One Drop Flat Bearings Are Outdated: Change My Mind

The One Drop 10 ball 5 pack here at YYE is a great deal. Nice to have extras on hand, just swap them out when they need cleaning and clean as several at once instead of cleaning one at a time;

2 Likes

I prefer KK bearings to all others. I’ve stated that. I’m curious though how many people buy a One Drop yoyo and use the 10 ball that comes with it or switch out for another bearing. I’m going to make a poll.

2 Likes

Generally for an OD throw (or any throw that ships with a flat) I’ll leave it in… may try it with a kk tho and if I like it better that way, ill keep it. Case and point I like all the ODs how they are shipped, except I found that the SK was a better fit with a kk

RESPECT my mannnnnnn

1 Like

The number one thing that irritates the crap out of me the most with this topic, is when very very very subjective opinions and details about either bearing type are expressed as ‘facts’. Or when ones preference is stated or phrased as if it’s the most popular opinion…when it’s not.

7 Likes

Thanks bro :facepunch:

1 Like

I thought, why not bring some actual yoyo playing into this discussion, so i present you:

Flat Bearing vs Centering Bearing || Trick test #1

Conclusions so far:

• Observing both bearings performance, the differences in play are so negligible that they make no difference at all in vertical plane, 0 to 20 second combos.

Opinions on this? Any more ideas for factors to test? Would you rather not see any more related to this topic? lol

15 Likes

BlankResponsibleBarbet-size_restricted

6 Likes

Can’t really tell by watching which one I’m using between the 2 videos from me either. Used a Recess First Base

I’m a pretty trash player tho so I definitely felt a little difference in the stability between the flat and KK. ESPECIALLY towards the end because the flats spin was starting to slow down, KK was still goin strong.

But yeah, you can’t tell the difference by watching.

If I do a longer combo or horizontal(which I might just record right now), you def will see the difference because on the flat the yoyo will be dead at the same point in a combo where the KK is still goin.

8 Likes

If you could provide some horizontal comparison, that would be nice.

Being honest, Yeah, you do feel some spin lacking, but it’s just small enough for it to be barely noticeable. If i focus hard on mantaining perfect plane on the trick, then the spin loss disappears, but that takes a toll on a small portion of the muscle memory you have for the trick.

4 Likes

Horizontal on an organic, a plastic, AND a flat bearing oh boi tall task. I’ll do my best :joy:

Maybe just a gerbil combo

EDIT: to be clear first segment was flat, 2nd segment was centering, they were not both flat

Yeah I can try to be more clean to prolong the combo on a flat.

But I can also do the same thing with a centering. If I focus more I get more out of it.

I took over 5 takes on the flat because I wanted to make sure I wasn’t slowing the yoyo down by minor touches on my skin or little snags but that was consistently about as far as I could get. On the centering I took 2 takes, only because I flubbed the trick first take

7 Likes

Exactly what i was thinking. This is what makes this so difficult. You can always force yourself to be more precise with you plane control.

3 Likes

Yeah but like if I had that same amount of intense focus with a centering bearing I’m gonna get longer spin times too so like :man_shrugging:

Anyways here’s the horizontal

You can’t really tell by watching but a yoyo is unstable through horizontal when it constantly shifts it’s plane slightly throughout a combo and that happens a lot more with the flat than the centering. And of course, less spin time.

I know someone’s gonna say it so I’m gonna say it myself. “It’s not the bearing it’s the player” Yeah if I was better I could’ve pulled all of that off. That’s true. Im sorry to my flat lovers for being bad.

But I will say that I’m fairly confident even if I was better the limits would be higher but I would still not be able to get the same spin times on a flat as I would a centering

4 Likes

I just switched to an Overdrive Draupnir after playing with the first base with a flat for a little longer and

Ohhh my god. That’s a nut :drooling_face:

3 Likes

I would consider getting an Overdrive Draup if I could get the purple one…

1 Like

I like that this is shifting into less of a circular debate, and more of a “hold my beer”.

15 Likes

Come on man, y’all are the ones that wanted more proof :joy:

Are there concave beer cans? That might make it easier to hold them.

8 Likes

Classic beer cans are outdated: change my mind. Concave beer cans FTW!!

3 Likes