Opinion: What’s the best One Drop yo-yo for a beginner/intermediate thrower

I’d also throw a burnside 20/20 in there

So I picked up a Intro and Nitro, currently LOVING the Intro. The Nitro feels great too but faster and lighter so I’m going to put it aside for a little bit while getting dialed in and learning more tricks with the Intro. Both feel AMAZING in hand and spin incredibly. I’m going to try and score a Rebirth tomorrow if I can get lucky for some comparison and different shape.

4 Likes

Us newer folk got spoiled with all these centering options. I still like using concaves for performance driven throws, but the OD flats are so dang smooth and quiet. I also learned to appreciate that they don’t let you get too sloppy.

2 Likes

I picked up a concave bearing but I think I’m going to stick to flat for now to try and not get sloppy or reliant on the concave right away. But I honestly don’t know enough to know if that matters or not. But oh my god do these yo-yo feel incredible.

2 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

1 Like

Any bearing other that the one drop ten balls in my rebirths have caused vibe. One drops can be funny like that sometimes

1 Like

What are ULs?

1 Like

I’d probably just get whatever is in stock here right now or coming soon (Rebirth I think is soon/next iirc from OD’s insta). Personal favorites are Free Solo and Lunar Eclipse, but this thread has lots of info:

1 Like

1 Like

The old burnside is what I learned on 10 years ago. They came out with a updated version not to long ago. Wish I would snagged one up. I also have a rebirth and that’s a great begginer yoyo like everyone is saying. Just a good yoyo period.

5 Likes

I just purchased an Overture. Since this post is fresh and talking about Onedrops, can someone that’s played it give me the skinny. I really want a Peak but it’s too pricey so I bought a Creep to scratch the itch. I had to sell my Creep and bought the Overture for cheap in hopes that it’ll scratch that Peak itch as well.

And to keep it on topic, I am an intermediate player at best, lol.

1 Like

Thanks for the breakdown, would you recommend picking up different side effects to get different feels on the same yo-yo?

1 Like

SE being released tomorrow at 11est along with rebirth, flat caps and some others

1 Like

I have an Overture and a Peak and I wouldn’t blink if someone told me the Overture was supposed to be like a modernized Peak. The profile is very similar but the walls are not as high so it plays more stable. Because the Overture is larger for its weight (vs the Peak) it is floaty but it also feels lighter than the Peak (which some might say feels like a rock on the string). So I imagine that the Overture is like a Peak that has been updated to more modern spec: larger and lighter for its size and more stable. It certainly scratches the Peak itch more than the Creep, IMO (though I did like the Creep a lot).

3 Likes

Oh God bless you, I can’t wait. The Creep was very nice, and to hear this is a bit better in replacing the Peak is music to my ears.

2 Likes

I just got a Rebirth yesterday (been on a yoyo buying spree lately) and my first impression was that it felt really natural on the string. Not too heavy or too light. So I agree, not a rock. Felt boring at first but then I was really enjoying it. Plays with a nice speed and feels very “in the pocket”.

2 Likes

I think you’ll enjoy the Overture for sure! But as these things go, it will probably take a bit of throwing time to determine if it’s a keeper for you. Either way, I look forward to your impressions of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a really good description of the Rebirth, and exactly how it felt to me. Despite the 66 grams, it doesn’t feel heavy to me.

3 Likes

The centering bearings will definitely help with stability on the string.

As much as I love the OD bearings (something like a MCMO isn’t a MCMO with a centering bearing), id still highly recommend putting a centering bearing in most of the yoyos mentioned here if the intent is beginner/intermediate learning. Lower walled yoyos take the most advantage of centering bearings and you will see a night and day difference between something like a VTWO with a flat vs a centering bearing.

2 Likes