YYF Spin time

How do you compensate for the precession and axis tilt? I can compensate for precession by turning around in a circle, but the tilt is basically impossible to compensate for without being able to correct it on a trapeze.

1 Like

You can compensate for tilt by twisting the string in one direction or the other. I didn’t compensate for precession; I just let it rotate slowly about the string (again, adjusting torsion as necessary).

3 Likes

I used this method to get a pretty easy 2 minute sleeper on a CP Pivot. Then I did a trick and missed the bind afterwards.

1 Like

I just threw my Czech Point and it didn’t start slowing down til about 4 minutes, didn’t fully stop until after the 5 minute mark. And I hit the thing on my knee when I threw it, too. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Btw, my Czech Point processed a full 360, but had ZERO tilt on the full 5 minute spin. Kind of suprised me. I knew I liked this thing, but dang.

Edit: Also just to be clear, I did not do the string twist method to accommodate for any tilt. :exploding_head:

1 Like

Lol, thought this thread was funny, but then got me thinking.

So I don’t own any shutters, so I did a very crude spin test (I never tried so don’t actually have any idea, for me it spins for the duration on my tricks and it’s enough).

Used a plastic Dove and a Bi-metal Banshee SS, basically what ever I had near me to grab to compare.

I tried to throw hard, and what not, just for fun, you know for science.

A pointless video but anyway why not :slight_smile:

(Disclaimer : I throw like a girl)

Dove : roughly 1:35
Banshee SS : roughly 2:15

:rofl:

[Edit : I probably need to work on my front style throw as these are rookie number :joy:]

4 Likes

Ok, I did a test three days ago and realized that the spin time depends on one thing besides the force applied at the moment of throwing the yo-yo:

A) friction of the string toward the wall of the yo-yo.

The tension of the string makes the yo-yo to lean or tilt to one side. If you really want to measure the spin time, throw the yo-yo and hold it from the string close to the bearing. If the yo-yo is leaning to one side either twist or untwist the string to bring the yo-yo-yo back to a centred position.

I did this by just dropping the yo-yo from my hand with no force applied. Without doing what I mentioned above, the spin time was 25 seconds. After doing what I am mentioning, the spin time was 7 minutes and 55 seconds. The yo-yo I used was a Horizon.

Try this out and let us know.

P.S. if you throw the yo-yo very hard, you only get from 1 to 1.5 more minutes of spin time

5 Likes

Duncan Metal Drifer 6 minutes

6 Likes

This helps you achieve all the spin time you need…

5 Likes

I’ve hardly ever timed my sleep times because it’s boring sitting for 4+ minutes, but authentic data this is.

2 Likes

I loose interest and get bored before I get to a minute.

2 Likes

I just tried with my Top Yo Origin (because science) and gave up after 1:45 lol. I fixed the tilt twice by popping it up into a trapeze and still got a solid bind at the end of it. Even though its not a fancy high end throw, its pretty easy to put a lot of power behind.

I don’t think I have enough patience to try this with my butter lol. Like @hobbygod said, the only time I ever run out of spin is if I’m learning a trick(or do a super dainty throw :stuck_out_tongue:)

4 Likes

When sciencing, one does not give up until the experiment is finished. Since you stopped at only 1:45, I’d say you “tried” this because of something other than science. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

You’re right…I can’t give science a bad name by attaching it to such a shoddy test.

3:48 with a hard breakaway. Timer started at the throw and ended when all spin had stopped. I held the string about 2 inches from the bearing and adjusted for tilt by twisting the string slightly

4 Likes

This video explains what Zs is talking about.

5 Likes

If the bearings of your yoyos are spinning freely (if they can spin from around 6-7 seconds from a flick of your thumb), then the lack of spintime is 100% from a lack of technique. Luckily, this will get fixed the more you yoyo.

3 Likes

I can hit 2 minutes easy on a light throw with my Buddha king. 5 minutes on a good throw. Lol

1 Like

I’m not gonna time the spin on any of the yoyos I own because the way things are going here one of you guys probably will pretty soon…

1 Like

Just realized it has a link to a different site. Removing.

My yoyo sleeps when I put it down and turn off the lights. If it’s spinning it’s doing tricks, that’s what yoyos are for. :laughing: (no insinuation intended. if you choose to be offended for some reason that’s on you)

4 Likes