CLYW Glacier Express.

Look at the clyw facebook company info page. It says an upcoming return top is the glacier express, your thoughts?

Hmmmm… I thought Chris’s next throw was the BvM Round 2.

Could be a colorway.

one of my friends talks to chris all the time (even got an arctic circle before they released) and he told me the glacier express is the next clyw throw. he described it to me but i cant really remember >,<

i won’t be impressed until CLYW creates a yoyo that is easily available to everyone at an affordable price

Horribly over priced though. It too, will be $140+

I think it’s a pretty innovative way to shift the weight to the outer rim while keeping the inner ring.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

I like CLYW but the price increase is unjustified to the original excuse (which IMO was always BS)

Its absurd. The last time I bought a CLYW was a Wooly Marmot when they first came out. And I haven’t bought from them since. Unless the prices go back down to what they use to be, they’ve lost me as a customer permanently.

I doubt the price will go down, the demand is still high… People who want clyw quality will still pay the same… N they keep selling out … So that’s not changing

So I don’t see a change coming soon… There are plenty of other threads with others expressing their concerns about clyw prices… and Chris replies to most of them …

My thing is … There are other yoyos that cost higher then CLYW…

If price is too high …don’t buy… People who like clyw quality will still buy regardless

But its not about quality at this point. He was selling that same quality for years. Then decided to spike the price.

Last post on Page 3

This is a massive departure from the “organic” type shapes with amazing performance that made CLYW so desired in the first place. I would also expect a $135+ price tag. I have a feeling this is a leading indicator that prices in general will be on the rise not just with CLYW, but many other companies. If he could keep everything IN Canada, he could save on shipping and duties.

I can’t talk about CLYW and how they run that business. Why? I haven’t a clue. I don’t know them, I don’t talk to them, but I really do like their products.

What I will say is that CLYW COULD drive prices down and maintaining quality simply by making larger production runs, or at least larger bulk batches, which would include multiple products. Typical economies of scale stuff.

However, bear with me for a second. Maybe CLYW is trying to make the work they put into their product match the price. We all are becoming more and more aware what it costs to prototype. We’re learning maybe too much as far as what it costs to produce a product, from start to finish. We can estimate within reasonable numbers what things ACTUALLY cost to produce. This isn’t information WE should have. We should NOT know what people like the folks at CLYW make per unit, which shows us the wholesale cost vs. the Tier 1 cost. Then we can figure out what people like Andre are making per unit, which is the Tier2/retail cost in this case. These are numbers we don’t really need to know. All we end up seeing is that people are making money off of us. They should. Someone has to manufacture or at least machine it. That has machine hours, man hours and material costs, PLUS shipping. It’s got to go out to get anodized, so there’s shipping costs, man hours and materials. Then it’s got to “go home” and hence more shipping. Now it’s got to get assembled, but it needs more parts: bearings, axles, Snow Tires. At this point he’s out of pocket for the whole deal, PLUS he’s stamping the boxes, installing the responses, installing the axles and installing the bearings. I think his time invested in assembly is worth something as well, including a mark-up on the total costs he’s out of pocket, plus a “fair market cost” for his assembly and time. That’s what a place like YYE pays.

But we know this, right?

We have two choices. We can buy it or not buy it. The market will eventually dictate what the proper price is. I think prices are actually reflecting where they should be, even though I don’t like the higher prices. I also do think that the mark-ups are in some areas too low, but in other places too high. We have to understand that CLYW is a business, and as a business, it exists to make money. YYE is ALSO a business, and it exists to make money as well.

I want people like those at CLYW to make money at this. I also want people like at YYE to make money off this. I have other places I buy from as well, and I expect them to make money off me. I have no problem with that. That’s maybe stupid from my position as a consumer. I won’t go into my past where I was dealing with hardware sales, it’s a whole other level of (censored by OP, not by Admin!). I get the whole thing. Having to buy a Tier3 level, I’ve already had to deal with 3 levels of mark-up before I get to buy it in order to resell it, leaving me no room for profit, or at the very least, not making enough money for me to give a crap about it anymore and walk away from it. I mean, to work my butt off for a $50K+ sale and end up with less than $1000 in my pocket to show for it… ain’t worth it, especially when they take 180+ days to pay after multiple re-submissions, not to mention it took over 6 months to get the deal secured and closed. A year of busting my hump for $1000 to show… that’s not good business.

Now back to the new Glacier Express:
Again, a vast departure from the typical CLYW lines and designs. I’m not sure about this one, price or not. I’m sure the performance is good, but it just is too unconventional for me. I’ll have to think about this one. We’ll have to show what we feel with the prices when it comes to buying. We also have to understand that CLYW doesn’t sell exclusively through YYE, so other markets may be willing to pick up the slack if we here refuse to accept the prices.

Sorry for the mini-lecture and rant.

We’re lucky as a hobby to have companies that offer products at different price levels.

However, it’s a little naive to expect every company to offer a product at every price level.

Put another way… One doesn’t expect Ferrari to offer a car at $10,000, one at $50,000 and then one at $250,000. They occupy the luxury end of the spectrum and price products accordingly.

CLYW has made the conscious decision to be Ferrari, not Toyota. Based on the success with which he is selling out, the market supports this move.

In my humble opinion, this is a good thing. Our hobby is made up of a diverse user base with varying degrees of motivations (casual players, competitive players, collectors) and varying income levels (kids, students, working professionals). We are best served by a variety of companies (mass market, mid range and luxury) and a range of products.

Rather than criticize CLYW for reinventing itself as a luxury company, I think it’d be more constructive to remember that as CLYW moves up the hierarchy, other companies will move in to fill in the middle tier. And also remember, that those of you who lament the expensive pricing today may come to appreciate having high end, collectible yoyos when you move up in earning potential and money is a somewhat lesser issue.

1 Like

Do you think that other companies who charge even more are justified in asking what they do, or is this an industry-wide complaint that you wouldn’t buy a yoyo at more than $140? If the latter then of course that’s your choice, but if the former, seems like a harsh double standard. CLYW isn’t the most expensive company out there, and even “common” brands YYF have models which are more expensive. In fact, high end metals in general are usually in the $110-140 range.

In any case, this is the benefit of doing short runs at higher prices. I’m sure they’d like to have you as a customer, but if they don’t, there are 10 more people who’ll be fighting for the yoyo you’re not buying.

were not asking for every price level. were just asking for something affordable and widley available and think about it like this; if you come up with a great design of a yoyo, what good is it if it can’t be sold to as many people as possible so that everyone can enjoy? why should only the wealthiest of people be able to enjoy the quality of clyw? the reason that we are made is because CLYW and abandoned it’s loyal costumers that gave clyw it’s place in the community and now it’s catering toward fanboy who will instantly say the “it’s that good” and collectors, or people with money.

the reason were mad is because they’ve forgotten us. i wan’t to buy the yoyo because i want to play the yoyo, not because it is from CLYW.

this is why i enjoy onedrop

In pretty much any other hobby or activity, expecting a high line, top quality, market defining product for under $200 is straight up laughable. Be happy that yoyoing isn’t mad expensive.

Every time Chris announces a new CLYW yoyo, there are at least 5 people [citation needed] who always say something about the prices in a negative way. I don’t have the means to get a CLYW throw as much as I want to but I don’t go ranting. *sigh. It’s okay, because someone else is going to buy it.

Move along.

Anyway, I’m excited for those. I hope someone in town gets them so I can try those out :]

That assumes that CLYW has the ability to do it. I have a feeling CLYW’s pricing and production structure is a result of discovering how the business can be run profitably. Yeah, it’d be great if they could afford to make 3000 yoyos on every run and sell them for $50. But, it’s not a corporation and it’s not a charity. It’s a very small business. They won’t be making any yoyos for you to try if they can’t justify doing it.

One drop yoyos are still $100. I mean, really. For a yoyo this is still incredibly expensive. If you can afford to spend that for a One Drop then the argument for not being “wealthy” enough to buy a $130-140 yoyo is pretty weak.

One Drop also has its own machine shop which is something CLYW does not enjoy. Anything CLYW does has to be run through a middle man who is also making a profit, so they couldn’t even offer One Drops at the price that One Drop can, let alone their own designs.

[/quote]
Do you think that other companies who charge even more are justified in asking what they do, or is this an industry-wide complaint that you wouldn’t buy a yoyo at more than $140? If the latter then of course that’s your choice, but if the former, seems like a harsh double standard. CLYW isn’t the most expensive company out there, and even “common” brands YYF have models which are more expensive. In fact, high end metals in general are usually in the $110-140 range.

In any case, this is the benefit of doing short runs at higher prices. I’m sure they’d like to have you as a customer, but if they don’t, there are 10 more people who’ll be fighting for the yoyo you’re not buying.
[/quote]
if i had the money, i would gladly pay if i thought i would enjoy the USE i got out of the yoyo. i would typically justify higher prices for higher quality materials such as 7075 aluminum, or titanium. heck, i’ll even give foreign companies a little bit of slack just for exchange rates the their standards of living. but i see no justification for a higher price just because they want to see how much can get out of me. but here’s the discrepency; before i can even think about saving up the money to possibly buy a second-hand whatever yoyo. i know there will be cluster of people just waiting at their computers to buy the yoyo the second it is in stock, i don’t stand a chance.

and the worst part is that your absolutley right stookie. as hard as i express myself, there are about 10 other people who will foaming at the mouth for the next best thing