Old enough

I have heard it said that throwers come in all ages. I’m fairly new to this hobby. I’m 66. Anyone else a bit older?

27 Likes

I’m not even half as old as you. Welcome to the world of yoyoing!
Please tell us more about you. How did you find out this hobby and what got you interested?

10 Likes

I’m in my 50s and hoping to be able to continue to learn new tricks. I’m better than I was when I was in my 20s but I didn’t pick up a yoyo in about 20 years until recently.

14 Likes

I’m kinda the same as @Lido. I had a few yoyos as a kid back in the late '70s but never got past a few simple tricks. Picked it up again three years ago after seeing Evan Nagao’s winning Nats freestyle, and have been a little obsessed ever since. I turned 56 earlier this month and I like to think there’s no such thing as too old if you find you have a passion for it.

25 Likes

I’m in my mid 30’s and played with a yoyo in my highschool days, nothing serious. Rock the baby, around the world , that’s about it. Lol picked it up and really took it in last year. What made me say “Oh Yeah”, was Shu Takada’s spiderman clip he posted. That blew my mind. Haha. Welcome Welcome Welcome!!!

11 Likes

I just turned 36 and have been throwing unresponsive for about two years now. I was also part of the 90’s yo-yo boom so I knew how to throw a decent sleeper and do a few tricks already. I got hooked after seeing the One Drop Nationals 2018 documentary.

14 Likes

I’m 56. I feel like yoyoing, especially trying to learn new tricks and elements, helps me keep my brain healthy.

24 Likes

I’m 45. I threw back in the late 90 to early 2002 then sort of nothing… came back and fell into the rabbit hole we call a hobby 3 years ago. I gifted my dad a few yoyos he’s 75 and enjoys throwing a bit thought i doubt he’ll ever care to learn any actually tricks.

15 Likes

I’ll be 55 in July.

16 Likes

Same.

4 Likes

Yes. :wink:

11 Likes

I’m not older than you now but I will be in a couple years?

9 Likes

I’m new and will be turning 50 next month.

giphy

25 Likes

I played with yoyos when I was a kid. However I was lucky if I could get it just up and down. Here in Idaho Falls, we have a toy store that specializes in skill toys. Of course yoyos are the first thing you see when you walk through the front door. I started to relearn the basics, I have a couple of favorite yoyos now and I’m getting back into this hobby/sport… whenever you want to call it. I love it.

14 Likes

Yup - I’m the same age group. Been throwing since I was a kid but put it down for a year or so every now and then but it’s always been with me.

I learn new tricks every now and then though I prefer to find my own.

I have early signs of Dupuytren’s contracture so that would be a real bummer if it gets bad…

9 Likes

I think, if you are still able to tie a string onto your finger and throw a yoyo all by yourself - you are not “old for yoyo” at all. I am maybe not at all old man (only 33), but i hope to be able be interested in yoyos even in your respected age good sir :smiley:

10 Likes

Get off my lawn, damn YoYo hooligans.

17 Likes

Can you post some pics of this shop? I would love to see their yoyo display!

4 Likes

67 here. First started the yoyo thing back in the very early 60s when Duncan was all over the place. Loved my old red Imperial. Got back into it in the 90s for a couple years, when ball bearing yoyos were a new thing. Had two Silver Bullets - wooden axle and bearing. Got back to yoyos again in 2020, which kept me (mostly) sane not only through the pandemic, but also while my right wrist was in a cast for almost 3 months. Couldn’t play guitar or mandolin, couldn’t cast a fishing rod, but I could throw a yoyo left-handed. God bless my young granddaughter who discovered one of my old yoyos last year and inadvertently got be back to throwing. Yoyos have come a LONG way since ‘back then.’

18 Likes

Hey Rick! I’m just like you 67 and been throwing for 60 years or so……
We are the old guard here on this forum…
The Rock

15 Likes