R.I.P. Paul Ash (Sniffyo)

This is incredibly sad. Not to seem insensitive, but does anyone know what happened? Was it some sort of complication from his scooter accident?

Again, my condolences. To all family and friends who may read this thread, please know that Paul was an extremely valued member of this community. He was one of the most positive and productive contributors Iā€™ve known. Paulā€™s presence, kindness, and creativity will be greatly missed.

Hereā€™s a guy whose attitude and spirit easily affect people who have never even met him. There arenā€™t many like that in this world. Weā€™ll be poorer for this loss, but still rich for what he has left us.

Thanks for everything, Paul.

1 Like

oh nevermindā€¦

Link removed out of respect

Very, very sad.

Mod Note/Disclaimer: Please note - Paul took his own life. Very sad indeed.
The link above contains a link to the note he left. Itā€™s very depressing and and a number of people have expressed concerns about leaving it here. I would advise people to seriously consider if they are up to that before going there.
-jhb8426-

Rest in Peace Paul.

You will be sorely missed. I cannot even believe this still. You were one of my favorite reviewers. My deepest condolences to family and friends.

Deeply sadden by this.

I was unsure if I wanted to post this link.

It is a very, very sad story indeed.

The yoyo community lost a valued member, and many people lost a friend. He will be missed.

Wow, Iā€™m just stunned. Paul was a terrific guy. He gave me some nice input and advice. He also put me in touch with AndrĆ©. Just a great helpful guy. What a loss.

Rest In Paradise.

Yeah sorry, I forgot to mention that proper discretion should be used before visiting that website. Really sad stuff. I had no idea he was in so much pain, I would have liked to help if I had known.

I am just stunned. This is unbelievably sad. I never got any idea of this based in his reviews.

Rest in peace.

Sad, sad story. For the love of God, if you or anyone you know are having suicidal thoughts or experiencing depression PLEASE PLEASE TALK TO SOMEONE. People care, they really do.
No matter what problems you are struggling with, hurting yourself isnā€™t the answer. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to talk to a counselor at a Lifeline crisis center near you.
That is a 24 hour hotline if you are worried about being judged by someone you know. They are there to help. Heck, send me a message if you want, I care, Iā€™m a trained SAPR advocate(Sexual assault and prevention) for the Navy and I have experience with some tough situations. I feel bad for Paulā€™s family and friends and donā€™t want to see anyone go down a similar path.
again, my condolences.

19 Likes

This is so unfortunate. He was such a good person. I always got excited to see his review videos in my subscription box :frowning:

Now Iā€™m really sad after visiting that website and reading it. I never would have guessed. Iā€™ve gone through some really tough times lately, but I was lucky enough to have a large group of people around me that were willing to sacrifice their time and energy to help me. The yo-yoing community is such a generous place, I wish he had reached out for support here :frowning: Truly a terrible loss.

If anything I post seems in bad taste I apologize (and I donā€™t want to be rude but the link to that website may not be appropriate for this forum imo). Losing a person that clearly meant a lot to so many people is really disheartening, especially coming from my own perspective where there can always be light at the end of the tunnel.

3 Likes

Very very sad. Selfishly, I wish Sniffyo was still here to offer his unique perspective and yoyo reviews. He will certainly be missed.

And what Navythrow posted is important.

+1. I generally hate video reviews of any product/place. His were the only ones I have ever sought out.

R.I.P. Paul, I never knew you personally, you probably donā€™t know me, but I have seen your videos and enjoyed them many times, in fact your reviews are the ONLY reviews Iā€™ve actually paid attention to. I really wish someone could have stopped you and helped you out. I would have let you stay in my house if I had the chance to. Someone taking away their own life is the saddest thing ever, I tear up no matter who it is. I hope you enjoy heaven and continue throwing. Rest in peace.

Very sad :frowning:
R.I.P.

im going to miss sniffy yo a lot. i got the impression he was suffering from his videos, didnt realize it was so bad. i was actually planning on sending him a bunch of throws as i randomly had his address from winning a contest.
I guess thatā€™s the type of dude he was though, throwing contests and holding benefits for cats when he was in so much emotional peril.

anyhow, as the opinion of ONE depressed person (myself,) i also echo that people should reach out if they feel they are able. i cant agree with the entire post of navythrowā€™s though. sometimes hurting oneself can feel like the ONLY answer. itā€™s obviously not the first one, as people make other efforts in the first place, but to condense everyones problems down and apply the ā€œeverything will eventually be okayā€ blanket to it doesnt always work. Being in true and complete despair (which, of course, only can be understood by the person feeling it) is really really a heck i wouldnt wish on anyone.

But to reiiterate, please at least TRY to get help, if you are feeling depressed or having self injurious thoughts. It IS always worth a shot. you down owe it to anyone but yourself.

edit: changed a simple typo.

2 Likes

I usually hate posting in these kind of threads because I never really know the people, and feel like Iā€™m out of place, giving my condolences because Iā€™m socially obligated to. Sounds kinda cold, but I usually feel really strange doing it.

With this community, however, I really feel like Iā€™m actually part of it, and weā€™re all on the same crazy boat. Even though Iā€™ve never met Paul, watched or read his reviews, or had much interaction with him in any way, I feel like thereā€™s still a connection, if only because of yoyo.

Rest in Peace Paul.