Ouch. Of yoyos, drawing blood and the yoyo finger tape

As we know, injuries are bound to happen. I got hurt a bit ago. My skin has been dry because I’ve been washing dishes without wearing gloves and using hot water. Anyhow, the skin on my right middle finger, right where the first knuckle is, by the index finger, well, it split a bit. Since it’s in a moving location, it’s hard to heal up. Crap. Oh well. I had this happen before. But, I’ve rested it before, and right now I’ve got good flow and groove going and I see no reason to stop throwing. But, the string keeps rubbing over it and it HURTS. In fact, it was doing OK but the string tore it open a couple of nights ago, effectively negating the healing I allowed to happen.

I bought some of the YYE “yoyo tape” a while ago, mostly with the expectation of helping the kids. It’s never been used until now. I was at my first “yoyo meet” today and I needed to use the tape so I could fully enjoy myself. Interesting stuff. I tears off the roll easily. It only sticks to itself. I was able to start throwing full strength again with no painful rubbing. I also was throwing my Phenom and I did a bad bind, got a knot and bashed the crap out of my 2nd knuckle of my left hand, drawing blood. OUCH! Well, let’s pop some tape on there and keep things nice and neat. Pulls off cleanly, no pain, no problem!

So, just a suggestion to all: First, consider a decent hand lotion. Moisture is your friend. Second, be prepared for the unexpected. Third, and most important for me: Don’t suck! I’m just saying mostly that this tape has other uses.’

Oh, and a tube of neosporin works great too!

What about Nu-Skin… the liquid bandage stuff? Think that might help?

I’ve thought of trying prewrap and tape…

C’mon! Tough it out!! I have cracks on my hands to the point where there’s blood on my string.

1 Like

That happened to me once:) Now I just have a awesome callus

Yeah I yoyo till I cut myself but I want to have something to put on it so I can continue.

I have. There’s blood on a lot of strings right now. My main issue is to STOP the one area from constantly ripping back open.

If I had money right now, the Liquid Skin sounds like a nice option. However, a client of mine has chosen to not pay on time(they are 18+ days late on Net45 in the rear terms, as in they pay AFTER and then supposedly at 45 days later, of which they are an additional 18+ days over the 45 net terms), so no money right now.

Anyhow, it’s a nuisance. But I have bigger aches and pains that I have to deal with in daily life. I did a show where I could barely walk due to back injuries. Yet, I never stopped moving heavy gear in and out of the truck, running cable, lights, sound and getting dirty getting the job done. Even the cast of the show noticed! The entire cast and crew was able to rally around my commitment and pulled together and helped get stuff done.

The liquid skin stuff doesn’t help at all, all it really does is put a thin layer of, well i dont really know what to compare it to, but anything you would feel with out it you will feel with it, and there will be no dulling of the pain either using it. If you want to use something like the liquid skin use super glue, thats what they use in the medical field. It will keep it closed much better allowing it to heal and should help provide some relief of the pain as the layer of super glue is thicker than that of the liquid skin.

Yeah I was playing with my northstar the other day, and it decided it wanted to become a counterattack so it bashed my left middle finger. I put a thin bandage on it and then put on a duncan yoyo glove and I could play as good as ever, if not better than ever :slight_smile:

I am a bowler and can attest to the power of nu-skin. Works for that, although I have never tried it for yoyoing. When my fingers get too bad, I just stop for a few days.

im surprised nuskin worked for bowling. The only thing i find it useful for is if there is a cut where there wont be any rub or something

Put lotion on every three hours, or whenever your hands start to get dry.

Helped me a TON

Asked my wife to get some hand lotion. She says she’ll get some tomorrow.

That’s NOT a good sign… Because when tomorrow arrives, it’s TODAY. Tomorrow never comes!

Right now i have the time to practice. I don’t want to waste it! I’ll focus more on 5A and 4A then to give my finger a rest from 1A. If I get bored, I’ll try to learn left handed play. But I just learned some new 1A tricks and I want to get better at them!

I’ve been playing alot of 5A recently and on the side of my right index finger, right on the first knuckle it split. It hurts so bad, and if I play 5A the string just slips right in there and it makes me want to shout profanities and what not… So I’ve switched to 4A for the time being…

It’s good to have yoyos in different styles so you can mix it up. Me too. However, I’m stuck indoors most of the day, so I think 5A will be better for me over 4A. Less issues with bad throws!

Whenever I’ve had pain in the finger, I just tried doing the same tricks with my 5a throw for a while… I’ve often wondered if the tape works, but it’s such a convenient excuse to try to learn tricks with my freehand yoyo, now I’m starting to actually learn some 5a, which is fun, so I’m ok with it

I started messing around with some 4A and 5A stuff a couple of weeks ago. Nothing major, just needed to break it up. The finger thing happened later.

But, it’s nice having all these yoyos around. Options are nice. I’ve got loopers too so I can’t wait to learn some looping tricks too. Of course, I need to learn basic looping.

BTW: Finger healing somewhat nicely. Still nasty. I trimmed the dead skin off last night and now I can see new skin growing Did some throwing without tape today and while it was a big rough, it wasn’t so bad. Much more tolerable than before AND it’s not tearing things open.

4a string burn ate right through my skin in 4 places! i stuck to it like a champ!

I’ve had pretty good luck with the nu-skin, 3 layers. Though next time I place a yye order I’m going to try the tape

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

when this happens, I stop yoyoing and start diabolo.

1 Like