Questions People ask you when YoYoing in Public that gets under your Skin

i totally hate it when people ask me if they can make out with me when im yoyoing. im obviously in a very serious relationship with my hands

2 Likes

It’s good to endure the questions and take it instead as an opportunity to introduce people to yo-yoing. Maybe if it was called a manually operated non-battery driven skill machine it wouldn’t have such a stigma and be thought of as a child’s toy.

I think what get under my skin more is the lack of interest in yoyoing. I was at a yoyo club earlier and we were trying to draw more people, asking them if their kids want to check out the yoyo club. Most people just ignored and continued on their merry way…like they were too good for yoyoing.

And the saddest question of them all is…“What is that thing?”

1 Like

Ive had two people ask me now “Is that thing 'lectric?”

It made me LOL both times. hahaa

I was joking around about that earlier when we were ranting about kids and their lack of interest in this hobby…we brought up questions of “does dat theeng hav uh motor in it?” “Does dat take batteries?” “Is that thing even spinning?”

It’s really sad when people don’t know what it is. Even older generations. I feel it’s a right of passage for a child. Whether they like it or not, it’s something that should be apart of anyone’s childhood.

this happens to me every day. It’s sickening.

I don’t think I’ve ever really gotten erritated when someone talked to me about yoyoing. Ofcouse, people usually ask silly questions, but I think that’s kinda to be ecpected. And it’s always fun to talk to people about it and hopefully get them interested. Majority of the people who show an interest in what I do are genuine. Even when some “too cool for school” guys were half mocking half intrested I let them try my “one” (I ain’t about to let um try my high end :P) One then proceeded to try to walk the dog, lol.

I guess my point is, be open about your yoyoing and not be standoffish or showoffish.(is that a word?) I have a friend that REALLY discouraged a dude with genuine interest. The guy was trying to wind it up after trying to do a trapeze. But he didn’t know how to properly wind up an unresponsive. So my friend said “bro, he doesn’t even know how to wind it up!” Over and over, laughing and in a rather rude manner. Sadly though, people often are discouraged after trying it. I always try to urge them on, but I kinda feel like people think I’m being sarcastic lol. I guess because I’m in high school maybe some people think that I have bad intentions or don’t like them or, honestly I don’t know what XD

Tbh the only thing I dislike is when people are intrested but DONT try it. But it’s all good cuz were all having fun :slight_smile:

I allways have some low end throws with me at school, i try to bring atleast 2 for people to try. I recommend you do too. You just might inspire a young padawon :smiley:

Gotta correct you here- it’s what society has ALWAYS done. All the way back to being executed for studying astronomy and disagreeing with the church, etc.

1 Like

The things people say never get under my skin much — in fact it’s nice when someone decides to take interest in what I’m doing. But after all these years, it seems like everyone who spots me Yo-Yoing can only say phrases from a list of things I’ve heard many times before. Certain questions also seem to come most consistently from people of a certain age group. Here’s what I can recall off the top of my head:

“How do you do that?”
“Well I’ve never seen anything like that” (older adults)
“Oh snap that’s insane/crazy/sick/amazing/dope/etc.” (teenagers/young adults)
“Why doesn’t the string get tangled?”
“I can’t even get a Yo-Yo to come back up the string”
“If I tried that I would just hit myself in the face”
“If I tried that I would just get the string tangled”
“Can you ‘Walk The Dog’?”
“Can you ‘Rock The Cradle’?”
“Can you do two Yo-Yos at once?”
“Oh I used to have a Yo-Yo, but I only knew the basic tricks”
“How did you learn those tricks?”
“How often do you have to practice?”
“What kind of Yo-Yo is that?”
“Is that a Duncan Butterfly?” (older adults)
“Is that a Yomega or something?” (young adults)
“Is the Yo-Yo actually spinning?”
“Is the Yo-Yo motorized or something?”
“Is that like a trick Yo-Yo?”
“How much did that Yo-Yo cost?”
“Do you compete in competitions?” (older adults)
“You should like, become a street performer” (teenagers)
“Did you know Yo-Yos were originally invented as weapons?”
“…Can I try?"

And of course, some spectators and friends will act as though they’ve discovered the secret to my skill once they figure out I’m using a very expensive Yo-Yo, as though the object itself has bestowed me with these abilities. If I have time, I will often say something along the lines of “Well, expensive Yo-Yos often spin longer, and they tend to be easier to control and manipulate during tricks. Much like musical instruments, you’re simply paying for how well you want the object to do what it’s supposed to do. The expensive object won’t make you more skilled than you are, but it usually possesses the potential to do it’s job much better than something cheaper.”

people need to learn to either not care, or if they do, not be a jerk about it.

society nowadays is so wrapped up in the fact that if you aren’t doing something either flawlessly, like everyone else, or on your iPhone 12345678910987654321, you are not worth being acknowledged, which is the absolute worst thing (IN MY OPINION) about people nowadays. I am not only a yoyoer, but I also do not own an iphone, am socially awkward, was diagnosed with aspergers in 3rd grade, and have a different sexuality than the majority of others (and am open about it if people end up asking) I am all of these with no shame whatsoever. im a hate MAGNET lol

but I have learned to deal with it :smiley:

back to the main topic though, I am eagerly awaiting the day someone asks if I have too much time. ITZ GON B GUD. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Do you have too much time?

If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

or

If you can’t take the questions/comments, don’t yo in public.

There’s nothing better than complaining about complaining. :wink:

1 Like

I don’t really yoyo in public, so this answer is more broad. No non-thrower can ever believe how much my yoyos cost! The “You wasted that much money on this piece of junk?” look does get under my skin. Now when I point out they probably spend $100-$150 on cable and $600 every time a new smartphone comes out, that’s a different story. Those things actually have value. ::slight_smile:

No, how bout yourself? Lol

I just get made fun of at school for it.

oh well. Pay no attention to them. They clearly don’t have a hobby cause if they did they wouldn’t be a jerk about it. People with hobbies are certainly cooler than loser without.

Thanks for the positive support!

No worries. They’re just childish. You’ll learn that once you get older, people around you will be more mature and not be childish like that. I’m 26 with children and no one says anything. They just think it’s impressive and that its nice I can be passionate about. You’ll see.

I hate when someone tells me to do the hardest trick I know. No matter how many I know the one I’m working on will always be the hardest, it doesn’t matter if it’s as simple as rock the baby or as complicated as gentry steins routine