Bearing Recommendations

What will make this Yoyo feel more flow and get a longer spin time . Bearing recommendations? Love the organic feel but plays awful IMO.

1 Like

Stuck a traditional concave bearing in mine, liking this setup a lot more over the center trac.

1 Like

I love the feel of the aluminum koi on the string. One of my favorite Organics. If u ever wanna let it go for cheap hmu

1 Like

Throw harder and/or play cleaner. Bearing is going to have a very very minimal effect here. Pick whatever shape you wanna use for bearings but like more expensive bearings aren’t really going to do much for spin time.

5 Likes

Prob looking for a different yoyo entirely if spin time was the issue bc I don’t think the koi was made to perform like that. I’d get a mk1 path if you just want the comfy rounded rims with a pleasant weight distribution but still long spinning.

3 Likes

i mean ill use this as a chance to shout out Hollywood modern yoyo bearings as they are just the best bulk bearings I’ve ever used and ross @Modern_yoyos is just plain awesome.

however, reality is while i love organics and the koi is great they do go off axis easier than other shapes. it also most likely is partly a skill issue vs an equipment issue to be entirely honest.

if your expecting the same performance as a bimetal v shape your not gonna get which is fine everyone likes different things.

With that said you could try a nice DS, or pixel cut or grooved bearing or just a really nice cleaned dry center track or even koncave from Hollywood modern and try different strings and maybe get to a point your happy with it string and bearings and use of or lack of use of oils can all slightly change the feel and experience but not in any massive way.

i still recommend getting a bunch of bulk bearings so you can just swap one any time you feel it might be the bearing and know you got a batch of good ready to go bearings and less maintenance to deal with.

2 Likes

Personally don’t care for KK, have felt like I have too much string bunching when using one. Once in a while a yoyo will just feel better with a KK to me for whatever reason, though.

Grooved bearings never felt particularly good for me. My least favorite for sure.

I don’t mind flat bearings but the most common one is the OD 10 ball and the noise is horrific and there’s nothing special about the performance.

Been a CT bearing guy for a long time. Consistent performers and readily available at good prices. You can get them in 4 packs for $10 each from gway throws or get a 10 bearing+60 standard 19mm slim pads pack for $50 from hollywood modern yoyos which is insanely inexpensive. There’s people out there shelling out $20+ for a single bearing when you can get a lifetime supply of bearings and pads for $50.

1 Like

Are you guys in the upside down?

The guts of the yo-yo have 1000% to do with good spin time. Holy cow.

OD 10 ball are some of the most quite bearings on the planet.

1 Like

To the OP, sounds like your bearing is all crunchy. Do you have the means to clean it properly?

1 Like

1000% ? I get 10 x more spin time with bearing change ? No way lol you can get more than enough spin time with cheap Ali express bearings.

Edit: here’s the og to prove a point video by @JeiCheetah

4 Likes

If you want both, a flat bearing and proper technique is the way. A concave bearing will get you better spin times, regardless of technique, but will take away some of the natural feeling of the throw. There’s always a compromise.

I would put a One Drop bearing in it because it’s organic and it will enhance the feel. If I was struggling to keep it from tilting, I’d use a concave. I like NSK and Original Throw concaves. Both are very smooth and long-spinning.

3 Likes

Im not debating bearing brand or shape. Im simply pointing out that a crunchy or dirty bearing is going to hamper spin time.

4 Likes

Oh okay yeah 1000% I agree. I more meant like a clean standard and cheap bearing vs like a clean ceramic bearing or something else fancy like there’s minimal gains there.

4 Likes

Sounds like you are craving a Flat Bearing

Felt the same back in 2021

5 Likes

If you need a OD 10 ball let me know. I have a bunch of spares.

3 Likes

I assumed they already cleaned the bearing. Any old bearing will work if it’s clean and spins free. Generally the type of bearing won’t make a difference. That’s why I always recommend buy a bunch of quality bulk bearings like from Hollywood modern yoyo :wink:

Or just whatever’s cheapest directly from China on that one store we all know

1 Like

I’m not going to respond to each response as some of them made me lol and really didn’t sit well with me. First off to all who had positive responses or recommendations I really appreciate it, as I have been throwing on and off for about 14 years and just getting back into it not really having the time to do research like I used to I figured I could come here for a quick answer in a great community. As far as all saying “Performance” You don’t know who I am, who I used to throw with, and honestly how good I really am, but after watching some videos and browsing around this forum of some of these people saying “performance” I think would be really humbled, and brought down to earth if we were able to throw together LOL. Personally a 30 second spin time that sounds like nails on a chalkboard is not really a satisfying feeling.

2 Likes

Hey I’m sorry if anything I said rubbed you the wrong way. Often ppl come on here thinking that a higher quality bearing aka more expensive bearing is going to make a huge difference and it just doesn’t really. 30 seconds of spin time like just hanging and spinning at the end of the string absolutely doesn’t sound right and I think you should try to clean the bearing.

In spin time you have also to consider shape and weight of the yoyo not only the bearing, an organic yoyo doesn’t help for sure with a long spin time comparing it to other more performing shapes, consider also the string frictioning against the walls in an organic yoyo.

I do love DSBearings, with them I seen an improvement in spin time and are smooth as hell, also NSK are very good.

About flow, it is in your hands.

2 Likes

Henry have to say that this video means everything and nothing at the same time even if I appreciate the effort, I just comment this because I seen it posted couple of times as an example of long spin time.

The combo in the video for how long it is, it shows incredibly basics elements (mostly a basic gt sending the yoyo in between to avoid the gt knot) and the yoyo is very often “out” so not messed around by the other strings.

I think the spin time is mostly affected by the type of combo you doing and how complex it is, a very easy combo like the one in the video can understand that last ages but adding many more difficult elements is not gonna happen in my opinion as you gotta deal with balancing, string friction and other factors.

I would love to see the same video with a very intricated tech combo, probably it will last a minute (which is more than enough considering all the modern combos) but for sure not 3 minutes

2 Likes