New yoyos with slippy binds

Gotten a few yoyos recently (Skyline, original Iceberg, Basilisk to be specific) that I’ve found to have slippy binds since I got them. Ended up switching out the pads on the Skyline and that fixed it. Could do the same on the others but seems odd that they are so slippy. Have tested various strings on them. Maybe it’s a preference for tighter binds? Or a matter of breaking in the pads? Curious if others have had similar experiences. Is there a way to speed up the break in process?

Yeah, pads can need some break-in in general. My Basilisk was fairly slippy at first but that did improve as the pads broke in. Can always switch to a thicker string as well. And in some cases I find that switching from pure nylon string to a poly/nylon blend or straight poly can reduce slippiness, too. Seems that poly can be “grabbier.”

I actually despise nylon for this reason. Ammo by yoyo string lab usually fixes this problem for me with YoYos like this

1 Like

Cool, thanks guys. Will play with some thicker string for a bit and see what happens

1 Like

My experience has been that poly is more consistent on riskier binds, but once nylon does bind, it binds tighter.

Iceberg is very slippy on binds didn’t have that much of a problem with the skyline, but it is heavily rimweighted . Typically more rim weight can lead to slippy binds

1 Like

Sometimes pads (or batches of pads) come out more slippery or plastic-y than expected. I’ve had this happen before, you can always fix it with a pad replacement, sometimes by breaking in the pads, and sometimes by switching to a thicker string (which usually isn’t desirable).

1 Like

Yoyojoe1 just uploaded the review of the basilisk and mentioned the importance of breaking in the pads.

1 Like

You can also try a little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip, run it around the surface of the response pad and it should “sticky” it up a little bit too.

3 Likes