New Markmont. Formula Strings!

I too am curious!

1 Like

NIght Moves are crazy thin and on the stiff side, I ended up giving mine away.

Yeah these are the ones I prefer as well.

Did not care at all for these personally, and I’d put the Markmonts all above them. The nylon wears at a different rate than the poly on the Long Cuts and things get… weird.

3 Likes

I’ve only had my long cuts for a couple weeks. I’ve had other nylon/poly go weird, so I know what you’re talking about. I was hoping the long cuts wouldn’t be as prone to this. They feel stiffer than any other nylon/poly I’ve tried. It’s OK, I prefer the dragons and foams anyhow.

1 Like

Try one of the yellow foam strings, or if you’re into pink copernicus, or the orange night moves. The blue dragons feel very much like dragons. Those all seem to be members of the same family. The ones I mention give me what I liked about the boutique nylon strings without the unpredictability, and they definitely last even longer.

The one downside is that the stiffer markmonts require me to be a bit more deliberate with my binds on some yoyos. On the upside they make a couple of my snaggier clyws bind just how I want them to. I keep the thicker and thinner varieties on hand, I find I have to sometimes have to try a couple till I find the best match. These strings really have some nice synergy with flowable silicone. A dragon, ~4.5 gap and flowable feels like my ideal response.

4 Likes

Can anyone answer this question?

1 Like

Some are string connoisseurs, I can appreciate that, but I’m not at any level where it matters, and don’t know enough whip tricks to appreciate fine nuances.

I think strings become more important to a player who reaches a level which I’ll never be a part of.

1 Like

I’m guessing 5 or 6… @YoYoExpertGarrett or @Markmont?

1 Like

5pack :+1:t6:

8 Likes

Aye man I’m glad you’ve taken the time to really try a variety out. That’s definitely how I try to advise all interested to approach MF. There’s a lot of features and characteristics within each formula that you really cant fully grasp until you put in some play time and exploration across multiple to be able to really cross compare and feel the diffs BUT on the flip side, it can and is a very enjoyable process since a lot of those benees are very new to your hands. First time I used Night Moves I felt delighted lol. Extremely punctual string and fast as all get out. Copernicus saved my rear in a major way at Philly Nats because it’s very very aversive to sweaty hands - still jams solid in nasty conditions.

Yellow and green hues are tricky colors to get to play/feel like DRAGON. Diff colors have diff play characteristics and then the combination of those dyes on diff fabrications varies drastically. Long story short there’s a ‘lot’ of r&d that goes into trying to mimic a play/feel style vs just trying stuff and seeing what benees are yielded :joy:

5 Likes

A few have drawn this conclusion and y’all right - 65, Amy and Rebby are very much gateway formulas. I would classify those as ‘progressive classic’ in their style.

3 Likes

Yeah, 5 packs. I’ll add that to the page.

5 Likes

I’ve been a long time Markmont Dragon user, 2014 I’m guessing is when I bought my first pack and I still have some in the pack left! Why??? Because it takes FOREVER to wear out a Dragon string. Sorry, I don’t have all the names down, but I’ve tried most of the new MF’s and they all seem to be having very similar results.

When I first heard Evan say he was stopping production of Toxic strings I put out a WTB ad everywhere I could think of. I couldn’t think of being with out them :joy: I’ve now got several life times worth of Dragons. For unresponsive play, I’ve been preaching these for a while and will continue to!

Here is the CF, it has a solid 6-8 months on this one string, still plays like new

10 Likes

I figured thats the case but it never hurts to ask!

3 Likes

Do these strings need to be stretched at all before playing or is it better to let it happen during play?

It’s amazing. I’ve used string that felt and looked bad after an hour or so.
I know it’s possible for string to last that long (months), but are we talking about a lot of hours? If not, I have string 10 years old that’s still fine. Unused .

1 Like

Yeah I definitely like a string that’s more coarse and textured that’s why I was leaning towards the Dragons. Thanks for the suggestions

About to add a 5 pack to my cart, and if anyone can answer this question it will decide which one for me:

Do any of them feel like completely fresh poly for more than a couple hours of play?

2 Likes

They feel different than any poly I’ve ever tried. They have almost zero elasticity, but they’re very lively—whereas typical poly loses its liveliness once it’s elasticity is gone(which takes me about 30 minutes), making slacks and whips take much more effort and the timing changes as it wears. Markmont. Formulas are great at whips and slacks, and they stay that way for a long time. Night Moves is the whippiest string I’ve ever tried.

I recommend trying a few. The thinner stuff like Dragon, Draken and Night Moves can make more difficult or low spin binds problematic, but of course YMMV.

Cumulus Foam and Copi feel and play more like a really good poly, but still have a nice textured feel. They last a long time. I’m still using the first one I bought a month ago.

Edit: TLDR Yes and No. get Cumulus Foam, Copernicus and Dragon to start if you’re not sure which to try. You won’t regret it, it will change your life. If you hate them, I’ll buy them from you.

3 Likes

AT LONG LAST! I can expect to experience some of these strings in the (hopefully) not too distant future. Finally got around to placing my first ever YYE order (for those who are interested an Unspoken Murmer and some Dragon and Cumulous Foam strings). Hurrah!

3 Likes