Popular yo-yo that you just couldn't get into?

I usually like Iceberg-H, as the straight line that leads to the gap in the wedge also gives a disadvantage in horizontal/tilting, even though it is already quite unstable

3 Likes

Yeah I still have one just as a novelty mainly, but performance outside of fingerspins is definitely nothing to get excited about (speaking about original version)

2 Likes

I’m having mixed feelings about the shutter. Its relatively comfortable, plays pretty well, but just doesn’t quite do it for me.

2 Likes

I hesitate to say this, but I’m kind of on the fence with the Shutter too. I really liked it when I first got it (it was the second metal I bought) and every once and a while, I will pick it up and enjoy it…but like @Cannon said, it doesn’t quite do it for me. I’m going to try the Shutter Wide Angle. I think that will be more in tune with my taste.

2 Likes

Shutter Wide Angle is definitely the better of the two.

I feel 2013 Shutter is kinda like the Draupnir. A modern classic that defined future models in many ways, but there are now an obscene number of choices that are just as good, some at significantly less cost with the same quality and different/better aesthetics.

Let me use a chair example. The Herman Miller Aeron is considered an archetypal modern fancy office chair, and it is, but there are better choices even within the Herman Miller line alone at this point. I would not buy an Aeron today, but that does not take away from its place in the pantheon of design.

6 Likes

Except that it is 48mm wide, which is no bueno for someone like me. Makes it axiomatically worse than the original Shutter, in my view.

1 Like

This actually sounds like my experience with the Conspiracy. It’s really smooth and plays well, but something keeps me from being into it much. What’s worse, is I want to like it, lol. The ano is fantastic.

Maybe it’s a little too fast for me or something. I’ll give it a go later and see if my mind has changed. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Did you see the tutorials by “that other yoyo store” where the guy is using the Conspiracy as a responsive in front style tutorials? It makes me want a Conspiracy!

1 Like

It’s interesting how tutorials fill one with the urge to have the yoyo used in the tutorials. I wanted a red DM2 for a while for this very reason!

3 Likes

I would.
I’m that guy.

2 Likes

As a responsive???
Wow, no, I haven’t seen that.
Did he just change out the bearing?

2 Likes

Watching mrmatios tutorials always makes me wish I still had a Sleipnir.

Having a blue Draupnir would be cool too

2 Likes

My mistake! I was confusing Conspiracy with Civility. Sorry!

3 Likes

I couldn’t really think of one one until I saw others post Skyva, and I agree with that.

2 Likes

I honestly haven’t been stoked about any of One Drops drops lately. Like, the last 5 new releases from them haven’t appealed to me in the slightest. Especially this latest colab with Monkeyfinger… The design, the colorways, not for me man.

I tried really hard to like the SK, and it was a fine yoyo for all intents and purposes, but I just couldn’t get into it. I had to sell mine.

Don’t shoot me!

5 Likes

Usually when this happens its super likely that you overhyped the yoyo and set your expectations too high. e.g. your first 100$ yoyo, first bimetal. Just get used to and understand how it plays for a month and then take your opinions.

Also put on some good string and a preferable bearing. Maybe change pads.

2 Likes

Good point.
In my situation, I love the response of the G2’s and OD’s I have, but the Conspiracy it kind of hit and miss, response wise…but I think it’s just me.
I may re-silicone/change pads, and give it several more weeks. I really want to like this throw, lol.

1 Like

Totally agree that trying different combos of bearing type, string, and response can change how you feel about a yo-yo. I think I might never gotten into my Quail if I hadn’t tried a Cloud String on it, now it’s one of my favs!

Maybe I need to try different things on my Shutter - Wide Angle, because that’s my pick for this thread.

3 Likes

So 2018<2017 for OD… Super fine yo-yos from OD in 2017! I’m still interested in the Eclipse and VTWO

3 Likes

On the topic of One Drop, I got a Top Deck (Saturday Market) right after Christmas, and wow.
Really enjoying this one. This is my first non-6061 metal throw and that along with the weight distribution gives it a very unique feel.

I’m thinking it may be sentient, since it seems to have taught me how to hit Magic Drop/shockwave fairly consistently (finally). :joy:

3 Likes