Recommend an old man a yoyo

Hey, folks. So I’m newly getting back into the hobby after more than 10 years away. The heyday for me was '99 to '02 or so-- the era before unresponsive yoyos became the norm, when the complexity of string tricks was really exploding

So after starting to get back into it, I’ve been messing around on a Legend Wing, which has been fun-- stalls and such are a cool avenue I never explored before. I also got a Replay Pro, and while it’s clearly a much more advanced yoyo than my old Yomega Hyper Warp Wing, I can’t really get into the feel of it. The gap feels too wide, the yoyo as a whole is too big, I don’t really dig the shape, and while I have no problem with being able to bind, I miss the feeling of the tug response.

So I’m looking for a new throw. Is there anything out there that improves on the yoyos of yesteryear without completely abandoning that old school feel? Ideally something plastic and responsive, with more of an old school rounded shape? Or should I just try to find an old Superyo Renegade in decent shape?

Also, any other old fuddy duddies out there who still remember the days of Paul Escolar, Steve Brown, TBB GTs, OG Freehands and Renegades?

11 Likes

I’d recommend the ThrowRevolution Neo, but you’d have to pick one up from a BST. I have an extra MIB black/red one, if you find yourself interested.

The Recess First Base is also an excellent choice. It can be switched between responsive and unresponsive play with a bearing change.

4 Likes

Sounds like you’re asking for the “new” Freehand One that came out earlier this year. It’s responsive, classic and people here seem to love it (I have three but have only played them a little bit):

…and yes, the Recess First Base is awesome and comes with two different bearings so you can do responsive or unresponsive play with it.

9 Likes

You can just get a half-spec bearing for your Replay Pro. It is the same size-C bearing, just a half narrow than regular one. This little guy will help you to adapt.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recs! The Freehand One definitely seems up my alley… I’m curious about the difference in play/ feel between size C and A bearings in otherwise similar yoyos. Any insights?

2 Likes

Interestingly, the Replay, which is the responsive version of the Replay Pro has thicker pads than normal. They actually stick out from the pad recess in order to provide enough grip to provide tug response. The gap of a Replay/Pro is just too wide to rely on a half spec bearing alone.

2 Likes

You want one? Send me your address. Also I was never here.

7 Likes

It’s not just the unresponsive setup I didn’t like in the Replay Pro-- the whole yoyo felt sort of angular and clunky to me, and just generally too big

4 Likes

I feel the same way about the Replay Pro. But it certainly has its legion of fans.

7 Likes

Welcome back to the hobby! If you like that tug response feeling still then you might dig some of the hybrid options. They sit somewhere between being super responsive and unresponsive. The new Duncan freehand one comes to mind.

On the responsive end there are tons of good modern options, like the RBC, weekender, day tripper, and the one drop deep state.

6 Likes

freehand 1 for sure. if you want the same feel in aluminum the small bearing AL fh1 is the same bearing as the plastic. if you want to start working on really unresponsive, the aluminum freehand 1 comes with a size c koncave bearing. 99 to 02 is where the butterfly organics ruled the scene in my opinion and v shaped wings were coming up… so i think you are looking for that general shape even if not a FH1.

Also, you could take it up a notch in my opinion with a doc pop boltXP. they are buttery on string and you can go half c bearing for responsive or full c for unresponsive.

4 Likes

:astonished:DM’d

5 Likes

Thanks!

Those were the first things that really caught my eye-- I think I’ll probably wait on picking up any metals while I’m getting my technique back together, but the Weekender and Deep State especially look really enticing

3 Likes

Yes, “butterfly organic” is exactly what I’m talking about! Glad to know there’s a specific name for that design

EDIT: Also the BoltXP looks sick…

4 Likes

Freehand One will give you that semi responsive old school feel for sure that’s a must buy for you I’d say.

Weekender with fingerspin cup is the other recommendation I’d second. Such a fun modern take on old school goodness.

4 Likes

It’s cool to see that Doc Pop is still pushing that direction of yoyoing forward. I remember his videos from way back when

5 Likes

Steve Brown still around too - just released his sig the Beater which is one of my faves since getting it. Others like Chris Neff, Jon Gates and more still lurking about.

4 Likes

I really enjoy the modern Bolt yoyos. Can’t go wrong with the BoltXP.

6 Likes

Says the genius behind the RBC… you will love the RBC if you want that old school responive feel.

2 Likes

I spent most of the day today with my RBC. around the world, looping, hop the fence, rock the baby, walk the dog and forward pass. Nothing to crazy, just a relaxing day.

The RBC is my EDC, super comfortable in the hand, sometimes I just take it out and rub it (get your minds out of the gutter). It will give you a good smack in the hand on the return at times.

5 Likes