First yoyos to buy after hiatus (budget $80 each)?

I used to yo-yo about 10 years ago wasn’t ever any good but after doing some spring cleaning I found some of them again made me nostalgic and want to pick it up a little bit even if I’m not going to “dedicate my life” to yoyo-ing still want to just throw around have fun and practice as a bit of stress relief.

With that said first of all I’m looking for a good 1a unresponsive yo-yo within the budget. I never really got good at any individual styles so something well-rounded which would let me discover my own style would be the best; ideally something stable that spins forever so I can take my time learning tricks and enjoy the process from a casual pov. Aside from this I have a personal preference for yo-yos that play smooth and silent. I know a lot of that’s in the bearing, and that’s not a hard requirement, but still thought I would mention it.

Secondly looking for a responsive 1a yoyo with essentially the same comments as above though this can be a little bit cheaper since I personally enjoy unresponsive yo-yoing in 1a more than responsive, but still like to throw something responsive every now and then.

Any advice would be appreciated :smiley:

4 Likes

yoyofriends Paragraph or Shortcut. two incredible yoyos that cost about $30, both available in some awesome colors.

8 Likes

agreeing with brandon, i’ve never used the paragraph but my shortcut is insane for its value, if you need a metal to casually take you anywhere you want (and push competitive tricks easily) i’d go for that one. responsive i’ll leave to the fixed axle guys around here, i know minimal ab that kind of style lol

3 Likes

I’ll take a look at those is there any real difference between the two?

1 Like

Paragraph has a slight dimple that theoretically can be good for fingerspins but is very difficult to lock onto. Shortcut doesn’t have such a gimmick and has more competitive weight distribution.

2 Likes

they’re pretty similar overall, both being performance-oriented budget monometals. biggest difference is shape, the shortcut is pretty typical “W” shape, where the paragraph is more of an “H” shape and has a finger spin dimple. they’re both crazy smooth and perform great. yoyofriends makes some of the best yoyos around right now

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I ended up getting the paragraph because I liked their gold version, but since its so cheap I might also get a shirtcut down the line.

With that said any recommendations on a good responsive yoyo with good sleep times and same comments as above?

Get a Yomega Ooch from e b a y for $20. Semi responsive. Cant go wrong.

1 Like

origen is an easy recommendation, 20$ metal responsive.

2 Likes

Tried the paragraph today, I still think the shortcut is better (for my taste), the shortcut is overall an incredible yoyo for 30 quid, I think it is a bit easily playable and the shape hold a bit better any kind of tricks (at least for someone that is restarting).
The weight distribution on the shortcut is just spot on, on the paragraph I noticed that make the yoyo a tiny heavy for my taste.
They both super good and a pleasure to play but for me the shortcut is a overall reliable throw for any type of playing, nice and wide for someone learning slacks and whips and with a nice zippy feeling still having maximum control

3 Likes

After getting my shortcut today, I’d agree. The paragraph has weight but it’s not being used very effectively bc of the dimple, but then the dimple doesn’t help anyone who need it. I feel like the aoe and shortcut do a better job at the 2 things the paragraph was trying to do.

1 Like

I’ll second the Origen for an affordable responsive yoyo that plays above its price. A lot of people also like the Weekender by Doctor Popular and the Deep State by One Drop. The origin and weekender have a nice snappy response and the deep state is semi responsive unless you add some grease to the bearing.

7 Likes

The Shortcut is actually the heavier of the two. I agree that it’s more powerful and has a better weight distribution. I think the added mass that is required for a dimple leeds to compromise.

1 Like

I need to get a shortcut again so I can compare lol. I gifted my last one to my buddy’s son

2 Likes

Most affordable and easy to find responsive that’s fun and feels quality is the Origen. I’ll say second is the toybania thing which I’m pretty sure is available places. Harder to find but essentially a heavy weekender is the laid back swing nude trump

Best responsive I own is the rbc and the weekender for modern responsive and the spinworthy harbinger or gates se for fixed axle

As for unresponsive the monarch is brilliant so is the iceberg. A Duncan gtr is a great buy but any of the modern Duncan bimetals are fantastic. There are a bunch and it’s hard to suggest just one.

Staying in a cheaper budget I would say the first base or a Luftverk plastic fluvia or the new AOE or even a paragraph are all great cheap yo-yos that are fun and won’t make you think twice about tossing a counter weight on or dinging cause you didn’t spend a fortune and they are available throws easy to replace.

Most affordable yoyo around is the whip while most versatile I would argue is the Duncan butterfly xt as you can mod that sucker a bunch.

2 Likes

Doc Pop has the Thing on his site. I haven’t played it, but I’ve heard great things.

The Freehand One would be a great semi-responsive if you’re open to plastics. So many color/artwork options too!

5 Likes