"Official" Noob 1A Contest/Battle Video Submissions

+1

In my other vid, I had my brother in the background, playing his computer without pants… I decided not to show that one… haha

edit:

my mock vote (not including me) is:

1. Dynikus (though tbh, His tricks were kinda… over the level hehe.)
  2. Nicholi2789 (You did a little expert tricks, but it was pretty cool to watch. I did do skin the gerbil too XD)
  3. Kinda tough. DBYoyoer started in the middle of his combo, which wasn’t very nice. He was fast thoguh.
  4. (yeah 2 thirds) GMana (he did some neat tricks, and his facial was hilarious. (no offense)
  5. TMCertified (THe kid was the best part. I thought you were gonna hit him. You did the tricks well, but you were a bit far from the camera)
  6. Kipp556 (like everyone else, I had no idea what you were doing. SOrry)

I think the next one I do I’m going to video outside or with my lap top instead of the iMac. It was a little dark in there and not as clear as a lot of the other videos. I mean heck, the phone by Nicholi kicked my iMac’s computer’s butt in clarity! I agree with moving closer next time. I wasn’t sure on how to approach it because of my tricks. I did a thing after the mach 5 that I did a few finger rolls and threw it way out to the side and bring it back around to a trapeze then I do that around the world in-between my double or nothing and then two eli hops. And you still couldn’t really see those three tricks even though you get the idea. then of course I couldn’t help but throw the tower in there towards the end so I came up with that view being the best for everything I was trying to do. I’ll try to watch other videos and see how i can work it up better.

Yeah, try moving closer to the camera haha. Even if some of the stuff like the finger rolls to throw out to trapeze, where if you were closer you couldn’t see the throw out well, if we could see the tricks better it would be way cool and easier to see. And I suggest working on speed. Your tricks were precise, but kinda slow.

Yeah I shouldn’t have trimmed the throw on my dad’s iphone, but it wasn’t in the middle of my combo even though it looks like it. Oh well i will learn from my mistakes and hopefully in the next battle (if i decide to do it) there won’t be many mistakes filming wise.

Dw man. There will be contest after this one yaknow. I also wish I didn’t mess up so much. And I would have thrown in suicides if O can get away with it haha

Just to let you all know. I am watching and I will be voting. I’m going to need to view these several times as a first impression gives me a fast once-over. Now that I’ve seen it all, I can sleep on it and think about it. Now that the “surprise element” is gone, I can go and really evaluate each based on age and experience.

All I can say is based on what I see, I’m way, way, WAY behind. But, considering I’m redoing lighting for 2 major shows coming up soon(a month) and if I’m lucky, I’m “allowed” an hour total a week to practice. I can’t get any combos yet. I do the trick and bring it back and even then, I still miss a lot.

I’ll try to put my vote in on the 7th but I can’t promise anything. I will try!

(I’m also scouring BST in 2 other forums for a few choice items)

1.Swatnoodle
2.TMCertified
3.Nicholi2789
4.GMana
5.DBYoyoer
6.Dynikus
7.Kipp556

Reasons for placements

1. Perfect for this competition. Nothing that seemed over the level and just well done.
  2. Entertaining. For your age and time thrown I think you’ve earned this spot, seems like the older you get the slower your progress but you might have broken that stereotype!
  3. did well, just think others pulled it off better.
    4-5: Very close! GMana pulled ahead because DBYoyoer started in the middle. Although i must say DB was impressive to watch! Maybe too impressive… :smiley:
  4. Has 3-4 months extra experience on everyone and seemed to be on a different level :stuck_out_tongue:
  5. Hard to really see buddy, SORRY! Try using your brightest string next time :slight_smile:

Was fun to watch every single persons 1 Minute and everyone did very well! Sorry it took awhile for the post but still working night shift (reason i didn’t compete) so i had to review them all and post at this late hour! Thanks for throwing everyone!

1. Swatnoodle
  2. Gmana
  3. Nicholi2789
  4. DByoyoer( I think you’re trying to hard to be fast and it seemed like there are tricks that are not well)
  5. TMCertified
  6. Dynikus
  7. Kipp556

It is really hard to decide, but this is my vote

Thanks guys you were all great. I was just wondering why have rules if when people break them nothing happens? I also know expert tricks but the rules say no expert tricks. just wondering…

Samething occured to me…

I can’t tell what trick is what. I’m looking at what I see and then factoring time and age into the equation. This isn’t easy and it’s a lot harder than one would like to think. I’ve seen some good stuff, but I’ve also seen a lot of different stuff. It isn’t a direct comparison. It’s not like in certain sports where there is a “compulsory round” where everyone is expected to do the samething in the same order, albeit with their own flair. That’s where a trick ladder contest would be a better level playing field.

All I can say is even if I can get an hour in a day(not happening in this dimension), my 5 months in October will be way behind anything I’ve seen in those videos. But, we all progress at our own pace.

TMCertified: just rubbing that Drop In The Bucket in my face, ain’t ya? No worries, it ain’t going to count against ya!

Note to some:
NO EDITING merely means “don’t cut once you start your routine”. I mean, if you do it 12 times and just keep the camera running the whole time, just pick your best take. If you do it 12 times and stop/start each time, that’s fine too, but I don’t need to see you turning the camera OFF or ON. By editing, I mean “don’t slice and dice your best parts together into one montage”. This is a “one shot, one angle” thing, but you’re welcome to choose which take we get to all see.

So, to all I’ve seen: keep it up. Good stuff! I’m sorta depressed I’m so far behind, but at the same time, I still want to improve and get as good as what I’ve seen.

haha, my editing is so bad, I have no idea how to do that.

Come on Studio geez, vote already! Haha. You only have 1 more day :slight_smile: Even though with how close it is your vote may become very important. I’m very surprised that we have only had 8 people vote so far. Seems a little strange. Not sure why that might be.

You shoulda competed anyways man! Ideally judging should have been based off experience too not just trick difficulty. Not everyone has the time to throw for four or five hours every day. I can only throw in the evening after work and I’m usually exhausted. Next time you should tho. The more the better

I throw maybe max 1 hour a day on weekdays, maybe 2 hours on weekends.

:smiley:

Cmon people, we need votes to balance this thing out!

Hi Gang,

Day 2 looks to be coming to an end and we only had two more people vote today. Tomorrow, depending on if any more contribute may be the last day and Friday we will reveal the winner. So, if you would like to vote, now is the time. So far we have only had 8 votes out of over 400 hits…unless it is mostly Swatnoodle watching his video over and over which could be the case :wink: just kidding!

We had a little bit of a shake up in the voting today with Swatnoodle taking a pretty good lead and a little shuffling in the middle. Here are the results thus far. Let’s see if we can’t get a bunch of people to vote and support the future of YoYo’ing! (Well except me…as it was pointed out earlier, I’m not bad for an old guy just starting lol! Thanks my wife has been making fun of me all day!)

Swatnoodle - 12
Dynikus - 24
Nicholi2789 - 28
TMCertified - 34
GMana - 34
DBYoyoer - 37
Kipp556 - 56

Guilty Face

hehehehehhehehe. Who does that? :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s my vote. DO NOT KILL ME.

OK, here it goes:

1: Gmana
2: TMCertified
3: Dynikus
4: Swatnoodle
5: Nicholi2789
6: kip556
7: dbyoyoer

My logic behind my voting. PLEASE do not take anything as a discouragement. You all did great and were all unique and I ENCOURAGE you all to continue!!

Also, this wasn’t easy and I somewhat question some of my decisions, but I have to get this done NOW because I have to focus on other things that are way more priority and I also promised to get it done today.

Personally, I’d like to see a few more videos from each.

Dynikus:
Age 17, throwing 9 months
Seems relaxed and confident. I see mistakes but are recovered, which in and of itself is a show of skill. If this was a “competition”, that would be a mark, but here, I am looking for things to award
With that kind of music, I would expect a bit more. Liked the mix-up between advanced and beginner type stuff. It worked.

Kip556
Age 14, throwing 4 months.
Vacuuming an the background TV and the fan. The fan offered an annoying strobe. Ah, ambiance. All that was missing were siblings yelling in the background, a screaming baby, dogs barking and gunfire. Being largely off-center left a lot to be seen. The whole thing felt of “afterthought”. This unfortunately weighs heavily even though it shouldn’t. I can’t see the string, can’t see much but a moving yo. Angle also distracting.

TMCertified
Age 30, throwing 5 months
Far beyond my 5 months, although I’m at 4 months right now. No time to practice. Interesting working with a handicap/obstacle, as that’s how I have to work. Clearly understands the “Showmanship” angle, which isn’t surprising. Maybe a few too many holds. Nice end, very strong. Overall, one of the better routines. Sorry, gotta take this one as one of my favorites. Music did nothing, it was like slapping a random track on, but I’m not judging that. The fact that one understands that if you’re making a video you gotta understand how the camera sees things is highly useful. While the camera may be zoomed out and you see a lot more, you also see it all, which is a plus. I’ve always encouraged throwers to give the camera some room to breathe.

Keep in mind us “older folks” don’t take to this as readily.

Nicholi2789:
Age 22, Throwing 5 months.
Sideways? Really?
Seems to be enjoying himself quite immensely and seems to be quite advanced for 5 months, regardless of age. Clearly, grunge and yoyo go well together. While I seee mistakes, hey, we’re talking 5 months. None of us are close to perfect. Even so, an impressive first offering.

Swatnoodle
Age 16, throwing 5 months
Good flow and clean performance. UNderstands how to play to the camera but not necessarily to an audience Note the front throw done facing sideways so we can see what’s going on? Smart move!. This was more about “clean” rather than also about presentation. Kind of cold though, no emotion. No offense, but this was rather expected. A mistake lead to a seamless correction/redo to recover, so nice! No audio bed, that’s fine. Always love the sound of a spinning yoyo. Now, go clean up that messs in the corner!

dbyoyoer:
Age 13, throwing 6 months.
Dark string doesn’t help against a black T-shirt. Obviously not afraid to do high risk stuff, but a lot can’t be seen due to poor camera angle and distracts to the point where since I can’t see what’s going on, I can’t score for it. Potential is there. BUt there seems to be problems. Is the string too long? Compared to the other players, this one seems more simplistic. It is still way better than me. Even with the age variant…

Gmana:
16, 6 months
Music too annoying. Can’t stand that crap. Then again, I just finished a weekend of having to deal with crap like that. Audio muted. However, clean performance and an interesting ending nobody else attempted anything close it. Performance was definitely geared to not really “showing off”, but to try to place “high” in the contest, which if you’re competing, is what you do. His style is a bit more laid back, considering the hyper music. He likes you to see he landed it, even if briefly, which I like.

Gmana and Swatnoodle are competing nearly head to head thanks to age and time.

:D. Looks like I have a rival. Just a question though. You say we are head to head, though you place me 4th and him first :/. Could you explain this to me? (Yeah… I wanna win this haha)