New Yoyo Help

Hey everyone,
I’m brand new here to the forums, and recently started yo-yoing again and am looking to upgrade to a metal Yoyo. I’ve been using the Wedge 2.0 but I figured it was time to get my first metal yoyo. I’ve got a few yoyo’s i’m looking at and was trying to keep it under $50. I have been looking at the Spotlight, Shutter, Cybercrash 2, Shortcut, and the Null. I would appreciate any feedback and recommendations.

4 Likes

Any of those would be a good throw for you. I’m especially partial to anything from C3 or yoyofriends though. You should just pick the one that looks the coolest to you.

3 Likes

anything that you listed should be great, as long as you stay away from the dv888 …

3 Likes

What do you like about C3 yoyos? I really like the design of the Cybercrash 2. Yoyo Factory is actually local to me as well so I do really like that. But, I am keeping an open mind since I’ve never really dived into unresponsive play or owned a metal Yoyo before.

1 Like

C3 makes good yo-yos…shortcut is supposed to be fire and everything yoyofriends seems like people love like good bang for your buck. I don’t have any of these but I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them and grab whatever you think is the coolest I agree w that at this point. you’re about to have fun and welcome!

1 Like

They are smooth and quality and I like their designs. Yoyofactory stuff looks good too but the only aluminum I have from them is from 2009ish, so I can’t offer a review of the shutter but it’s really popular.

2 Likes

The shortcut yoyo would be a great first metal yoyo. I have tried several budget yoyo’s and the shortcut is one of the best.

1 Like

I love the couple of C3 yoyo’s that I have, but they don’t meet your requirements. The Speedaholic XX I have is plastic and the FX is a hybrid above your budget. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one of theirs, and almost did buy the Cyber Crash.

I was recently looking at almost the same options as you. I was considering the Shortcut and the Cyber Crash/Cyber Crash 2, or possibly a Colossus VI. Then somebody here suggested the Null, and that is what I ended up buying. I love it and would make that choice every time if I had to do it over again. One thing that’s notable its that it is a higher grade of aluminum than some of those other choices. Amazing bang for the buck.

2 Likes

Another vote for the Null, $35 is great for a 7000-series aluminum yoyo. One caveat though, I own two Nulls and they both have anodizing flaws from the factory. But the Null is the one I reach for most often as a daily. It’s that perfect sweet spot between playing great and being cheap enough to not make me cry if it gets nicked by a seatbelt buckle or whatever.

Another caveat, I haven’t played the other yoyos on your list except the Shutter. The Shutter is nice but I prefer the Null.

Ivan

1 Like

Wow thank you so much for this information! What do you prefer about the Null over the Shutter?

If you’re local to YYF you’re local to the national yoyo contest happening this weekend, could show up there and shop around…

I can also recommend the Null, great yoyo. That and the shortcut would be my votes from that list. Spotlight Ultra is good if you can stretch the extra few bucks.

3 Likes

I didn’t know there was a Yoyo contest here this weekend! I may have to try and get some free time to check that out! Between the Null and Shortcut which do you prefer? I’ve pretty much got it down to those 2 yoyo’s based off everyone’s recommendations!

1 Like

Bit of personal preference, I find myself picking up the Null more. You’ll like either of them!

For $50, I would dig in between couch cushions until you could afford a One Drop and stick with your wedge until you can afford one. You should only need a few bucks. If you look used as well, you would find one for $50.

2 Likes

I would also suggest the recognition. I believe it is in stock for the first time in ages. I have both the recognition and the null. The null is a good yoyo. It is wide, smooth catchable and has a very pleasant weight. The recognition just feels like a step above though. It has incredible spin time and stability, feels pleasant on the string, and performs as well as most bimetal yoyos. I normally recommend the recognition or the silenus to newer yoyoers. Both of these throws provide the stability and spintime that really helps when learning tricks. I tend to prefer the recognition because it is faster in play than the silenus, but some people really enjoy the way the silenus feels on the string.

1 Like

under 50 I would suggest deviant, shutter wide angle (just add 5$),normal shutter, edge fs 2.0(35usd), and ill add more later

I’m a C3 freak so I got to recommend the Cyber 2 but honestly, as everyone else has said, those are all good choices. Also consider the YYF KO as well.

I would recommend the Laevatinn Yoyo from yoyoexpert. Honestly, it is a really good yoyo, for only 30 dollars

2 Likes

Just get both.

1 Like