Bearing Recommendations

Yeah I understand how more layering in the gap and complex string formations are going to cause more loss of spin. That’s not really the point. 3 mins one throw is a long time, even if the tricks done were chosen to minimize loss of spin.

I think we agree about bearings also so I don’t know. The main thing that’s going to cause spin loss is the tricks done, not the bearing. Unless of course the bearing is dirty or just like a bad bearing. I think we agree about that also.

2 Likes

Yes we literally agree on this: yoyo shape, clean bearing and type of trick.

I think about the bearing shape (for example my preference for DS), come for “finesse”, after trying many stuff and play for many years is normal to have preferences and subtle changes in playing but if I can be honest I can perfectly play with a random KK without notice any loss of spin and similar, I am not a fan of centre track it gives me a differnt feeling that I am not a big fan but still more than playable

2 Likes

You left allot to interpretation and asked a common beginner question. It’s fair we all assumed your new to yoyo and treated the question as such.

Time on forums doesn’t equal good at yoyo…

Not saying you’re not good just you left us to assume and here we are.

1 Like

Yes I agree with this , flow is always in your hands and also in your mind when throwing. That being said you can’t achieve any type of flow when the Yoyo feels dead before it even hits the string off the throw and that’s how this felt out of the box .

Simply ask rather than assume . This is a question but also a preference and was trying to see others input to get the best result . Jumping to conclusions thinking it’s “performance” is not the answer , even if it was it wouldn’t make the OP feel too good .

1 Like

sorry for any hard feelings. I come from an IT background and the trope did you check the power or turn it off and on again are true.

You check simplest solutions first which in yoyo are either skill (ie how you throw), you didn’t try cleaning your bearing first, you don’t actually like the style of yoyo you got and you don’t know the differences in shapes, or your bearing is dead and needs to be replaced.

Non of that’s meant to imply lack of skill it’s just the first steps in troubleshooting cause answering go buy this 30 dollar special cut bearing is not gonna solve most people’s issues.

With that said I get nothing from shilling for Ross but bulk quality bearings are the move

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing this!
I can confirm that long spin times can be achieved on most bearings as long as it is not flawed. Most people claiming a certain bearing “spins longer” isn’t necessarily true. It comes down to technique and throw, and of course basic bearing meantenence for whatever bearing you have.
Even the cheap Chinese bearings that come on cheap throws are honestly very capable

Note: I did a more modern version some months ago on a cheap Watieboo set up stock for the fun of it too:

T̴̨̩̫̜̰͙͔̠̼̄ͅ ̷̗̜̺̪̙͍̲͚͓̘̗͋E̶̘̯͗̿̏̀̽̓ ̴͓̻́̒͌̑Ç̷̢̮̣͕̱̼̃͂̊̇̍̇̿̔̚̚͠ ̵̛̖̬̠͍̪̮̯̩͂̅̃͗̀H̴̫̥͉͍͙̱̾ ̷̨̘̞͙̑͊̑̈́ͅͅͅN̴̡͈͔̠̼̫͑̉ ̸͚̪̘͉̦̱̦̬͈͇͎̈́̌̆İ̴̹͛͋͆̄͛̚ ̵̧̼̥̭̣̤͚̖̩̪̗̑̋͑Q̴̡̬͚͉̪̩͍͓́͛̑̑̍̆͆͝ͅ ̴̩̣̬̲͓̥̹̣̃̔̃̀̇̒͋͌͘U̴̹̭̘̻̖̍̿̿̉̊ ̴̛͉̄̏̒͐̓̃͒͒̉͒E̶̢̛͍̤͍̗͂̃͌̇͠

6 Likes

OD 10 balls definitely have a distinctive hissing sound, could be he’s just more sensitive to that.

1 Like

While I like to play DS bearings, I’ve found that atmos type 1 concave are pretty rad too.

3 Likes

To echo what others have said, asssuming the current bearing is clean (and imo, properly lubed with a half drop of thin lube), a different bearing likely won’t significantly improve power. To be fair, I’ve certainly not tried all brands; I have tried various sizes and shapes (flat, KK, CT), though.

I’ve never played a Koi (though I’d like to), but with it being an organic, they really aren’t known for power, stability, or overall performance. I.e., it’s a yoyo problem (given your personal preferences), not a bearing problem. Still, some organics are better than others. If you really like the organic shape but want power and stability, I’d suggest looking for a PDX-Yo Batsquatch.

1 Like

Appreciate the informative response! Just honestly never thought to clean a bearing out of the box as in the past I never ran into this from a brand new Yoyo. I will have to give the batsquash a look , lost my collection in a fire a few years ago and just getting back into it . Any suggestions for a Yoyo like a OD overture ? That is my favorite to date.

2 Likes

Thank you ! Going to give it a try. Glad you had this experience and don’t feel as crazy anymore lol . Have had many organic Yo-Yos and just something feels off .

1 Like

Just do a quick bearing swap with one from another yoyo you know works. If that doesn’t fix it, I don’t think anything will

1 Like

Sorry to hear you had to deal with a fire. I hope no one was hurt. I’ve never played a OD, but I’ve heard great things and hope to change that some day. I’m sure others on here can help you find what you’re looking for, though!

2 Likes

I haven’t played the Koi, but I did have to change the pads on my YYFr Nucleon. They just played with too much friction. I haven’t had issues with any of my other YYFr throws so IDK. Might be worth looking into. Other than that I echo most of what has been said. Try a known good bearing or clean the original and see if you have better results.

2 Likes

I would but unfortunately this is the first Yoyo I bought getting back into it after loosing my collection :frowning: more to come though!

1 Like

In that case, check if the bearing spins for 6-10 seconds with a good flick. Nice clean bearings usually will get 10 seconds and serviceable bearings that are still unresponsive will be closer to 6

2 Likes

The koi itself is pretty loud, just from the design and machining. I just cleaned the bearing in mine and also the one in my mono pheasant, which basically has the same bearing (yyfr stock). If I flick it with my finger, both are perfectly quiet, but once assembled, the koi will amplify the sound. I’ve never had any issues with spin time, though. As far as I know, not each and every throw of a run is checked by hand, only a certain amount. Maybe you really just got a bad bearing.

2 Likes

When I flick the bearing it’s just dead , no spin time at all. Unfortunately it came out of the box like this :frowning:

Yes this seems to be the case. Got some good recommendations on bearings so hopefully a replacement will bring it back to life :slight_smile:

1 Like