No Yo-Yo is Better Than the Other

In many yoyo forums today, it is a commonly asked question as to what yoyo is the best, or if “A” yoyo is better than “B” yoyo. It has become such a commonly asked question, that we here at YoYoExpert have compiled a list in order to aid in such questions.

The truth of it all, is that no yoyo is better than the other. It really comes down to your preferences, or what you like more. Size, shape, weight, etc. all play an important role in choosing a yoyo right for you, so take a gander at the list below:

1. What size do you prefer? (Big, small, medium, etc)
  2. What shape do you prefer? (Be specific: Round Butterfly, Flat Rims, pointy shape, H-Shape)
  3. What response do you prefer? (Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad, etc)
  4. Do you like to mod/maintain it?
  5. What weight is ideal to you?
  6. Does color matter?
  7. How does your style relate to the yoyo? (What kind of tricks do you like to do? Fast? Technical? Smooth? Slacks?)
  8. What is your price range?
  9. What is your skill level?

By answering these questions, it will make it easier on us to help you choose a yoyo you would like. So in conclusion, asking what yoyo is better than the other is an unanswerable paradox, in a sense.

15 Likes

I completely agree with you here, Samad. Great post. :slight_smile:

its better THAN the other fyi samad lol

I’m guilty of that very thing sorry :-\ but it dose come down to what you realy want and no yo is better than an other. after asking what people felt about diffrent yo’s i still went with what i wanted to have since befor i asked ::slight_smile:

Fixed ;D

1 Like

lol but you CAN say that a HM is better than a lyn :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Size the same
  2. Shape the same
  3. Response the same
  4. I don’t mod
  5. Hitman design way cooler!
  6. Hitman better at grinding cause of its metal rims!

So in conclusion, I dont agree :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. Im sure you’re gonna get a better stand at this arguement Samad rofl

I agree samad but I’ve posted one of those topics and what I really wanted to know was why each was a good yoyo. Also if someone were to think one yoyo is better than another, then they would be more likely to explain why the yoyo is good

Much like Samad’s opening post, there is a ton of merit in this as well. There are a lot of good yos out there these days, and we all play with most of them. Subjectively, a lot of them all have a characteristic or two they do better than most others.

As opposed to saying yo X is better than C, it might be more conducive to say yo X does Y better than C, if you follow my elementary and ill-informed attempt at algebra. :wink:

I don’t claim to be an expert in this regard, I assure you, but maybe we could do something like this…

What yos sleep for the longest?
What yos have the “smoothest” throw and play-feel?
What yos are better than most for grinding?
What yos take large or small bearings?
What response system is better for X play style, trick, etc.

You get the idea.

Again, this is all subjective. That is to say, people will surely disagree with a given opinion. This is to be expected, if not welcomed, as it will by it’s own virtue bring about more (hopefully!) useful discussion. I would imagine that given enough time, a general consensus will eventually come about as to what yo does what relatively better.

If someone were to ask which yo is the best for a beginner, or what tricks they should learn first, I guarantee you this “general consensus” I speak of would become readily visible as the answers started rolling in. No reason this practice can’t extend a little deeper, eh?

Entirely depends on what you are looking for.
Reading reviews is a good place to start if you are trying to compare yo-yo’s. You also have to decide what exactly you are looking to do. If you are looking to IRG, then an 888, or a California would be better then a Project (Cause it has a very minor IRG) or a Meteor (Cause of the Caps)

You looking to Grind? Then a Project (Cause of the Grooves) or another Beadblasted yo-yo would be better then a FHZ.

You want to know what you are getting? Read a review. A good review will break down everything for you and relate it to you.

you CAN say yoyojam dm is better then duncan imperal shape :wink:

Not if you want a Looper. Like I said, it is all about Preference and what you plan to do with it.

Maybe for you, but if i mod a lyn to sleep for 5 minutes and add hubs i’d say it’s better :smiley:

Samad, i get what your trying to say. But, they have some begginers on here and really don’t know the meaning of BETTER in yo-yo talk. For me better is yeah pereference.

I like undersized yo-yo’s so i shoulden’t get a big yo-yo. But begginers think like “better” is spin time. When i was a begginer, I got the DM only cause I heard that it spinned really long. But now i have to think about it, do you like the shape of it, do you like the size, how smooth, and weight.

I’m just trying to say some begginers say in the forum like DM or HM. And in that thread they will say Which is better. They are thinking about spin time. I know because just like i said up there when i was a begginer I thought a “good” yoyo was how long it spun, but now i got ALOT better and now i know what to look for in a yo-yo.

~Steven

I just got pwned.

And also, yay, dryoyo is here!!!

1 Like

how did you get her to sleep 5 min???

1 I like a size like Dark magic but smaller or bigger doesnt matter.
2. butterfly shaped and ok big gap
3. uhm really one like dark magic so if its too responsive ill just use lube.
4. no I leave it how it comes. All i do is clean the bearing and change string and change gap size sometimes.
5. No color doesn’t matter but it should look ok.
6. I dont really understand that question :frowning:

1. What size do you prefer? Small or kinda average
  2. What shape do you prefer? butterfly
  3. What response do you prefer? o-rings
  4. Do you like to mod/maintain it? I want to
  5. Does color matter? You bet!
  6. How does your style relate to the yoyo? I mostly do 1A,4A and 5A(soon)

I’m getting the PGM! :smiley: ;D

I know that someone touched on this already, but “which yoyo is better” is a fine question for someone who has no experience. As someone who was a total beginner not too long ago, I can appreciate that question. I think a beginner yoyo is best for the type of person who might ask that question. A fully responsive yoyo, maybe. Depends on your budget. Perhaps a Duncan Imperial is best for a total beginner. Maybe that person wants a little more challenge, then maybe some of the lower priced YYJams are good.

Maybe we can put together a good list of six (or so) beginner yoyos that a newbie can refer to. Each type of yoyo can carry with it a description of its performance and what it is best for. Make a thread like that easy to find and then we might avoid the same “which yoyo is better question.”

Anyone other than a beginner should search the forums here and other places for reviews of the things they might like…

cool

Probably with a KonKave Bearing.