Raise in CLYW's prices?

What, raising the price?

1 Like

No, the comic. I think Chris has seen this and is going to respond to it.

Um, I draw the comic. I’ll make sure to tell Chris this came up.

1 Like

He’s posting in the thread as of right now. He knows.

1 Like

I’m sorry that some of you are not very happy with our pricing, but unfortunately we had to raise our prices to continue in this industry. CLYW is my full time job and not just some willy nilly hobby. I made the choice to quit my job, get an office, hire an employee, sponsor a team and this is unfortunately what comes with making a decision like that … you need to make some critical business decisions to keep going. We also have a lot of other overhead costs, ie: travel expenses for team members, contest sponsorship, accountant costs, income taxes, high quality artwork, I just sent probably over $5000 in return tops/apparel to our team for Christmas!!

The costs for us to make our return tops are also quite high actually. We manufacture both in Canada and the USA. Mostly in Canada now. Some other Canadian manufactures make their throws at their place of work or have their friends do them. Unfortunately we are not in that situation. We also ship our return tops to the United States to get anodized and returned. I recently just paid $1350 in duty fees/shipping on just one run.

l hope to make some changes next year and lower our costs so that we can become more sustainable … and get our throws into more people’s hands … but with how things went this year we had no choice but to either quit or raise our price. We decided to raise our price and at the same time we also ended up having one of the most successful years we have ever had. Chiefs flew off the shelves for most of the year and I truly feel that this price matches the value.

The Cliff was also the most expensive return top that we have ever machined. It was quite complex and also the largest. Larger bar stock and piece by piece handling comes at a premium.

We are just not in a place currently to lower our wholesale pricing to stores. If we went lower there wouldn’t be much point. Stores would be making waaay more then us and we’d probably just have to switch to direct sales. I prefer helping out the stores that keep this yoyo community going so right now that is not really an option.

We have plenty of Gnarwhals and Avalanches available at lower prices. Plus we always offer up our b-grade or ‘Fool’s Gold’ return tops at discount prices … where most people just laugh at us and don’t understand why they were pulled out of the production run.

I really do appreciate all of the support that you have all shown us over the years. It really does mean a lot. I can’t believe where CLYW is today. It’s amazing. We sponsor a US National Champion, we have the 2010 World Champion assembling return tops, there are over 1500 Chiefs floating around, I GOT TO FLY TO PRAGUE!!!, got the industry excellence award … It is seriously a dream come true.

Gahhhhh … I don’t even own a car!!! … this isn’t like some lavish lifestyle running a return top company. I work like 12 hour days. Barely see my family some days. Just like most of you hard working folks out there.

All I can say is I’m sorry you’re not happy people who aren’t happy. But we’re doing the best that we can and supporting the community and the players that got us here. We make some of the best return tops around. We have the best players in the industry standing behind our throws.

Gosh I need a break

Merry Christmas everyone!

26 Likes

The prices are pretty fair in my opinion, look at Yoyorecreation and Turning point lol, just wish I could afford those high-end throws :wink:

1 Like

I’d also like to add that Chris is about the best guy to draw stuff for in the history of ever.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing that up Chris, a nice way to end the thread. And thank you for all you do for this community… glad to own some of your throws! :slight_smile:

Well said Chris! Ive supported CLYW since the Peak came out at $85 or so and have continued with the Cliff at $165! You make the best,and I have no problem paying a touch more to get the best!

Thanks for all you have done! And good luck in 2013!

Thanks for hopefully shutting everyone up.

Merry Christmas

Agreed I hope that his post will finally put the CLYW price posts to bed.

Of course it won’t. Chris has stated his reasons for the prices in the past yet the same discussion with the same arguments seems to come up every few months.

Chris you are the best. I will continue to support your great company.

Here we go again…another CLYW thread.
CLYW’s prices are that way because people are willing to pay for that much. Brand loyalty is strong

This is the truth, summed up perfectly! Everyone will have some kind of brand loyalty, where money doesn’t eclipse the product. Everyone will be willing to drop

Although I don’t blame Chris for cracking that much per yoyo… If he’s making a living off of this (granted not a lavish one) then what do you expect? My dreams are to live a simple life making a living off of something I love, that’s what makes a humble and happy life. Not grinding away at some mind-numbing job for scrap money, lying to your friends that your job is great because you don’t wanna swallow your pride. I respect the man.

Hahaha, Although, $5000 in presents… holy crap man, I spent $150 between everyone I know. Times are tough ahhaa.

I respect Chris for this. Any kind of business is no joke. Given the bad economy we have worldwide I’m still amazed how Chris can keep the Lodge strong. He’s definitely a risk-taker. I’m not the kind to take risks, especially with money so business is not my thing. I know some doesn’t give a single care about all of that and all they care is the pricetag. So am I in some degree, but I simply can’t afford his throws right now and I can’t buy it.

When I do, however, get a steady job, I’ll give his yoyos a shot.

I’m just glad I’m not a parent yet 'cause I’m gonna cry to see my wallet empty D:

I have no brand loyalty to CLYW. I like the products and have thrown many in my day. That being said, those that say I, and others, are wrong because we have including shipping, machining, and anodizing as reasons for the higher prices are just showing their ignorance of the industry at large.

Chris’ explanation was welcome but totally unnecessary. He has his rights to charge whatever he wants. Just like I have the right to decline to buy one of his yoyos. It has nothing to do with not liking him, I prioritize my family over myself and $165 can be better spent on my kids. As a father himself, I am sure Chris completely understands this stance. That is something we also need to keep in mind. CLYW is not just supporting him and the business, CLYW is supporting Chris’ family (wife, kid, dog, etc). He may be Canadian but he is darn well living the American dream right there… making a living doing what he loves.

As I have said in other threads, let him charge what he wants. The market will decide when it is too much. Until then, good luck Chris I hope your company is prosperous and has an extremely long life ahead of it.

[quote=“saintrobyn,post:57,topic:46915”]
HAHA I love that fact that you included the dog!!! ROTFL…

Merry Christmas Chris and thanks for all the great throws!!!

all these threads are getting annoying.

2 Likes