REALLY long spinning yo-yos

Sorry if this is under the wrong category, because I’m not looking for anything right now. But do you guys know of any yo-yos that spin for a really long time? I’m talking turning point mustang levels. Around the $100 area.

Btw if you haven’t seen this yo-yo in action to know what I’m talking about, watch Takeshi Matsuura’s 2018 world rountines.

Pretty much… all of them? :thinking:

This is mostly a function of the efficiency of the ball bearing used, plus the weight of the yoyo but since “most” yoyos are in that 60-65g sweet spot and similar diameter (and they use similar bearings), I wouldn’t expect them to differ wildly on spin time.

Note that for max spin time you do want to clean and not lube the bearing, also the quality of bearing will start to matter more than it usually would.

There’s also the C3 BTH of course! Search results for 'c3 bth' - YoYoExpert Forums

The BTH appeared suddenly at the 2012 World Contest and smashed the long sleeper record, at 30 minutes and 28 seconds. Three months later, the veil has been lifted on that yo-yo’s slick production model. All 220 grams of it! It’s designed for one trick in mind, and for that, it’s earned the title of “monster machine.”

This yo-yo was not made for string tricks or looping, and is pretty much useless for everything but spinning forever at the end of a string. Yet, this design is a record breaker, and there might be room for even more impressive records with this throw.

5 Likes

Yeah a little more background on what you’re looking to accomplish would be helpful

1 Like

^^^
Otherwise most 1A yoyos are going to be generally the same. Maybe the masamax off a bst would do well also.

I know this is also dependant on skill, but a yo-yo that would easily let me perform my very long combos around a minute and still keep going.

Just about any Bi-metal should do it.

And maybe learn some regens.

2 Likes

I have just about mastered regens. And I have an edge beyond. But I feel there are longer spinning yo-yos.

https://youtu.be/Xj2kzj6VrwI He only used one throw, with all of his rejections and tech and the yo-yo spinning for about a minute and thirty seconds. It still comes back to his hand quickly.

Yeah… but he’s Takeshi.

3 Likes

Are there any regens in that routine?

Probably, but it’s not worth the sacrifice in my opinion. You’d have to go heavier or get a well designed bimetal. Emphasis on the well designed part. The extra weight, assuming mono metal, is not a feeling I particularly enjoy for regular throwing. Also, if you’ve already acknowledged the “technique” issue, working on your throw and string management is probably the better bet. Not to cut down your ability, but most yo-yos on the market could win championships.

1 Like

Yeah he just defies physics :joy:

That does make a lot of sense

lol. Well, what I meant by that is that at one point it becomes the player, not the yoyo, so you just need to start throwing harder (assuming you are throwing really hard).

And the regen thing was that I watch yoyo trick videos like what CLYW does rather than competition freestyles, and there are loads of regens in those.

Yeah technique and skill does have a lot to do with it, and I understand that the yo-yo only gets you so far. I have an edge beyond. But I’m not winning contests left and right like Evan who uses the same yo-yo. But for another example, Takeshi at one point in his finals for 2018 worlds had a throw for 1 minute and ten seconds and the yo-yo was still coming back quickly to his hand. In a video with Takeshi about the mustang, he says that he did not plan to do a one throw rountine and that the mustang helped him in his finals for longer throws. I’m not trying to argue, but these are just some things that I noticed that this yo-yo helped him on in terms of spin time.

1 Like

Wait, have you competed before? can I see the footage?

1 Like

Yeah man, again no disrespect, but I don’t know how much good is gonna come from you comparing your throw to Takeshi’s
Edit again: I’m still not sure what you’re after though… it sounds like you want a yo-yo that makes you throw like Takeshi

1 Like

Really all modern yoyos spin for a long time. To keep it going through a long combo requires being super clean on your execution. Just having the same throw that Takeshi used for that 1 throw prelim he did doesn’t mean you will have the same efficiency.

1 Like

Takeshi may very well be the most talented yoyoer we we’ve ever seen.

If I do tricks I’m 100% comfortable with I can get most of my yoyos to last for a 1 to 1 1/2 minutes too. For me that’s stuff like cold fusion, skin the gerbil, McBride’s roller coaster, and other very simple combos. For Takeshi… it’s the tricks he’s doing on stage. His routine is so clean because those 60-90 seconds of his one throw routines is about as difficult for him as it is for me doing something like cold fusion or skin the gerbil.

In this case, It’s not the yoyo, it’s the player.

His semis(prelim too?) at WYYC were talked about so much despite him not placing super high is because that long of a one throw at that high a level is not natural. But it’s his Insane skill, not the yoyo. He literally did it just to flex, he was telling the world he’s so good he only needs one throw to make it to the finals.

4 Likes