One Drop Flat Bearings Are Outdated: Change My Mind

Concave beer cans would hold less beer for the same height and diameter of can. Increase either dimension, and a flat cylinder will still always hold more beer, making it the superior container.

3 Likes

I’m feeling that this direction change is an improvement :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Just make them a little taller? Or wider? I actually like the ones with a finger centering groove in the middle; grip it with my index and thumb only. Impossible to spill those badboys! So much more stability in hand.

Well, like I said, if you increase either (or both) dimension, the flat cylinder still wins because it holds more beer. And ultimately, the purpose of a beer can is to hold as much beer as it can (and keep it fresh).

1 Like

Yeah, but flat cylinders are sooo unstable in hand. It basically ruins my beer holding experience. Unless I consciously remember to hold it correctly, it falls right out of my hand. :-1:

I prefer to hold my beer cans as mindlessly as possible.

4 Likes

Get one of those stylish beer-can holding hats, with the tubes that feed into your mouth. Doesn’t get any more effortless than that.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I like the control of holding one in hand. You don’t have near the same level of control with the hat.

1 Like

Unless you plan to do something other than drink the beer, what control do you need? Sucking from a tube delivers the beer with less effort than using your hands/arms, no control necessary.

2 Likes

Idk man, I think I just have a mental block about it. Flat cylindrical cans make it exponentially harder to control my can holding experience, I just know it does.

And what’s worse, is my favorite micro brew company only ships their beer in traditional cans :frowning_face:

2 Likes

@da5id @smileypants707 tbh @andy569 and i just wanted to flex a nice combo on a flat bearing on y’all :joy:

Of course, i’m kidding.

But it would be interesting to see something like “Let’s see who can do the most with a flat bearing” or a “no centering bearings allowed here” thread with tricks with just flat bearings.

4 Likes

I guess I’m flattered at the volume in this thread, but will it ever stop? hahaha

12 Likes

Dude, take the lead! haha, I’d participate :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I wonder who the best fairly active member on these forums is :thinking:

Excluding Colin of course if you consider him fairly active

1 Like

As a matter of fact I do this to ever beer I drink!! And yes it makes it a loooot easier to hold lol, especially when you’re a few in! I’d recommend y’all try it! Oh and it also helps identify your beer when there are several other open cans around! All around nothing but better drinking with konkave cans :joy:

7 Likes

Word. My one drops are the second smoothiest (das right…Smoooothiest) yoyo’s I own.

1 Like

I find that when you play with a flat it allows you to feel the play characteristics of the yoyo like the weight distribution and wall height much more. Some yoyos are so stable you might not even “need” them to up the performance. For example my par avion is so stable even with a flat, where other yoyos are crazy unstable with flats. But I think the whole point of the flat bearing to me at least is to turn those unstable yoyos into stable ones by centering your string from the start to end of your throw. :slight_smile: i find that when I use a ct in those unstable yoyos it just makes them “easier” to play with, not neccasarily better. just my stance on it. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

9 Likes

Aaagggrrrreeeedddddddd

Flat bearings are a VERY good way to discern how good of a design the yoyo ‘actually’ is. If you throw a flat bearing into a throw and can see an overly significant drop in stability and spin time, then the design is definitely not as good as a throw that can still jam well on flat. People skip over this factoid ‘all’ the time.

18 Likes

Facts is facts :fist:

4 Likes

I’m curious if some of you are getting some kind of placebo effect with centering bearings. Perhaps you’re so convinced that it makes a difference or that it’s helping you, that it does in fact make a difference and help you. :thinking:

I wouldn’t call a flat bearing outdated, that’s a bit extreme. Would I say that centering bearings generally outperform flat bearings? Yeah, I’d probably give you that. Do I think that this difference in performance is significant enough to effect play in any meaningful way outside of the realm of “feel”? Probably not. lol.

You can throw the same yoyo with a flat and a centering bearing and run experiments all day to compare things like tilt, precession, vibe, etc., but I feel the same way about this as I do about throwing yoyos to clock their spin times… it’s all interesting and fun to know, but in practice, when you’re actually playing, it doesn’t really make much of a difference.

Theoretically, I can clock a spin on one yoyo that lasts 8 minutes, and then clock a spin on another yoyo that only lasts 5 minutes, and then I can turn around and throw the same exact 1-minute combo on both of them. I’d reckon that I wouldn’t even have to be more careful or clean or pay any extra attention on the yoyo that only spun for 5 minutes either. The same goes for flats vs centering.

In my experience, when I cared to pay enough attention, centering bearings have actually been more detrimental than helpful. Particularly when dealing with multiple string wraps, I’ve found that centering bearings bunch string together and creating more snagging. But this is so minuscule and happens so rarely, it doesn’t bother me any. I rarely even pay attention to what’s in a throw unless a bearing goes bad, and I’m in need of a new one.

In practice, I just don’t think these types of differences matter much. To each their own though! If you’re having fun and you like the way your throws play with a certain setup, then throw ‘em that way. :man_shrugging:t2::ok_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Did you see this?

And this?

If you think I played differently with flat because of a placebo effect let me know.

3 Likes