Looking for some expert knowledge on YoYo size, shape, bearing, etc.....

I’m thinking towards buying an all metal yoyo once I get to the expert level. I’ve been reading about numerous yoyos (888, m1, superstar, marmot, etc, etc) and have realized there are all different types.

The only difference that I understand is weight— heavier yoyo’s, especially with weight pushed to the edge, has a longer spin time.

I’m looking for someone in the know (I know there are many of you experts who collect a lot of yoyos :slight_smile: to educate me on some things.

1. I’ve noted H-shape and round shape yoyos. Are there other shapes? What are the advantages and disadvantages of the shapes
  2. I think Superstar is the biggest 1a yoyo. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a big yoyo over a smaller size?
  3. Bearing size. Most seem to be bearing size c, but there are smaller bearings as well. What are the advantages and disadvantages over different bearing sizes?
  4. When reading some yoyo descriptions, some are “bead blasted” or “anodized”. Is this just about looks or does it affect play?
  5. do different types of response rings change your play?
  6. How does diameter size change play?

Don’t feel you need to answer all of my questions in every post? Just where your knowledgeable :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  1. H-shape yo-yos have more weight on the rims than a rounder shaped yo-yo. This will make them spin longer but it will also make them slower moving.

2. Big yo-yos often weigh more and have their weight farther from their center point. This makes them spin longer but just like an h-shape the move through tricks slower. They also are bigger (obviously) which makes chopsticks like tricks harder.

3. The bigger the bearing the more string layers it can handle. Mainly though it is preference. Some people like C bearings; some like A bearings; and some like the middle ground D bearing.

4. Anodizing is just about looks. Under normal circumstances it will not affect play. Bead blasting doesn’t help on string play but it will make the yo-yo grind longer.

5. Yes, all pads feel a little different than the last.

6. See number 2.

It’s nice to see someone who has done his research and came back with some legitimate questions. Unlike most people who come here with, “Should I buy this, this, or this?”

2 Likes

I applaud this topic.

Anodizing also hardens the aluminum, making it a bit more durable.

1. not quite. the metal is there its just shaped different. Look at the Markmont for example.

2. They are slower on the string for the most part.

3. a bearings are better for people who like regenerations, faster spins on the throw due to more layers of string when wound and a lot of 5a players like them.
    C bearings will spin longer and help the stability of any yoyo.
    D bearings are slmost the best of both.

4. Anodizing will also help with durability. Especially if it has a hard coat.

5. Some play more grippy, Some more responsive and some just hard to bind with.

6. Yep see #2

Big, high rim-weighted, h-shaped yoyos aren’t necessarily slower IMO. The Superstar only feels a little slow because if it’s overall weight of 69 grams. I play mine stackless, which brings it down to 65 grams, and regardless to it’s size and rim weight, I feel like it easily moves very fast.

What I would say, has been said, But i also agree with Mrcnja, Thank you for researching! /cheer!!