Oxygene Hyperion Thread

What is going on with my hyperion?

Alright today I was playing around responsive with my DM2. I always throw it with my son this way. He’s only 1 and a half so he uses special yoyos. But to make it better for him I do like he does. I throw it towards him rather fast and let it come straight back to my hand. He just loves how I throw it all around him but somehow manage to get it back to my hand. Kids, gotta love em! Easily amused!

Well I picked up my Hyperion after he was finished and he motioned for me to throw it at him. Well, I tossed it underhanded/backward of a regular sleeper straight at him and the next thing I knew the dang thing came right back into my hand. I was dumbfounded but decided ok let’s try this again. Sure enough I could make it come right back to me each and every time I tried to make it spin so fast that the string would just twist around the bearing and catch.

So, I was like huh :triumph: and decided maybe my tension was just too tight and replaced string with a new kitty poly. Well you guessed it, still responsive every time I throw it super hard and emediately give it slack. Bearing is new and just cleaned with acetone and played dry.

Will you all give your Hyperions a super hard throw and see if its actually rather responsive or if I’m having issues or my throw has issues.

Any feedback would be great!

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “underhanded sleeper”, but many, if not most yoyos, will return if you throw them extremely hard and throw some slack in to the gap. If it isn’t returning on normal throws, or even just hard throws without a bind, it should be fine.

Still, you may want to check the response or bearing seat. Clean out any particles you can see. Perhaps try another bearing, and see if it still responds?

I just throw it with palm facing down and snap wrist upwards when throwing like that. Guess opposite of regular throw fits better than underhanded.

Ok I was just curious as I tried to get the same result by throwing the chief the same way but it wouldn’t return like the Hyperion. As long as its normal then ok. It doesn’t affect play in any way since kinda have to feed it some slack in a way for it to return.

Nobody thinks its a tad responsive? The video of Andre describing unresponsive throws where he tugs the yoyo and bounces it up and down would result in a return for me.

My Attune is like this. It might be the bearing. I suspect it is in both our cases.

Yeah my Hyperion is not like that… I’d try swapping out the bearing, if you have a spare metric-sized one, or cleaning it if you don’t. It’s definitely not supposed to return on a tug.

Ok. The terrapin wing cut bearing gave the most responsive action from my testing today. It would produce a return with a tug. Would return immediately from a hard throw straight ahead (dont know name of throw where palm is down and flick wrist upwards).

KonKave center track bearing would produce a responsive action almost every time with flick of wrist throw. Tugging a sleeper was less responsive but could still manage to get a return without binding if popped it up high enough.

KonKave ceramic bearing produced exact same results as the non ceramic.

I can’t repeat this with Ricochet, Chief, Aurora, or DM2.

I just threw mine. Dead unresponsive. Even with an underhand throw. Don’t know what to say here.

When I did first get it it cut the first string at the first steep inward part just past the response pad. It seems to have worn down and stopped doing this after 1 string. Perhaps there is an imperfection in the yoyo that is causing the string to wrap when given slack.

Weird in deed! I noticed that while performing tricks it would catch sometimes but figured it was just me messing up but now have different thoughts. Don’t really know what to think actually as I don’t want to ask about exchanging it unless I truly have a flawed yoyo. If I hadn’t noticed it catching during some tricks then I’d just let it be but since I can actually get it to play responsive rather easily maybe I should make a video to show what’s going on with it.

Hopefully some other owners will give it a try as well. I have to throw it hard for this action to accur but once I get better ill need to throw hard for longer combos so its not like I’m doing anything that it wasn’t designed to handle, so to speak.

I would check and make sure that the bearing seat is not catching the bearing somehow and preventing it from turning. I had that happen to me on a different YoYo, and I found that the bearing seat was precisely cut for one design of bearing only.

If you take your YoYo apart and place the bearing on each of the two halves, does it spin freely on each of them?

It just sounds to me like the bearing is not being allowed to turn for some reason.

Wow! I took each bearing and did spin test with what I thought were “good” and clean bearings on a bearing puller. They didnt seem right and pulled a new unopened yoyojam bearing out of bag to compare. It spun atleast 50% longer than the others and up to twice as fast as the terrapin.

Got acetone out for second cleaning in past two-three weeks and put all three in there. A bunch of gunk came out of the bearings that were shielded after last cleaning. Had no idea they could get that dirty so quickly and turns out either the terrapin is either faulty or junk because it still only spins about half as long as cheaper bearings I have.

All this over dirty bearings that had just been cleaned and one faulty or junk bearing.

Sorry guys but spinning the bearings on each half of the throw showed me how slow they were spinning. I had never tested them since they are all new and have been cleaned.

Also. Someone mentioned metric bearing but all I can find is size C listed for the Hyperion?

I had a similar problem with a terrapin it might need some breaking in and cleaning, also try holding the outer race and sticking a pencil inside the bearing and pushing the balls around this worked for me out of nowhere, it probably has something lodged in it that’s slowing it down. But be sure to clean the bearing again after to get all the loose graphite from the pencil out.

What I normally do is if the bearing won’t spin on my pencil for at least 10s I won’t put it in a yoyo. I don’t really care how much longer it spins on the pencil any more but if it’s at least 10s it should play unresponsive once it’s in a yoyo.

Yeah the terrapin is definitely faulty I’m guessing. I know it has never been able to spin for 10+ seconds. I timed it at 4 seconds maybe just a tad more after reading your post. I’ve cleaned it twice since buying it and used air hose on it tonight with no improvement. If I had known about the ten second test I deffinately would have returned it to YYE when bought it. I now know to test bearings when buy them!

it’s not really an outright test, more of a rule of thumb, but like I said the terrapin either still needs some breaking in or there’s something lodged in it, mine gave me a fair bit of frustration until I finally got it sorted.

like I said try and move those balls around in the bearing to try and dislodge anything.

The terrapin guy is a member here. I forget his name, but he stands behind his products. He’ll probably make it right for you.

The Hyperion uses a C size bearing just like the Oxy Megatron. I have noticed a few sites that stated the Hyperion used metrics…

Nope on the metric. Stock Bearing is C size Genuine KonKave

Yeah. I took a needle and made sure nothing was lodged in there and then hit it with air again. No luck and don’t think there is anything obstructing the balls as I literally ran a needle around each one.

it could be that the response is not flush

Is there anywere I can buy some new silicone response pads for my Hyperion?

The shape looks familiar, reminds me of my Tropic Spins Shipwreck