Responsive options in 2023

Seems to be a fair amount of churn as far as yo-yo availability for the “boutique” brands. As of 2023 what are good responsive options that are regularly available? Im looking to upgrade from a yyf arrow and am considering the origen or the weekender. My only concern is these options seem pretty light and I like the heft of the arrow. What are other good options?

Budget: less is better but fine with more expensive options.

Added: Since I am a newbie I will say I have an unresponsive that Ive played around with, but don’t really love the playstyle at this moment in time.

2 Likes

The Duncan Freehand One is a well loved responsive that is readily available and weighs 66.41 grams.

5 Likes

I definitely plan to pick one of those up. Appreciate the callout!

1 Like

I didn’t think I’d like a light throw like the RBC or Weekender. I was so wrong. Not saying it’s right for you, just saying to not count them out over the weight.

As far as what you are asking for, the Confusion is a great budget metal with normal weight to it. If you are willing to use the BST, find a Respawn or a Moonshine. Those fit what you’re trying to find and have great response.

2 Likes

A heavy weekender you say? Look no further than the laid back swing nude trump. Rewind seems to still have them.

I’ll take a picture of my modern responsive case with what I got on hand for examples in the morning but honestly my weekender and rbc are my go to modern responsive followed by my polycarb ZGRT el mijo and my layer infinity Kasm. Actually the Kasm is fantastic cause it’s relatively cheap. Only issue you got to catch the drop when wayne does it cause they sell fast. Follow layer infinity on instagram it’s worth it trust me.

I finally got around to organizing my yo-yos a bit instead of just tossing them all in a drawer and boxes half hazardly.

Also the Origen is a great cheap available modern responsive. I wouldn’t ignore it as an option at its price point.

1 Like

Top Yo Creator V2 sells for ~$15 and can be set up for either responsive or unresponsive (I have only played it unresponsive).

Weight: 66g
Diameter: 55.17mm
Width: 38.29mm
Material: 7003 Aluminum

Huge +1 for the Origen and Confusion.

If you’re looking to get into 0A, you can’t beat a Butterfly or Butterfly XT for the price, depending on whether you want to go full fixed axle.

If you want something more premium, “The Thing” is still available at DocPop’s site.

5 Likes

For a SUPER cheap option, give the Crystal a try.

It’s surprisingly good for a budget throw, and comes in at 65g.

5 Likes

I’ll second doc pop the thing. It’s a great modern responsive.

I would also argue a deep state is always a great option.

Edit: there is a mean no good unresponsive in this case. The double or nothing is absolutely not forgiving in the slightest.

5 Likes

I just recently came to understand this with my first Butterfly XT. It plays far better than it has a right to, all for only 6-7 dollars. There’s really no reason not to have one.
I’ll second the Crystal as well (if you get a good one) by adding a narrow bearing (which comes with it) and a little thick lube it plays responsive pretty well. My first one was heavier on one half than the other but I’ve thrown 2 others that were just right.
Definitely the Origen is an also fabulous for the price.

4 Likes

I love your display case. Did you build it yourself? I ask because it looks like it has grooves intended for yo-yo rims on the shelves.

It’s a coin display case. My wife got it for me for my birthday this year. It’s thin so it only fits slim line and mini yo-yos but it’s a really nice case.

2 Likes

The Deep State from One Drop is one of my all time favorites, and it is fairly regularly available here at YYE as well as at the manufacturer.

5 Likes

Took note of a lot of good options here. Ended up going with a duncan freehand one and deep state from the shop here…for now. Will definitely revisit the suggestions here the next time I get a itch to get something new to try out. Thanks everyone!

5 Likes

Just wanted to post a final update and say Im really impressed with both the freehand one and the deep state. For anyone who may end up referring to this thread in the future the freehand one is incredibly solid for the price. A great plastic upgrade to the arrow!

5 Likes