One Drop 555 Pads

Just get a broad pad and stick it on … although there are some gaps but it still works fine … I’ve used those pads for some time as well … I’ve tried ghost pads before as well … many options to buy for 555 even without one drop manufacturing them…

1 Like

I’m so glad 555 became obsolete. It was originally the G5 pad size (where the name came from) then used in first run genesis. I think it’s 21mm od if so, that’s cbc broad pad but I can’t confirm fit for every model

2 Likes

I think the Dif-e-yo 555 thin pads will do you just fine. I know how you feel I tried silicone on my project and it just isn’t right. I’ve got a few of these coming in and keeping my fingers crossed. I got the .015 (which are considered the “thin” ones) rather than the .030…fingers crossed.

3 Likes

I have some chaz pads that I think work pretty well. I would recommend them over diff or hat pads.

4 Likes

4th attempt too thick. They are thicker but just barely noticeable. You have to look at it at the right angle to see it. But if the string makes contact because the yo-yo is slightly tilted I can feel the drag and the spin time is down to nothing. And can be responsive when it wants.:-1:
They were better feeling. But not close enough. The Goldilocks 555 pad saga continues…
Attempt 5?
Thanks for all the feedback too. Luckily these are cheap and It’s a good excuse to order other stuff along with them. Like Fluid 3D printing spacer kit. I have a few possible ideas for that.:yo-yo:

1 Like

Let me know how they are.

OD pads were the best, but since you can’t get them anymore… try one diff and one general yo
This combination seems to work best for me

2 Likes

I used dif-e-yo 555 .015 pads on one side and siliconed the other and it works great!

1 Like

Voksrob, I find the thing that works best - others have mentioned this too- is a dif pad on one side and some other pad (I used to use Kentaro pads but they would get disgusting pretty quick) on the other side for grip. I play my buzz-ons in this configuration and it works pretty well. Oh, and NEVER change the dif pad. The gap on these old OD throws is nice and tight so you want something that grabs solidly, but then practically nothing on the other side. Think of it this way- the modern pads are more thick than the old od pads and so you have to offset that thickness on one side with something less-than-grippy- on the other. I threw an Og project with just one sticker for a while (maybe a hat pad) but I could never get the binds to work reliably. I suppose you could try “shaving” the sticker to the recess point.

I’m intrigued at folks saying they use silicone. I could never get flowable silicone to work on this particular pad recess… I’d be curious if there were any trick to get it to work. Keep in mind the different silicones play differently. My favorite is the red RTF gasket maker you can get from any autoparts store. The clear stuff is a little harder when it dries and i find it lasts a little longer, but the rtf breaks in faster and plays a little smoother imo…

2 Likes

5th times the charm(ish)?
I found something I could live with finally.
YYF white 21mm OD

They aren’t as soft and smooth as the originals, but they are better than all the others I have bought. Definitely good enough to be back in my pocket.
Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

5 Likes