

3 Likes

Also, welcome, and happy throwing!

What you have there is a wooden fixed axle yoyo. If you get it reassembled and glued, come find us in the 0A thread for tricks:

Also the authoritative tutorial playlist:

4 Likes

@Yoyomikie @Captrogers
My mom saw the crime scene and temporarily fixed my yo-yo by tying a knot around the peg and putting the yo-yo back together-- it’s supposed to twist on and off with moderate strength, so I don’t think it will explode when I throw it around. If it does, however, I’ll definitely glue it! The other side is just your average finger hole, but let me know if you want to see what it looks like ^^

And thank you Keith for the warm welcome and playlist, happy to be here! (Sorry that I can’t mention you, new people can only mention two others at once) I’m okay on the cotton strings for now-- I’m still a casual, so I’ll spend some more time learning more tricks on my current yo-yo before deciding whether I want to get serious and buy a better one. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it!

EDIT: I jinxed myself… I tried a forward pass and the yoyo did in fact explode. I do have a second yo-yo of the exact same type so I can just keep practicing on that one before I glue up the first one.

3 Likes

@cinnamin Do you just have two wood yo-yos?

If you want I will gladly send you a plastic or metal beginner yoyo and accessories. Just send me a message. I got plenty of beaters to pass along in my collection.

2 Likes