Re learning how to type

So, I haven’t owned an actual computer or have I had to use one in upwards of ten years. I recently received one, and have been disciplining myself to learn better typing etiquette with the help of some online resources. I learned how to type in school, but I resorted back to hunt and peck pretty quickly.

I currently type about 10 WPM [it’s okay, you can laugh], which is waaaaaay slower than I can hunt and peck… BUT, I can almost type completely without looking at my hands now [with some exceptions, of course], which is mind blowing!

This is hard lol

10 Likes

Wow that is surprising as you type some fairly long posts here and elsewhere!

6 Likes

I mostly use my phone, which has a handy microphone-text function. I still have to go in and manually fine tune the text, though

Edit: and otherwise I would hunt and peck on a keyboard

4 Likes

I type 130wpm(weird flex but ok) and Id definitely recommend using a website like typeracer to practice if you’ve already learned proper typing technique. I went from 30-70wpm in like a month or two just from practicing on that site years ago.

6 Likes

I’m still learning technique, but I’ll definitely check that out. Thanks for the info! I can feel my fingers “learning”. It’s a trip

1 Like

Also, I knew a guy who types 80-100wpm using only roughly 5 fingers so if you can hunt and peck fast enough you might not even need to learn “how to type” :joy:

Now that I think about it I only use 8 because I don’t use my right thumb or right pinkie :thinking:

3 Likes

Hahaha, that is impressive! No, it is a personal vendetta by this point. I must master typing without constantly looking at the keyboard!

2 Likes

Actually; My hands are allergic to typing. So I most often type with the tip of my nose. I keep my hands behind my back to give it more of a circus feel.

Only really have problems when I type out something while I have a cold. Because if I start sneezing a lot; I have so many typos and usually end up with a lot of 4 letter words🤓

5 Likes

Ooooh, Doc :wink:

2 Likes

I learned to type on one of these (a manual, not this model). Now I use this one for fun.

6 Likes

No joke, that thing is beautiful

2 Likes

My Precious 1938 Corona Sterling. Here’s a video of one with Pica 10 characters per inch type (mine’s elite which is 12 characters per inch). Same gorgeous color, although mine looks a little darker in the photo above.

6 Likes

Good grief, that is awesome! There’s nothing quite like a well tuned machine

3 Likes

giphy%20(1)

4 Likes

Guess who types thirteen WPM now.
Yep, this guy.:face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

That’s a 30% improvement in ONE DAY!

3 Likes

Look out world

2 Likes

In 9th grade I had General Business and the very first day we were in front of typewriters and learned about the home keys. We were told to practice at home. After school, my mom brought out our typewriter so I could practice. I told her practicing would not work because the letters on our typewriter were in different places than the typewriter at school. Yeah…moms never fall for stuff like that.

3 Likes

I can touch type up to ~27-30 wpm now from approximately 23 wpm about a month ago with some deliberate, daily practice at typeracer.com and typetest.io.

Look out world :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

This lady is soo proud of you

2 Likes