Help: All binds grabbing great on a particular throw except for sky bind

I got a recently released yoyo and I love it. It feels great and binds well for me in all possible binds except one: The sky bind (coming out of a double or nothing or trapeze and throwing the yo-you up into the string). Anyone else have this happen? It’s a first for me.

Try some thicker string. I use yysl plutonium on my stubborn yoyos

3 Likes

I thought about that, but the string is a Bad Wolf Co that’s a perfect color match for it, so I was hesitant, plus it binds/whips fine except for that one kind of bind. I guess I’ll try that. I have some YYSL Kapow.

1 Like

Sky binds can be a little trickier to have grab consistently. I can recommend two things.

1. if your string is “slick”, it could cause it not to grab every time. Nylon strings typically tend to be slicker, especially wooly nylon.

2. for sky bind, if you don’t have enough string catching inside the catch zone, you’re less likely for it to bind. So make the yoyo hit closer to your throw hand to give it more string to grab onto.

I thought of one more idea so I have edited my original comment.

1. you said it’s a newer released yoyo, pads do have a period of break in before they are really consistent. For example, when I got a dunk when they came out I needed to break in the pads for a little before binds were tighter and snappier.
4 Likes

Yes, it’s a “Slicc” which is nylon and new so not too wooly yet. I’ll try the closer to the throw hand when I get home. Thanks.

1 Like

I believe when he mentions “Wooly” he is referring to a type of nylon, not a worn condition. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes that is what I mean :joy:

Update: hitting closer to the throw hand binds faster, but too fast. I’m wondering if the fact that this throw is so much lighter than I’m used to is why it’s feeling so different than others in this one particular bind. I’m right handed and if I throw it straight up or more to the left, it won’t bind easily, but if it goes more to the right, it binds best. Thanks for the help.

1 Like