People who don't yoyo.

dudes, you don’t realize, americans actually seem at least aware and educated about yoyoing

in france, 99% of the time I get

“oh look at the mini-diabolo
me: it’s not a diabolo, it’s a yoyo
them: no it’s not, it’s a diabolo
me: it’s my job, actually
them: I can tell what’s a yoyo and this is a diabolo, you don’t know what you’re talking about, yoyos go up and down, this is a mini-diabolo!
me: alright then”

that’s because most americans don’t know what a diabolo is. my friend jasper really wants me to get one, but all the ones that i find online seem cheap.

People don’t really ask me to do any tricks. they just kinda watch me.

yoyo can be seen as an art form, art, by essence, is communication, expression of oneself, if you communicate, then you should expect response and act accordingly.

we should not expect people to be educated or knowledgeable about yoyoing, it’s our job, as a community to educate them.

a good way to start is to show them something they can relate to, something they’re familiar with.
walk the dog, rock the baby are the perfect start.

I doubt any of us ever started yoyoing by learning spirit bomb and I sure had no idea about it whatsoever when I first pick up a yoyo.

I totally agree! But sometimes younger kids will be watching me yoyoing, and say I’m trying to do ladder escape or something, and I screw up; they’ll just say " You stink!" Or something like that and then I watch then yoyo and they can’t even throw a sleeper!!:imp: I get soooo mad when that happens!!!

That is so annoying!!

Some people can learn so much faster than others. I have had friends who can do a bind on their second throw, and friends who it takes a whole day to learn a sleeper. Thomas learned how to do split bottom mount, brain twister and double or nothing in an hour. I was so very surprised!

A part of what I like about yoyo is that it is obscure. I want the hobby to remain small and elusive. Plus, I only know simple tricks so I find people are really impressed when I throw a Double or Nothing. :smiley:

I agree completely. It is a very original hobby.

now this is something I don’t get it.

if something you do, a hobby or anything, significantly improves your own life, why on earth would you then work to keep it away from other people?

yoyoing can change the world if it goes mainstream, because of its philosophy and community and its extremely positive and constructive use of modern communication, social media etc…

why want to keep that away from people who obviously could use something that good and positive?

I don’t think that he means keeping it away from them. Everyone sees a yoyo as a child’s toy, therefore no one used them and anymore and they look at you like your stupid when you tell them you pay $100 for them. People are not perceptible to change. That’s why it’s still exclusive and obscure.

Myself and a friend have been wondering that ourselves. We know there are people out there. I went to Toys R Us(big box toy store all over the country), reported HERE that they had ProZ’s in stock, and literally, the next day, the pegs were stripped except for a few(read: 3). This was from 8 12" pegs FULL to 3 individual units left.

I think learning is better WITH help. I think throwing is more enjoyable around others who share this. But, you can’t force them to come out of the house/closet/whatever. You can even hold big events(such as CalStates, which is near me) and some people still won’t come out.

I will say that I am enjoying this yoyo thing quite a bit. Has it improved my life? In some ways it has. I try to arrange meets. I even throw at my kids’ school while I wait for the teachers to bring them in from their lines.

Yes, the yoyo is a toy. So are many other things. I do sound at sci-fi and anime conventions, and I see all sorts of toys that used to be sold for a few dollars now being sold for big bucks, and being readily purchased by individuals clearly above the intended age target. It’s no different. Well it is but it isn’t.

It’s all cliche. Trends. Maybe someday yoyos will catch on

It’s been over 2500 years. We’re the ultimate hipsters.

Repeat, sorry.

True, but I don’t remember a time when yoyos were aluminum alloy bodies, ceramic/ steel hybrid bearings, silicone response, or nylon strings either :stuck_out_tongue: it has come a long way in 2500 years

and they’re still not popular.

Well that depends on how you look at it. As far as people who don’t yoyo, then no it’s not. If you mean as far as people who like it, it’s very popular. I stand up at lunch and yoyo and every person in there just watches me.

how many other kids do it at your school?

Have you ever seen the older lady on YouTube who is a teacher and bought all her students throws? She’s actually pretty good at throwing as well and she calls herself a grandma which she certainly looks like one but its cool to see. Cause alot of people are always curious about yoyos once they see its something that goes beyond walking the dog and around the world. I’ve had people tell me after seeing me throw that they’re too embarrassed to ask where to get a Yoyo and look for them by themselves but aren’t able to find them. Then they ask and I tell them or sometimes give them one and start teaching them the basics, and telling them about YYE so they can learn the tricks :slight_smile: I think I might start a club for kids tho that’s be pretty cool. I’m not sure how ill get money to buy them al yoyos but ill try

I know this is completely off the current conversation, but I haven’t picked up a yoyo in a few days, kinda sad.