Refining technique one variable at a time

So we all know that choosing the right yoyo, or choosing the right yoyo characteristics, can help with improving one’s technique. For instance, organic shapes, flat bearings, and narrow catch zones all force you to improve yoyo control and plane management.

But of these various characteristics, which one would you change first? Or put another way, in what priority order would you apply these changes, as I am likely to only change one thing at a time when the time comes to focus on honing technique?

• V shape to O shape
  • Centering bearing to flat bearing
  • Wide(ish) catch zone to narrow(er) catch zone
5 Likes

From easiest to hardest I would say it’s

Wide to narrowish (so this generally affects me the least of the 4)
Centering to flat
V to O
Full sized to undersized(generally affects me the most)

Shape and size varies the most because depending on design an O and undersized can still be very good. But everything else being equal(specs and general design), shape and size will 100% affect how well I can play more than if I lost a few mm in width or changed to a flat

2 Likes

Depends on how you learned to yoyo. I dont have a problem keeping the on plane but have a little trouble landing more difficult tricks on a narrow yoyo. So to hone my skills I reach for a narrow yoyo. My younger sister just started yoyoing a few weeks ago and she has trouble keeping the yoyo on plane so an Organic is quite difficult for her to use.

1 Like

Just get a crucible and turn the difficulty to beast mode!

1 Like

So if we agree that switching to organic introduces the greatest challenge, does that mean it also has the greatest impact? I presume some folks would prioritize “greatest impact” over “gentlest transition”?

Again, organics can still be decent imo. Size is by far the biggest “challenge” imo. There are very few monometal undersized yoyos I’ve tried that compete with even my full sized budget metals or well made organics

So generally when I want to clean up my technique I play with my Markmont next. Using a budget plastic can work as well cuz those are generally pretty bad too :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

I would get some second opinions on that before concluding it’s a written in stone fact.

I was talking to Kieran (one of the top players in the world) and he said the DK / doorknob is super hard because the string constantly wants to slide off, so you have to hit everything perfectly.

1 Like

Okay, well, I’m not going to go in search of a DK just for the purpose of refining my technique. Ideally I already have yoyos suitable for this purpose. Of course, if there’s an easily obtained, non-novelty throw out there that would be especially effective, I’d be willing to acquire one. It’s just I’m not sure which characteristic I should force on myself first, and then second, and then third, etc.

IMO go narrow. Narrow is part of the reason the DK is hard, conceptually. But on top of that, it’s curved, so the string will slide off aggressively if you don’t hit everything exactly :wink:

1 Like

Get a C3 token. That’ll definitely improve your technique

Or just use your Sage if you don’t want to buy something new

With all due respect I think you’re overthinking this. Pick a yo-yo that feels good to throw, feels good when it lands on the string or interacts with the string and feels good an a bind or return. Then just practice with it. You’ll likely get better throwing a yo-yo you like the feel of over one that’s not as nice feeling but has a perception of being harder to hit tricks with. The better the yo-yo feels the more likely you are to practice as it’s more rewarding. My two cents.

8 Likes

I agree you’re overthinking with the whole “in which order should I transition to these aspects”

If you want to use something else to improve your form just pick a bad yoyo and you’re set :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been doing. However, my yoyos of choice are highly stable Vs and Hs like the VTWO, the Hummingbird, and the Surveillance. Everyone here talks about how if you really want to improve your technique, then you have to get away from the “training wheels” that these highly stable yoyos provide and start throwing an organic because it is so unforgiving that you are forced to clean up your technique.

Just pick up a DK from the B/S/T. I’ve seen it come up a bunch of times. Probably because it’s hard as heck to use :wink:

Or just buy a dv888(not a joke btw)

Token works too

1 Like

You might try playing your Butterfly XT more like Bryan Jardin

probably the catch zone I’d say, as a smaller catch zone directly means you have to be more accurate with landing the yoyo. I’ve been having fun doing kwijibo and some other tricks on a yomega fireball recently :smile:

If you’d like to see some differences in how to do things throw a fixed axle “normal” old style yo-yo. That will teach you things about your breakaway, sleeper, man on the flying trapeze and more. The difference between any new higher end ball bearing Yoyos won’t be enough to really change anything at this point in your throwing life.

3 Likes

I regret to inform you … that the DK will disabuse you of this notion :rofl:

But yeah, something like the DV888 (if set up properly unresponsive) wouldn’t be meaningfully different than the VTWO in play. Agreed.

I think a narrow fixed axle can help you with your bare fundamentals like straight throws, clean breakaway and trapeze etc. as well as smooth out your throw and cleanliness in general.

But if I’m looking to clean up my combos I can’t really do that directly with a responsive so using an undersized unresponsive yoyo is good for that

1 Like