One Drop Love!

I just looked up that thread for the OD Prescription looks cool I’ll keep a look out! Thanks!

My humble collection of One Drops and yoyos machined by One Drop. The MarkMont Classic was signed by Mark at NER this year.

The bottom two are the Yoyo Community Spectrum and Remix.

1 Like

YYC throws are legit. I have a Tangent. Good yoyo.

I thought about the Tangent, but didn’t buy fast enough. The Spectrum is great, but the Remix is just a little better. My opinion is the Remix is a yoyo that would be very hard to improve on.

I thought about the Tangent, but didn’t buy fast enough. The Spectrum is great, but the Remix is just a little better. My opinion is the Remix is a yoyo that would be very hard to improve on.

I’d love to find a Spectrum SE, but that’s probably unlikely.

It occurred to me that perhaps the pads being brand new was party responsible for my Gauntlet being grabby on those backspin elements. Since I’ve gotten some time in on it, I decided to give the 10-ball another try.

At least with an Angle String, it’s no longer slowing down on those elements. I really wanted to experience the Gauntlet as it comes from OD, and so far I’m liking it. It seems it’s a tad less stable, because the string can go to one side or the other. On the flip side, it seems more fluid. There’s something more “alive” about the way it plays. That’s my impression anyway, at my skill level.

Really enjoying this yoyo, hope to be able to get another OD soon!

Hoping to get either a Benchmark W or a Prescription soon. LOVE my Marquis. It goes with me just about everywhere so I can throw between classes. Definitely has me sold on One Drop as a favorite brand.

Haven’t played the new Benchmarks, but the Prescription is AMAZING!

True true! Our pads are pretty grabby at first, they super fresh! It’s an entire process breaking in the pads as well as the 10Ball. The journey might be scary and frustration, but once you get through it all, you’ll be standing on the top of the world. The beauty of playing with an OD is being by it’s side as it goes through it’s breaking in phase.

Glad you’re enjoying the Gauntlet! Appreciate the post!

1 Like

I had to over lube my 10ball to break it in, and after the lube wore off, man oh man, amazing!

I’ve got a few that I over lube, and keep them that way ;D I’ve got a Kuntosh, Markmont Classic & Rebirth all with a 10ball and lubed with Brain Lube. Lots of fun.

1 Like

I think you are on to something there!!! I enjoy that too!

How do the nickle plated ones grind?

Also, seems like most ODs don’t have an IGR. Is that correct? If yes, is it just something you don’t feel is important, or does it seem to add a design constraint? For instance, does it limit some other aspects of how you would like to distribute weight?

Excellent question. IGRs have fallen out of favor to some degree so that opened up the freedom to design without them. They do indeed add some limitations and it really helps to not have one in some cases.

1 Like

True dat. Most folks don’t really do thumb grinds anymore, so they’re largely irrelevant at this point.

Also, Myk_Myk - nickel isn’t the best surface for grinds in general, but it sure looks slick. And I love how it tarnishes the more you use it. You can always polish it up to make it look new again, but the tarnish makes it feel like it’s been places with you, like a good pair of broken in bluejeans.

2 Likes

If you want a nickel plated yoyo that’ll grind well try the Markmont Classic, Prescription and Rebirth.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers! I have yoyos that can grind well and have IGRs, so it’s not important that every yoyo I buy has all those features. I was mostly just curious.

I have the Gauntlet, and I’ve read the Markmont Classic is similar. I does gave an IGR, though, right!? I’m sure all of Aaron’s recommendations are excellent, but I was mostly considering the Top Deck. Seems it keeps getting spoken of so highly.

Before I got the Gauntlet, I was mostly interested in the Downbeat. No nickel, though…?

Yeah there was a Nickel Downbeat, 98% sure. I’m pretty sure that One Drop has done all of their yoyos in nickel, it’s usually a first run thing outside of the Markmont series. So they’re usually limited a bit.

1 Like

This baby grinds pretty good!!