Refining technique one variable at a time

“Pick a yo-yo that feels good to throw, feels good when it lands on the string or interacts with the string and feels good an a bind or return. Then just practice with it.”

I literally 1000% agree with this and restated as much.
I also said that stuff liked fixed axle will be great for refining individual elements (i.e. throwing a straight breakaway). Just don’t practice a ton of fixed axle and then act confused as to why you’re not an amazing unresponsive player.

6 Likes

Cadence ES width – 46.5mm / gap 4.5mm
DK width – 49mm / gap 4.8mm

That is superficially true, however, note the profile:

I would argue the effective width, in terms of landing the string, is rather different:

3 Likes

If you want to refine your technique, pick a very neutral monometal (gauntlet, dang 2, etc) and play and don’t stop playing. Find what you’re bad at and find a way to do it properly.

From experience, changing any other variable besides how much you play is not significant. Fixie is good but you don’t learn how to get smoother because you’re simply not practicing the same things, it’s an entirely different style. Same with responsive, kinda, but it’s not quite the same.

You know when you start to refine technique? When the length of your combos rises. Combo stamina is the characteristic seasoned players have that beginners and intermediate players lack.
And you know when does the lenght of your combos rises? when you learn to perform every element and transition cleanly and efficiently, so it takes as less spintime from the yoyo as possible.

8 Likes

That’s what I said, they have different catch zones.

I wasn’t talking about fixed axle; I was referring to responsive vs. unresponsive, as in narrow C bearing versus wide C bearing.

I don’t think fixed axle is relevant at all, e.g.

Well kinda, you’re basically throwing this vs. this – RADICALLY different catch zones.

So @zslane bringing up the Resto is 100% dead on here. DK is more fun though, for me :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Preach brother!

4 Likes

Not really. You can take the caps off the DK and see it’s a completely different throw without the side caps.

But the side caps don’t affect the catch zone of the DK, right? That seems to be the primary focus of coding’s comparison with the Cadence.

2 Likes

Right but the DK will feel more stable because it is wider, which is perhaps why the Resto was a no-go for me.

But catch zone wise it is still suuuper hard mode.

I dunno, the DK is a really fun yo-yo to have in your collection. I just recommend it. It’s so unlike everything else out there.

Guess I wasn’t thinking Wide as in only the catch zone.

I’m not sure I want to step straight from easy mode to suuuper hard mode. I’m thinking easy mode to hard(er) mode would be a more palatable first step.

1 Like

Another reason why practicing on a FHZ or fixed axle will really help you :smirk:

Well according to @AaronW it’s not that hard, so … :wink:

1 Like

I have been playing for 30 years now, on mostly thin gap, responsive or fixed axle yoyos. I look at the DK and do not think it’s got a narrow catch zone :joy:

3 Likes

Proof, perhaps, that all things are relative? :wink:

I’ve always enjoyed playing good stable yoyos but I personally never understood the huge fuss over catch zone. I hear so many people say a 40-42mm yoyo is on the narrow side and those same people are saying something 4-5mm wider is SUPER CATCHABLE. I dont really feel that much of a difference between a 45mm width vs 40mm tbh. I feel like it barely hinders my play if at all. If a yoyo is nice and stable, i can rock a 38mm yoyo no problem :man_shrugging:

When I’m thinking about aspects of what makes a yoyo good or bad or great I never really think about catchability because i don’t even really notice that ±5mm variation in width

Even something that’s like 30-36mm catchzone yeah it’s a little more difficult but I wouldn’t consider it SUPER HARDMODE cuz of catchability. If anything the problem is definitely stability and spin time

1 Like

Firstly, where are the DK throws on the bst? I’d love to have one.

If someone asked me how to get better at yoyoing or running or fitting kitchens or long division my advice would be to practice. You might think that’s the annoying answer that you didn’t want to hear but annoyingly it’s true.

Keeping the YoYo on the appropriate plane is key to better yoyoing. It sounds monotonous but just try using a slim responsive like a deep state and practice throwing a long sleeper… Over and over again and again. And do the same with a breakaway, again and again. You will get better at throwing it straight, I promise.

Don’t spend hours on end doing it, otherwise it will be a chore and you’ll play yourself out of a hobby. Just try 20 sleepers a day for a week before you start just regular play.

2 Likes

And that the yoyos we recommended will help you a ton :rofl:

I remember hearing that when Gentry was on the One Drop team he would practice his contest routines on a Dingo. You get really good and accurate on something like a Dingo everything else is a walk in the park.

But if your VTWO is your favorite yoyo, there’s no reason to go to another yoyo to get better. You can build your accuracy on that, if that is a common yoyo style for you. Something better than switching gear may be to just stick to one yoyo for a while. In my 5 months of primarily playing 2 fixed axles I’ve learned those two yoyos really, really well. What makes them tilt, when they’re going to snap back, etc. You learn to really feel the yoyo. It’d be the same thing playing one unresponsive yoyo. You’ll learn it inside and out, you’ll learn control, you’ll learn plane management but on a yoyo that you really like.

1 Like

Just bust out a one drop organic and crush two of those off the list right away.

1 Like