Can you read/write in cursive?

Only curious as to how many people can.

Do they not teach this in elementary school anymore?

1 Like

We learned it in second grade.

BUT I haven’t had to use it since, so when the SAT came up and I ran into the cursive section, I had no idea what to do. Took me a good 5 minutes just to write that one paragraph.

1 Like

Not in my area. It’s basically becoming extinct. I only learned lowercase letters, and a few capitals. I just recently relearned it because I can write much neater in cursive than print.

Most of the kids I teach write in this horrible chicken scratch print and are totally clueless when it comes to deciphering cursive handwriting. One could argue that it’s because they type everything out now, but most of them can’t touch type either.

Yuki

My regular handwriting used to look like chicken scratch. It has improved in the last month. On the other hand, my cursive is pretty good, and neat.

I was seriously never taught.

“Oh, they’ll cover that next year.”

“They should’ve covered that last year.”

Me too, about the SAT! Everyone was waiting on me… like “Dude, what the heck?”

I had cursive grounded into me from the beginning of writing up into high school.
Its actually very difficult for me to “print” write.

. <

Given, my cursive is not very nice looking > . <

Haru

I can kinda write it, but I can’t read it to save my life

So you can’t read what you write?

I was taught all throughout elementary school. It was actually required for students to write assignments in cursive in the 7th grade in my school district.

I haven’t even thought about cursive since 7th grade. It went away so fast.

Of course, typing became a “must have skill” when I was in 6th grade, so cursive was already on the decline. Luckily I was always a very proficient typer by that time (more proficient than many teachers at the school), as I had a rather unhealthy obsession with MMO’s.

Now, my handwritting style combines regular script with cursive. It’s quite unique, and I enjoy the look of it a lot.

Cursive is very quickly declining, and honestly, I don’t have a problem with it. Regular script is easier, faster, cleaner looking, and easier to read. I can appreciate why cursive was around - but now, it really serves no purpose.

The school I went to through 4th grade drilled cursive into us, but I haven’t really used it since I left that school. I can still read it, and write a little, but I don’t use it for much more than signing my name.

My name.

Oh yeah! I can read it and especially write it really well! Not to brag, just sayin… :wink:

I can read it fine, but I write it poorly. I haven’t used cursive other than signing my name for 10 years.

1 Like

Yes, of course.
Except some people’s penmanship is atrocious.

Brings back memories of watching Disney’s The Sword in the Stone

I have the funkiest print/cursive fusion that I’ve been using for years and years. I used to be able to write cursive just fine, but abandoned it in favor of practicality, and have gotten horribly rusty.

I can read cursive perfectly fine, and i can write, but i just write it REALLY slow lol

I write chicken scratch print and decent cursive when i do cursive it feels like a smooth motion while print feels like a Morse code beeper type thing imo