People who don’t like bimetals: why?

Oof guilty of that one. but i least i accepted my comment didn’t answer the original question.

4 Likes

I’d be happy to do a temp. trade with you. You can’t have my swirl hawk though!

I just sent @smileypants707 two of my favorite V’s to try and I think I’ve convinced him that not all V’s are “bad”. If I can change his mind on V’s then perhaps I can change your mind on monos.

6 Likes

TTG for prez 2020

4 Likes

My first post in the thread may have been about theorizing why people don’t like them, but the lack of metal resonance is one thing that I think makes bi-metals feel a bit less “natural” feeling. It is something that I do feel takes away from bi-metals, but not enough to steer me away from actually liking them. I have a few bi-metals in my “top 5”, so I do like them.

Underrated comment right here. I play for fun, so it doesnt matter if the yoyo is geared for long spin times and max stability. I can appreciate a “high performance” yoyo however.

3 Likes

At the heart of this thread is the age old issue of what people get out of yoyoing has a direct bearing on their preferences for different yoyo types. The OP knows this, he said as much himself…

So end of thread, right? (no, that’s not fun you say, because the internet is for arguing)

Ok then…

So what is it? Is it an honest question, why don’t people like bimetals? Or is it rhetorical, and an excuse to hash out this stuff again, where there’s a side that wonders why everyone doesn’t play performance yoyos, and then another side that is more on a soul-surfing tip when it comes to why they yoyo (for fun and relaxation, for example). Both cases are fine, just please neither try to convince the other that everyone should be playing certain types of yoyos to be “correct”, that’s all.

EDIT: not trying to pick on the OP, just this same stuff comes up over and over again.

4 Likes

Sorry if it came across as an excuse to bash on people that don’t like them. I just started yoyoing again within the last half year or so and when I was last around 7 years ago bimetals weren’t really a thing. I’ve gotten a few recently and think they’re all fantastic yo-yos so I honestly wanted to know why people didn’t like them and didn’t know how contentious a topic this would be.

I don’t think the quoted text is contradictory as I’ve seen both arguments made, that some people like it for that feel (which is 100% understandable) and some like it for the control it gives them. If the latter is what people mean when they say feel then you’re right I did contradict myself there, but I tend to think feel describes that nebulous way a yo-yo feels on a string that’s hard to describe, often evoking words like floaty.

So apologies to people who were talking about that control aspect when they said they like how the yo-yo feels. I still think a better way to describe that is responsive to inputs, as I personally think control could be construed as how well the yo-yo lets you do what you’re trying to and not necessarily as being less forgiving of mistakes.

I plan on getting a modern organic at some point to see if I’ll eat my words.

1 Like

I guess my main question could then be simplified to what do you define as control?

That would be helpful as I think it means different things to different people in this context. In my mind I’d say control is the yoyo not getting in the way of the tricks you’re trying to execute. But I can also see the argument for it meaning the yo-yo is more responsive to player inputs and therefore less forgiving of mistakes.

And again I’ll reiterate I was not trying to upset anyone, I thought this would be an interesting topic and can be very black and white in my thinking sometimes, which can come across a little harsher than i intend. The problem is I only realize that based on people’s response to what i say.

2 Likes

I own a few Bi’s and gotten rid of several. My thing is that some of them, feel souless and stupid powerful. Like a robot, in a way. It makes it so much easier to have bad technique as you can just brute force through it. Outside rim weight rings make it much more resistant to tilting, also alosin you to flub through bad technique. Almost like training wheels. Sure its fun to nail a new trick with a powerful Bimetal, but its so much more satisfying to hammer down the same one with a less friendly build. This is exactly why I prefer O’s over V’s.

I like the less stable, less powerful ones in favor of the robot strength spin times and sheer power.

8 Likes

I own 0 bimetals. Tried maybe a dozen or two. Owned some for a day, some for years. It’s not that I dont like them, more that ive found monometals I like better.

2 Likes

I have 19 bi-metals. Some I like as they’re light, nippy and pleasing (Igloo), others I like for their groove (Gorge). Some I dislike, YYR Anomaly (rock), Draupnir (dull), Evora Ti7075 (why bother).

People like and dislike things for a myriad of reasons.

I’m a trash player but I have a rather extensive collection at this point (~200), about 1/4 of which are bimetals. So take this with a mine’s worth of salt with regards to skill but I do think I have some basis of comparison just from the sheer number of throws I’ve touched.

I personally prefer monometals on the whole. I AM NOT SAYING BIMETALS ARE BAD. But I find myself more interested in monometals more often than bimetals.

I think the main issue is that a lot of the bimetals that are hyped up are these really competition-oriented monsters that, up until recently, seem/feel kinda samey—v-shaped, powerful, light. Objectively good traits but not necessarily what I’m looking for all the time. And while the market definitely has some bimetals that break this mold—Grandmaster, Ignition, Turntable 2.0, BiND (all throws I honestly adore)—we still have a lot on the market that fit the established bimetal competition meta that just doesn’t interest me as a filthy casual, especially at bi-metal prices.

Meanwhile, I think that you see a lot more variety in monometal design—and a lot more acceptance of variety (Life, Grail, Snack, etc)—at lower prices and honestly, at similar levels of performance if you’re looking for a competition throw. The Shutter line, ND, VTWO have all shown objectively that monometal design can keep up with bimetal performance at high levels of competition if you look at Gentry, Nate Dailey, and Vilmos’s competition performance these last couple of years. And you’re on average going to be paying less for those vs equivalent bimetals. If bimetals were objectively better, we wouldn’t be seeing Gentry winning Nats with the Shutter WA.

This got a fair bit rambly, my bad, but all this to say that I get why people might prefer bimetals on the whole over monometals. But I think to completely write off either as “bad yoyos” or “overpriced hype machines” isn’t really fair to what’s on the market or the people who prefer one over the other.

7 Likes

Almost all yo-yos are good, except the DV888 which is outright terrible, mostly because it plays like a rock and is a mega outdated design, yet still sold over the counter as a new yo-yo marketed toward new players…

My life’s goal is to get the DV888 replaced by the 888. If you ain’t with me… then you are against me :fist:

6 Likes

Let the new california replace the dv888 :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

5 Likes

That’s a sensible idea.

2 Likes

Replace the Edge Beyond with the DV888

2 Likes

giphy

7 Likes

I’m not partial or impartial to bi-metals in any way. I like some of them. I don’t like some of them. Same with every other yoyo. I don’t think a bimetal is any better than a monometal by default.

I will say however, that my first experience with a bimetal was a bitmetal superstar, and I was not a fan. There was something deceptive about it that I just couldn’t get my head around. It’s like it felt very “weak” for lack of a better word. Like it didn’t have much of a presence, and then you go to bind, and the thing is still spinning like a mad man. It was a disconnect that I wasn’t used to. I stayed away from bimetals for a while after that.

Now that I’ve played with a few more bimetals, I’ve learned to enjoy them for what they are. My only gripe with them is when they feel heavy. I’m already not a huge fan of heavy throws, so I can’t stand heavy bimetals. I think the point of having a bimetal is to capture the performance of a rim-weighted yoyo without needing all the bulky material of a rim weighted yoyo. A bimetal that plays heavily just seems to defeat the purpose imo.

From what I’ve seen, bimetal also seems like a great way to add some extra spunk to undersized and mini throws.

Edit: Admittedly, If I could play with a bimetal superstar again - I’d probably like it now. lol. If you’ve got one to sell or trade, let me know. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I hope we can still be friends, but I just ordered a dv888 the other day. Just had to get that off my chest. :yum:

6 Likes

You definitely didn’t upset me brother, no worries.

It’s apparent that control means different things to different people, so like almost everything in what makes the “best” yoyo, it comes down to preference I guess :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Congratulations. I hate it.

3 Likes