REALLY long spinning yo-yos

I have competed in BAC which was my first contest, so we don’t talk about that (stage fright mostly). But for fall futures prelims this year I placed 6th (second contest) and 9th in finals out of 15. (Finals was improv)

2 Likes

I can’t post videos on the forums right now but I’ll be able to email it to you :slight_smile:

PM me the links?

I totally agree that technique is the biggest factor, and that nearly all modern yo-yos (especially competition ones) are capable of spinning a long time. However there are some that spin longer, or maybe more to the point; power through better than others. From above, it appears that Takeshi himself credits the capabilities of the Mustang, with how he was able to perform his routine.

So, what are some yo-yos, particularly competition models, that really stand out in this respect?

SF Bliss

1 Like

Probably bimetal, anything with lots of rim weight. Which is lots and lots of potential yo-yos. That said, I have to agree with all the above posts: it’s 99% skill, 1% hardware. You could give Takada or Nagao something horrible like … cough … the DV888 … and they could still win competitions with it.

2 Likes

That’s is more so what I was trying to say

You love that yo-yo :joy:

Certainly they could crush me in any competition with it, but if you had them compete against each other, and one of them had to play the DV888, I guarantee that would be a huge disadvantage!

I don’t think simply being a bimetal solves the equation. Bitmetals are often designed to be powerful “for their weight”. In other words, they are designed to have a good bit of power, while remaining light and nimble.

I think you need a yo-yo that’s still got some weight to it. Maybe a bimetal in the 65g+ range. The Mustang is almost 66g…

The point about weight does go back a bit to the technique issue. The extra mass makes it more forgiving for string rubs and the like. The trade off would be that it would tend to be less nimble.

1 Like

I haven’t played a lot of recent bi metals, but the ones I have played that really stuck out as "this is a bi metal were the masamax and the space cowboy. They had powerful spins. I normally only half threw them. The space cowboy can be obtained for under $100 on yye.

1 Like

Here are some heavier, competition bimetals. I don’t have first hand experieince with these, but I think it might be a good place to start, and I’m sure I missed some. The copy on many of these talks up their spin power:

The CS edition Bliss is 65g:

Maybe even:

I do have the Horizon.

The bliss sure is pretty

1 Like

………….

1 Like

Promotion and Marco are both really good outer-ring bimetals with greater than average weight, which sounds like what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Edge beyond is pretty much one of the longest spinning with those huge rims and nsk bearing.

1 Like

I love the edge beyond. It’s great for making and learning tricks. Still not my favorite though…

In terms of just spinning a long time, Spin Dynamics Monkey Fist spins a long time. It feels like a brick at the end of a string, but it spins a long time. It was made very well, I just could never get used to it.

C3 Gamma Crash is so powerful

Poor DV888. But yeah! Evan performed an amazing routine with the wEdge and Gentry won Nats with a Replay. Not saying these yoyos are bad, they’re both super good. But they’re not everyone’s go to comp yoyo.

3 Likes

Yeah, he’s good…but it’s a yoyo competition and he’s up there looking like he’s throwing his sets up or something. lol. It’s just funny to me. And that music…There are SOOO many tracks that he could had chosen that would have been amazing with that routine and he picked THE WORST ONE. What even is that? LMFAO.

Please, nobody get offended, It’s a really good routine and he’s amazing Just having some fun.