Modding/fixing wooden yoyos

Recently I acquired 2 inexpensive wooden yoyos
To my disappointment they have the string wedge and glued with the axle. Also the string is the most horrible cheap synthetic string I’ve seen. The axles are slightly rough. I plan on cutting out as much if the string as possible and sand the axle a bit. Something of note, the inner walls have 3 holes drilled into each side in a symmetrical way, I assume that is it response method wich makes me question why they did it if they jammed the string with the axle. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

This should do the trick. Sanding may not be needed, just play time.

1 Like

To be honest I only plan on sanding the second one because the glue appears to have seep up the string onto the axle. But I’ll won’t know until I work on it later in the week.

Hey brother… I picked up 2 yoyo’s at Ace Hardware just Ike yours…I was able to pull them apart with equal strength on the caps! Then I removed…said glue & string from the axle…replaced caps with glue to make it permanent! Then got out some #6 white string& started throwing… working great to date!

2 Likes

I think if you use this method you should try to take one and drill the axle hole all the way through, then flip them into butterfly style. You’d have a butterfly fixie with fingerspin holes!

3 Likes

Tbh I think that how the original butterfly was made, they just flipped the parts from a imperial yoyo.

Thanks for the tip, I got my favorite cotton string coming in the mail in the next few days.

It is done

Currently waiting on strings

3 Likes

Look great!

2 Likes