Rant

I feel like we can rant about it on an internet forum all we want, but he still owns those yoyos. Keep working on your own skill. At the end of the day, I don’t care what yoyos anybody else owns, because I care about the ones I do own.

1 Like

thats why this was labeled “rant”

Well, I saw a parent buy their kid a brand new MVP and the kid never threw before. I saw the kid DESTROY that yoyo at a meet. In 2 hours, it went from mint to “suitable only for recycling” condition. The yoyo’s pain ended when the axle snapped and the bearing went rolling away. The child was repeatedly offered help, to which the proud parents were “he’s so good, he doesn’t need help”, CLONK, KLONK, KLONG, DINK, BANG!, just pounding the crap out of that poor yoyo. It was even suggested to shorten the string, and the parents said we didn’t know anything about anything(yet we could bring it back up and do tricks). After the yoyo was destroyed, the parents insisted that the kid get to try one of mine since I had so many, and I said “no” because I didn’t want my stuff destroyed. I was called selfish. Whatever. I shared the rest of my stuff with kids who CAN throw, and most of whom were multitudes better than I am.

What I dislike is when someone, obviously new, is asking for help, and then people come in with $150 options. That’s not helping.

But hey, not my money, not my problem. Do what you want.

I’ll buy what I like. Everyone else can do what they like.

It is kind of frustrating to me to watch kids in my club buy several hundreds of dollars of yoyos in their first month of throwing, especially when I spent my first 2 months on a popstar.

But, on the other hand, I’m glad that they’re getting interested in yoyoing. If it takes all those yoyos to get them to throw, so be it.

It’s their money.

Plus, if they buy a ton of yoyos and then quit, you can snag some nice yoyos for cheap :wink:

I guess there is always a bright side of things

Also though, is someone gets into throwing because of $100+ yoyos they probably aren’t getting into it because they like throwing, they’re probably into it because they can own hundred plus dollar yoyos (if that makes any sense)

I started on a $120 Skyline.

I wish I knew anyone in real life who was interested in yoyo’s. Regardless if they had a FHZ or a CLYW. It seems having a friend who throws will increase your skill, since you both motivate/teach each other.

I spend 6 months on a Dash. No biggie. The kids that I taught got nice ODs, first week of throwing. The people that I taught also taught people. Some of them got crazy nice yoyos. Like 300$ Peaks, YYRs, super rare Vs. Newtons, and CLYWs. Although I was better than them, thier collections were far superior. Some of these kids didn’t even know how to bind. Most didn’t know anything about maintaining yoyos, or the yoyo community. At first, I was annoyed. Jealous. They got so much that I only got after a year of throwing. They were also learning quicker, because they didn’t need to struggle with a yomega instructional video, or spend hours looking for good tutorials online, I just taught them or directed the to YYE. But now I am over that jealousy. Sorta. I’m still really jealous of Deeman103’s yoyo collection… But at least he is a good thrower now and knows about yoyos. Most of these kids that bought 100$ + yoyos last year quit throwing, or lost their yoyos.

I find it amusing that I can show up anyone with my classic
because its only 10 bucks many people think I’m some begginer but are widely surprised

The most amusing thing is when others ask how I’m so good with a cheap plastic and I say it the skills not the yoyo

And then you punch them in the face and run off laughing.

I agree with the OP completely. This is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I can tell you it’s not a jealousy thing. Whatsoever. I can afford all the throws they can, I’m not jealous of them at all. I’m annoyed by the fact that these kids know NOTHING and waste their money on these $100 throws, and will probably get out of yoyoing 99% of the time. It annoys the heck out of me. I know I’ll probably get hate for saying this, and I have in the past, but I honestly don’t care. This is something that irks me more than anything. It’s the skill, not the yoyo. And until you know that you’re going to be yoyoing for a long time, and continue to progress, you should NOT be buying $100+ throws. To those who say it’s their money, and they can do what they want with it- this is true, but it’s also a massive WASTE. I’ve seen so many kids invest so much in yoyoing, then two weeks later their on to something else. It’s so stupid. Sorry if I came off harsh, but this bugs the heck out of me.

2 Likes

Ill be the first to admit that i probably have better yoyos than i am. I have an ava under my tree and still have some trouble putting a nice clean combo together. A lot of you could be jealous of what i hate but im jealous of the skill a lot of you guys have. Skill is more valuable than the yoyo you have. The only thing is that ive been yoyoing for a while and am certain that im not stopping anytime soon.

You sir, hit the nail righ on the head of this one. I completely agree.

1 Like

It happens to everyone, happened to me, happening to you. You’re fine, don’t sweat it. It’s the kids who know literally nothing and have no skill at all who buy $100+ throws with the mindset that this yoyo will make them better that annoys me, and a few other people.

But like you said, im also not going to let it sit on the table and collect dust. I plan on yoyoing for a long time and probably wont make another purchase for a couple months. Im also old enough to be out of that this isnt just another fad. Its a hobby and now a collection.

What about these people who buy more and more yoyo’s, or new ones. People just eat them up like candy. So what if someone spends $100+ on their first yoyo. Not so much a waste as people who spend thousands on dozens of yoyo’s. Which is more wasteful might you say? Having 20+ yoyo’s in which some get play maybe once a month, if ever, or having 1 yoyo that doesn’t get played but you may pick it back up in a month or two down the road?

Of course, I understand, and kind of agree with what you’re saying (if they’re buying multiple expensive yoyo’s and can barely bind)… but if you’re NOT in the mindset that “this yoyo will make them [me] better” then why do you continue to buy even more yoyo’s? It’s an interesting thing to think about.

Same exact here. I’m not all that great at yoyo’ing but it’s one of my favorite hobbies.

I saw someone’s signature on here once that said that yoyos are like pens. Some are smoother than others, but you can’t buy an expensive pen, and expect it to improve your handwriting. Yes, there are people with more money/expensive throws then you, but that doesn’t make them automatically better then you.

The size and dollar value of my collection might suggest one thing. If you guessed “He has a lot of money to spend on yoyos”, then you’re right. Anything else would be unfounded assumption!

My LOW skill level is the reality of the situation. I don’t deny it. I also want to be doing this for quite some time, maybe until my very end.

Odd how I still mostly throw my DM2.

This has never bothered me at all… let people buy what they want! Jeez. Quit worrying about what others do with their benjamins and work on improving your own collections/tricks.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree with this more. Quit hating on what people buy and throw yoyos. Who cares.