Questions People ask you when YoYoing in Public that gets under your Skin

oh jeez. no. there is no “name” for the yoyo community. nobody knows we exist!

absolutely not. at no point are you obligated to let a strange child wreck your belongings. kids will laugh if you punch yourself in the face. they’d smile if you pooped your pants. id be more concerned with why a 3 year old is out in public approaching strangers unsupervised… besides yoyos have age limits, so you were just being irresponsible anyways.

Haha I never said you had too all I said is its worth it especially to me!

Some people like to live life with worldly possessions and some people like to live life seeing others smile and making the world a better place even if it is something as small as letting a little boy play with a toy. I am the type that am not to worried about one of the 30+ yoyos I have.

And there might not be a name now but maybe someday there might be. And honestly everyone knows what a YOYO is and every time I’m out in public people are interested its growing fast.

Lastly I’m not here to get in a fight with you. So please don’t take it that way. It is just my opinion obviously and obviously you can have your own. Great part about being in America! Haha so to each there own. But to those of us who like to live life the way (it should be lived) I salute you.

yeah, sure. see?
*walks the dog.

nope. it’s just made of wood.

like $40

yep. not really that much for how much fun it is.

i guess so, yeah. i mean not THAT much, but i don’t really watch tv.

man a bunch of tricks are tough for me. here’s a hard one.
*does “star-within-a-star” (picture tricks always look hard to beginners.)

totally. go for it.

*tries. bangs it on the ground.

no big deal.
*legitimately not a big deal.

everybody thinks that, but it’s easier than you think. here’s a card. go check out this yoyoexpert site. it’s got a ton of videos that show you how to get started.

i’ve had a LOT of people come up to me and ask about my yo-yoing, which is exactly what you should expect when you play out in public. there are different levels to how aggressive they can be with this kind of stuff, but 99% of people who ask you anything are doing so not to be jerks, but because they find it INTERESTING. probably 70% of those people have a hard time expressing that they are interested in something someone is doing WITHOUT acting defensive about it, so their questions might seem irritating or condescending (i.e. “do you have a lot of free time?”). if you keep your head about it and are actually secure in why you’re playing yo-yo, they’re actually pretty easy to deal with, and they almost always leave thinking it’s cooler than they initially assumed. and letting somebody try your yo-yo (or having a cheaper one they can try) is a great way to make them go from defensive to thinking it’s at least moderately rad… cause it is.

tl;dr: when you play in public and deal with people, just be yourself (and make sure “yourself” isn’t a big turdblossom).

3 Likes

I have the big 3.

A) Woah, is it spinning?!

B) I bet I could do better. Let me try!

C) wow, you must have a lot of free time.

You guys are funny!

I envision many yoyoer’s thinking:

Hey there is a good spot to throw. Everyone will be able to see me. Perfect!

Nobody better say anything to me, NOBODY!

This guy is walking towards me, he’s watching me nail this combo. He better not say anything, please don’t say anything. He went on by.

What? He didn’t say anything! How could he ignore me like that? argh!

Here comes a lady, she’s watching me, I’ll show her something amazing. She better not say anything. She’s going to say something I know it! She’s talking to me! ARGH!

What’s wrong with these people? :smiley:

I guess if you can’t handle the heat stay out of the kitchen, or in this case, if you can’t handle the questions stay away from the public.

1 Like

“Do it again! Do it again!” - Dude, I’ve been yoyo’ing for less than 2 months, I am going to mess up if I do it again.

the worst one i get quite a bit it people saying " your such an idiot devoting your life to such a meaningless toy" then they try to strap some kinda deep meaningful comment to that.

I say so your against hobbies… you must lead a very boring life.

for me its when…

-people ask if its a “trick/competition yoyo” (It doesn’t annoy me, I just find this quite amusing XD)
-people say that they are the national champion (actually happened twice at my high school, I told them about Zach and then they said they were second…then third, etc…it made my day XD)
-when im busting out combos and someone walks up and says
"can you do insert any beginner level trick here
-when people say I have a “boring/no life”. I already deal with bullying sometimes (not the most popular kid in school, im fine wit it doe ;)) and, in my eyes is a form of bullying me, even if the person saying it don’t think they are hurting ma feelz

1. (After i just did black hops) “Can you walk the dog?” That’s the biggest one. I hate it. If I can do black hops, how hard do you think putting the yoyo on the ground is? I usually just say “No man that’s one of the hardest tricks to do.”
  2. “So you just sit in your room all day play with your yoyo? Gay.”
  3. “That’s not how you get laid bro.”
  4. “Oh thats one of those po light balls?!”
  5. “I used to be pretty good-(Does eli hops into a matrix and then iron whip)-Whoa.”
  6. “How long do you have to practice that.”
  7. “Can i try?” (Metals, no. Plastic, sure. It’s funny to watch them try and get it back up.)
  8. “how does it spin that long?”
  9. “Is here a motor in that thing?” (Cause of the noise, I don’t know why there would be one in there. XD)
    and lastly 10. “Whoa! do you do contest or something?”
    Some are obviously more annoying than others, but those are the ones i get. Most people actually thinks it’s cool, some girls even like to stick around and talk a while witch is nice. XD

“What’s your best trick” and “How many yoyos do you have” always get under my skin because people at school ask it ALL THE TIME and I’ve said countless times, “I have no ‘best’ trick” and “I don’t know how many yoyos I have.” Then there are the people who sell their junky magic yoyos and claim to have the “best yoyo in the world” when its just a stupid yomega glide, when there are MUCH better yoyos for a lower price (like the shutter and 86400).

Magic yoyo isn’t junky bro. XD

…quoting a miss spelling?

im such a grammar diabolo

Well stick with me and I’ll keep you busy man.

Most things don’t really annoy me and I don’t like hating people for dumb reasons. But once someone told me “how much time do waste yoyoing” That one really hurt. But I know he probably lives a boring life and finds enjoyment in putting people down.

1 Like

You have to expect people to hate what they don’t understand. It’s what society does currently. It’s what’s expected, it’s even a pitfall for many of us. Let’s face it, it takes courage for people to come up and talk to us and we often choose to get defensive about what we do. Why? Everyone wastes time, everyone does something that someone else doesn’t understand. We all have interests that others don’t or can’t appreciate. Why’s that a problem?

It’s the essence of being individuals. There’s nothing wrong with people not sharing an interest and saying so. Of course they don’t need to be jerks about it but we don’t need to be overly sensitive either. It’s always easiest to discount what you don’t understand instead of learning more about something and making an informed decision and maybe even trying it for a while.

When people ask me questions about what I do, I respect their courage to approach me and share. It’s the ultimate compliment even if they can’t understand the why or the how I do it.

Actually the questions don’t get under my skin, I enjoy meeting people.

1 Like

I finally got hit with “you must have way too much free time on your hands…” It was a proud moment. I said, “yeah.”

yeah, in public, but unfortunately I cube and yoyo at school and at least half have negative intentions. One kid made up a trick he called the dentaroo, where he smashes my yoyo into the road. I try to avoid him but often times I can’t. However, throwing in regular society is fine and most of the time people do have good intentions. Needless to say it don’t yoyo at school much anymore.

one time a guy in a weal chair hattend to try my yoyo in my school but all of my oyos are expenseive and he would ding them, i did feel bad for him but i just cant let him try but now he is litteraly harasing me to try it, i hate it when people qant to try my throws, or whem people say its just a yoyo, or when they ask you can you do around the world and walk the dog