YYF Spin time

So I have a shutter and a czech point, and both of these yoyos clock out between ~45-53 seconds. Why is the spin time so bad? I’ve barely used them…

1 Like

It really just depends on the throw. At least that’s in my experience. I can’t say whether it’s you or the yoyo. Edit. Maybe it’s a bearing issue. Maybe the spark plugs.

2 Likes

What kind of time are you expecting?

1 Like

I throw pretty hard. I was expecting something from 1:30-2:00 especially for the shutter since Stein won worlds with it. I’d be surprized at the czech point too b/c its ann connoly signature series

:frowning:

I have a lot of hard throws too but a lot of times the throws are not perfect resulting in the tiniest bit of string friction on the inside gap which slows the spin a lot. If your throws are perfect maybe that’s all the spin time you’ll get out of those two. I’m no yoyo doctor though.

1 Like

Spin time is something that comes from practice. You’ve just got to work on straightening your throw and throwing harder, and it’ll come with time.

2 Likes

Spin time should almost never be an issue. Only time i even think about spin time is when im learning a new trick. Like others have said, it comes from practice and muscle memory. Getting your throw straighter, snapping your wrist harder, keeping the yoyo on plane when doing tricks. All these things add up

9 Likes

Frankly I think that is an unrealistic expectation. Sleep time, maybe. Working trick time, no. The forces acting on a yoyo doing tricks all work against you. If you watch people like Stein and Connoly, their routines incorporate a number of regens to keep things going.

Why, they even catch the yoyo now and then and basically start from a fresh throw mid routine. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Spin time will be caused by 2 factors - one’s throw and breaking in the bearing. New yoyos, in my experience, feel a little lethargic when it comes to spin until it’s broken in or if I get impatient and clean the bearing.

1 Like

A minute of doing tricks is about how long it should go. Not many yoyos can hit 2 minutes of pure trick time. Now sleeping time, no tricks, 1:30 - 2 minutes is about how long it will be

2 Likes

How long have you been yoyoing? Yes, Mr. Stein won worlds with a Shutter and again with a Shutter Wide Angle, but, he was throwing and competing for years before his first win. We all need to remember that yoyo is called a skill toy for a reason. To modify YoYoExpert’s tag line, the player is what makes the simple toy do amazing things. These amazing things can be anything from a 2:00 sleeper to any of the tricks you see sponsored players do that make you scratch your head and say “how in the world is that possible?” to even something as simple, yet amazing as a well executed picture trick.

Absolutely you could just have a little too much lube in your bearing, you could have a bearing problem, a pad may have worked loose. However, before I started looking to fix the yoyo, I would look at my throw. Many of the others who have replied to this post have mentioned throw related reasons why your spin time may be shorter than you expect. Also, my question is, unless you are preparing to enter a sleeper contest, does it really matter how long your yoyo spins on a throw? While a sleeper is important, it is an isolated situation. In other tricks, the yoyo is interacting with the string and moving around. Most modern yoyos (which Shutter and Czech Point are) have sufficient spin for a few attempts at learning a trick.

6 Likes

I’m talking about throwing a sleeper, hitting the stop watch button and watching to see how long it takes the yoyo spin to die.

This is was thinking, pure sleep time, but my yoyos don’t hit it.

1 Like

Do the yo-yos die bye tilting and spinning out? There’s a way to keep the string drone touching the sides of the yoyo and tilting off.

For most ordinary mortals, a minute sleep time is an achievement.

Flick the bearing. If you get anywhere around 8 seconds of the bearing you should be getting about a minute and a half on a solid throw

1 Like

I just timed one of my Shutters. I didn’t throw excessively hard and I still got a little over 4 minutes of spin time from throw to complete spin extinction. I was careful to adjust string torsion as needed to keep the string away from the response pads. 4-5 mins should be the norm for a Shutter, IMO.

If you’re not getting that then I suspect the bearing.

3 Likes

Sorry, this does not help.
3 Likes

Im kinda calling BS on this. I just tested my WA Shutter and my G2 Banshee and I got about 1.5 minutes before it got to the point where I felt I needed to bind it. I didn’t exactly throw my earth-shattering hardest throw, but it was a good chuck into a breakaway. Honestly I think id do better with time if I cradled it in a trapeze, but still, getting 4-5 minutes out of an average throw seems impossible to me.

1 Like

I said I timed it from throw to spin extinction. Not throw to minimum bind viability.

1 Like