One Drop 555 Pads

Okay, I’m finally wearing through my stash of onedrop 555 pads. I love the feel of these pads and sadly, it seems that one drop doesn’t manufacture them anymore (I haven’t been around much lately). Can anybody refer me to a comparable modern silicone pad that plays as well? I have a load of kentaro pads and some old crucial sili pads but they are sooo thick in comparison. I imagine the thin gen pads by generalyo might do, but they seem like they could be “grippyer”. Are the duncan sili pads as thin? Do they play well? Also interested in these ir pads… Can anybody compare them to the old onedrop 555 pads?

1 Like

ir pads are like the king of all silicone pads but sadly they sell out really quick.

Just get some Flowable silicone. -_- all this “will they feel the same” to much worry over response.

2 Likes

Too thin. You need pads.

The recess isn’t deep enough. It wasn’t long ago when many, many yoyos couldn’t accept flowable, particularly the .555 response system.

Duncan silicone pads are .555 sized. They’re darn cheap and play great. Pick some of those up.

You want a “Silicone Sticker 13.7mm (8 pack)”.

4 Likes

Yes, I use rtv gasket maker whenever possible. I’m all for eliminating variables when I do anything skill-related. But it just seems that everywhere, all at once and while I’ve been offline, old school friction stickers have become the bane of modern yo yo playing and been strangely replaced by silicone groove stickers of all makes and models… This strikes me as odd as the most obvious advantage of a deep groove for response is that you don’t have to buy stickers at all :stuck_out_tongue: . I’d hate to have to break out the Kentaro pads…

COOL.   :smiley:  Good ol’ duncan… always lookin out for those of us who play behind the times- I need break pads anyway.  I didn’t notice the different options in the dropdown menu when I first looked at that page.  I just thought I was looking at a page of og friction stickers. Hey,  I appreciate the help!

I recently found this OD M1 and it has the old 555 pads and they are wearing out. Are the Duncan friction stickers or SG stickers good substitutes? Or is there something better?

3 Likes

SG stickers won’t fit, they’re meant for the 19mm “slim” CBC pad size that has kind of become the standard for size C bearings.

Duncan Friction Stickers are meant for small bearings as far as I’m aware so I think their inner diameter might not fit properly.

I was going to suggest 555 diff pads (not sure on thickness, they come in 0.15" and 0.30") but they seem to be out of stock. they were out of stock last I checked but seem to have some now.

There are General Yo pads in stock in the 555 size, but I’m not sure how thick they are / how they’d fit in the M1. the Hat pads might also work but I’m not sure about that:

You could try making your own “baz/chaz pads” with some plastidip and naptha:

If I could find a way to consistently cut pads to the 555 size (without, yknow, using scissors for individual pads) like via a custom punch or something, I’d consider making a bunch and offering them up at cost.

2 Likes

Type 555 into the YYE search bar on the store

There looks to be some smooth Hats and Difs in stock

1 Like

I ordered two types plus the OD pads I ordered earlier this week before I realized that they were different. That’s ok I’ll be stocked up.

Above is old, below is new.
Got the pads that fit today. Just installed the Dif-E-Yo pads. They were very slick at first but seem to be grabbing a bit better after 10 minutes of playing.
I also got some of the General Yo pads which are textured and feel pretty grippy to the touch.
Sadly both feel nothing like OD pads.

3 Likes

2nd attempt barely grabbed. I had to have a longer tail and my binds had to be very precise or it wouldn’t bind.
3rd Attempt. Too grippy. I’m the Goldilocks of 555 pads.
Ordered 4th and last set of pads. If this set doesn’t work I’m getting rid of this thing.

One thing to keep in mind is that pads have to break in, they may get where you like them after some play, even ones that are too slippery at first. When you wear through the new surface they change in how they bind.

1 Like

Maybe it doesn’t work for your play, but I just used silicone in my M1 cut for 555. I’ve probably got 20 hours or more on these and they are still working fine.

4 Likes

How long do you think it should take to brake in? I think I had about two hours of trying to get a tight bind on the slippery Dif E Yo pads I had. They improved slightly after a short period of time but never got good binds. They felt like bicycle inner tubes to the touch.

Is there a particular kind or brand that works best?

The permatex they sell here on YYE is what I like to use.

2 Likes

Should have guessed they have it.
Thank you

1 Like

You bet. I let the silicone dry a couple days before I use the yoyo and it works pretty well.

1 Like