Responsive Hypothetical

I am a newbie and with all my hobbies, likely never gonna be that good at yo-yo but as a jack of all trades I want to learn. My interest is in responsive play.

Just say hypothetically that I purchased a Gamer Lite, found an A-May-zing deal on a Confusion and Moonshine 1, purchased a El Mijo 6160, did I do the right thing? Should I have done something different.

I’m looking for the play experience.

My plans are not to be a collector. And don’t worry I don’t need to decide between purchasing black market baby formula and any yo-yo purchase.

6 Likes

They are all good yoyos that will play responsively. Did you have a specific concern? You should be good

3 Likes

Get a Wood Fixie as well, Legend Wings are a good place to start

9 Likes

The RBC should be in this list. Best bearing responsive released in recent memory IMHO.

8 Likes

You have a pretty solid set of responsive players there. As others have mentioned, a fixie would be nice, the RBC is amazing, and you might also want to eventually pick up a Weekender or Daytripper.

2 Likes

you snagged a bunch of really good yoyos.

without having played the Moonshine 1, I think it would be most similar to the Gamer (62ish gram, C-sized bearing, with 21mm response pads in both) but thats hard to say.

responsive yoyoing is a blast, enjoy the ride.

1 Like

Appreciate everyones feedback.

My original plan was to start with plastic then grow into the higher end metal but opportunities have come up to build the collection - then learn to use them.

It’s addictive. I guess I am also looking for validation of my actions.

3 Likes

Allow me.

These are all responsive yoyos (although I have a few more now…). While I’m not the best player in the world, I stand by my original comment that you have a good set right now.

If I were starting my collection from scratch and trying to keep it minimal, I’d probably get:

• Confusion or Confusion Ti
  • Gamer Light and maybe a Delrin Gamer if I could find one
  • Moonshine or Sherpa or Burner
  • Alleycat 650b or maybe the OG Alleycat
  • RBC
  • Deep State and/or Deeper State
  • Weekender and/or Daytripper
  • Freehand 1
  • El Mijo 6061

Honestly, I really need to go through these and get rid of some of them… it’s just difficult to let go of them knowing that most of them aren’t readily available.

8 Likes

Of those that you got, I only have the El Mijo which I like. Good choice!

I’d also enthusiastically second the recommendations for the RBC (in stock), the Day Tripper (if you can find one), and a wooden responsive like the Legend Wing or anything that @Glenacius_K makes if you want something with a master craftsman’s touch.

5 Likes

If you find you really enjoy responsive then yea, get a fixie, tmbr and Spinworthy are the best of the best. Although I will say my wooden bloodcell plays a bit better then all the tmbrs I tried. Has a 4 hole response, non take apart. Always nice and snappy.

3 Likes

Malachi,

Very Impressive collection! When mine arrives, I may create my rendition of your photo.

Your list indicating “if you minimized”, Is it in any particular order of preference?

Lemme expand on this question. I saw someone suggest the Legend Wing. Well that one is my current fixie. What would be a good complement to this? Different yet also very good. I don’t mind if it costs a bit more.

I see a lot of love for the RBC for instance? Would that be interesting to me in my onward journey of 0a?

2 Likes

If you get into wood, look for a Tom Kuhn No Jive. Also in your part of the world Swedish Elfversons (also known as Kalmar Trissan) might be an easy and inexpensive find as they made Yoyos since the 1930s though the 2000s.

3 Likes

Not really. Each bullet point just fills a different niche for me.

Rbc is for everyone.

5 Likes

For what its worth my two favorite responsive throws are the Deep State from One Drop, and the RBC from MK1/Spinworthy. Strong shout out to the El MiJo from Zero Gravity my #2. The DS is a solid throw and for me great for learning new stuff, I like it because its not to responsive. The RBC feels light when throwing and is sometimes to responsive but great for refining/polishing what I’m learning.
Cheers

2 Likes

I received a package today in the mail. Not ready for photos yet but bringing hypothetical to reality. We are getting acquainted.

hint: 6061.

6 Likes

El Mijo is truly fantastc throw, if starting out play with the fixed. Then go for the a thick lube on the this bearing.
Unresponsive in this one is tricky

I love my El Mijo

4 Likes

So I attempted to best duplicate Malachi’s extremely impressive collection photo. Besides realizing my collection is way much more smaller, in doing so I found a gap.

My question…

dónde está el mijo 6061? No comprende. Pony up dineros! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’ve started to try to slim down my collection, but my next photo will have both El Mijos.

3 Likes