Responsive Hypothetical

About a year ago - I was in the process of making the deep dive into quality responsive yoyos. (read thread). I now own Gamer lite, Confusion OG, El Mijo 6061, Moonshine 1 in my “premium” acquisitions. I also have a few 2A plastics and a Duncan Pro-Z.

I’ve got some money burning a hole in my Pocket… looking for suggestions to best round out my stable and to expand my responsive trick options.

right now on the radar I see…

Doc Pop Thing
El Mijo Polycarbonate
Impending unknown A-May-zing specials - Hope for a Confusion Hubstack deal?
Other?

What would best round out my options? Thx in advance.

2 Likes

weekender, day tripper

1 Like

Deep States are available again (new).

1 Like

Red Blood Cell. It’s the best! It’s the only yo-yo over $25 that I’ve let myself have two of.

4 Likes

yeah my RBC is fantastic my current favorite. I like my confusion. Ill add a good old duncan imperial especially the aluminum version just can’t be beat for some nostalgia.

any and all wood is good i like my legend and have a few others i enjoy but i’ve honestly never been disappointed by a wood throw even my proyo makes me happy for that fixed wood feel.

i pulled the trigger on the docpop thing just a moment ago and the moment the el mijo poly comes to market im throwing my money at zero gravity.

im on the look out for a weekender and eventually ill nab a deep state before they are gone. im also looking at the Origen it looks neat and hits that cheap price point im willing to toss money at. i also would love a gamer but money and isn’t infinite and i can imagine at this point my collection has more similar throws than not as i keep adding.

3 Likes

The DocPop Edition Thing just restocked…

3 Likes

I’m kinda at a pick one place that best compliments my collection.

Daytripper is a unicorn throw, but life maybe too short to wait for a drop.

The Deep State option sounds very interesting, but what does semi-responsive mean? Very viable option.

Doc Pop Thing seems like a gateway to 5A responsive, but does it make sense to trash a Butterfly XT in the learning process @ $5 or is worth picking up a Thing for better days. I am afraid to take my metals outside and this would be a good option for an EDC. Like to support the Doc - he’s awesome.

I have an El Mijo so is a poly just redundant or a totally new sensation.

RBC has all great reviews but for $90 I’d expect Red Colorway and a lap dance. That’s just me.

Underlying all my apprehension is my minimal skills and fear of damaging my expensive throws. Everyones feedback is much appreciated. Unfortunately there are no Yo-Yo showrooms to take test-drives.

4 Likes

I felt the same way about the rbc and i honestly was pretty freaked out by the idea of such an expensive yoyo but i finally decided to just go for it. I cut the string a tad short and generally dont take it over hard surfaces but i enjoy it allot. I always bring my legend or proyo or an old duncan imperial or something to throw when im not willing to risk the rbc lol

3 Likes

You want the new YYT/ Throwback Origen, unbelievable price point, metal responsive with RBC guts (bearing and pad standard.)

Mine should be here this afternoon.

9 Likes

I have a $5 Butterfly that I really enjoy and for that matter prefer at times over a handful of yoyos that are 10x the price (fixed axle vs. bearing).

But in general, I don’t let skill level or price determine what I buy/play. I have a Butterfly XT which I don’t really like. Playing that instead of a Thing which I do like wouldn’t make sense to me, even if I did damage the Thing.

4 Likes

So you still have “Gamer Lite, […] Confusion and Moonshine 1, [and] a El Mijo 6160”?

If budget is at all a concern, I think you’re good with what you have. Otherwise I’d get an RBC. It’s not more capable than what you’ve got, but it just has a very unique feel and a very nice response for simple comfort throwing. It stalls, flips, trapeezes, split bottom tricks etc just fine too, but is the only one that I think - compared to what you have - would really be different enough. imho

Very broadly speaking here…

Daytripper is kind of maybe a bit like a cross between the Gamer Light and Confusion (and as you mentioned, hard to find atm).

DP Thing is kind of like a plastic Gamer Light. It’s awesome and I play it more than my Gamer, but I wouldn’t mind if I only had one of the two.

2 Likes

new butterfly > xt

maybe…

new butterfly/3 = xt

Thanks for sharing this. I hadn’t seen it but it looks super interesting, especially for $20.

I haven’t even upgraded to the new Butterfly. I just find that the XT adds complication and inconsistency without adding enough performance (for my purposes).

I learned responsive 5A on a Butterfly XT with a homemade counterweight. It’s totally doable. I still use one with Big Fun caps (with a hole to make pull starts easier) and a Layer Infinity Monster Ball.

You’ve listed a bunch of metal so some plastic or wood would round out your collection.

The RBC just has something special about it.

I also recommend the Freehand One. I think it’s a must-have if you’re into responsive play, even though it’s not really a modern responsive/0a like many of these recommendations.

And if you want a 2a yoyo, Loop 720s seem to be the weapon of choice for many. I’m also really enjoying the C3 Initiator for 2a. The Initiator has a very smooth feeling that I like.

The Layer Infinity Kasm is also a delightful surprise. Who would have guessed that a 3D-printed responsive could be so good?

6 Likes

The Kasm is an awesome rec regardless of cost, but for the record is also quite affordable.

3 Likes

i would recommend adding 2x difeyo thin shims to the XT, with the slightly wider gap its a way better yoyo imho

2 Likes

I just learned about those the other day. That price point feels unreal. RBC bearing/pad setup, 55g weight, all for just 20 dollars??? And they’re going to be putting out more 0A tutorials. What an awesome release.

Really great stuff @MarkD

I’m excited to see more people picking those up. If I didn’t just buy a Kasm I would’ve immediately jumped on the Origen.

Kasm is great though, I got one the other day and I love the bearing locks it comes with. I always worried half size C bearing blanks would feel bad, but turning the B bearing of the Kasm into a blank with the included bearing locks actually feels great. I really like mine.

6 Likes

Good Stuff. I just ordered an Origen. Price is great, but the small bearing and MK1 reputation was the real deciding factor on making the purchase. Thanks for the tip.

May still need another purchase. Keep sharing those thoughts!

4 Likes